Looking for a subwoofer to pair with audiengine a5+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a pair of audiengine 5+s and I am looking for a sub I can pair with these speakers that will also accept the variable output so I only have to use one volume knob on the speakers after I initially set the bass level relative to the volume of the speakers. My budget is around 300-400 and I would prefer something compact.

Any suggestions?

I do have a energy s10.3 I got from purchasing some other speakers for my tv from craigslist, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to hook them up to use both the left and right channel variable output on my audioengines. It seems I would have to setup some complicated system involving a mixer to mix both channels together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For the A5's on my computer I use the Outlaw M8 (Hsu STF-1). They work very well together.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention I live in Canada and I'd rather not have to ship from the states if they're going to charge tons for shipping and customs and all that.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
where in Canada? Svs has a distributor near Toronto.

The SB1000 is 499. A little higher than your budget but A nice sub for sure.

http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/contact_us.html

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Isn't the RCA outputs on the A5+ variable? If so then you should simply be able to hook up a single RCA to the back of the sub and speakers. My older A5s have fixed outputs that are not controlled by the volume knob so the volume has to be controlled by the sources in order for the sub and speakers to chance volume together. Have you tried your A5+'s with the Energy sub?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

If I hook up a single rca to the back of the sub from the speakers than I'm either getting bass from the right channel or from the left channel, not both. Is there any way I can combine the left and right into a mono audio signal? I've read you're not supposed to use Y adapters.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan34 View Post

If I hook up a single rca to the back of the sub from the speakers than I'm either getting bass from the right channel or from the left channel, not both. Is there any way I can combine the left and right into a mono audio signal? I've read you're not supposed to use Y adapters.

Interested in knowing the answer to this as well. smile.gif

Currently having the same dilemma as TS!
post #8 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM

Liked: 12
I have the Audioengine a5+ speakers and use the Audioengine S8 subwoofer with them. Easy to connect and they all sound great together.

Larry Davis
post #9 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslow View Post

I have the Audioengine a5+ speakers and use the Audioengine S8 subwoofer with them. Easy to connect and they all sound great together.

So you just connect your source to the A5s and connect the sub to the A5s variable pre-out? Source -> A5 -> S8

Also, how do you control your volume? Using the A5s volume knob?
post #10 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizumi View Post

So you just connect your source to the A5s and connect the sub to the A5s variable pre-out? Source -> A5 -> S8

Also, how do you control your volume? Using the A5s volume knob?

Yes. But you need a sub with left and right RCA inputs. Some home theater subs online have a single input meant for the LFE out on a receiver.

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #11 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yes. But you need a sub with left and right RCA inputs. Some home theater subs online have a single input meant for the LFE out on a receiver.

I see. I have one more question and hope you guys can put up with me as I am newbie at these things.

I'm a bit confused by a post I saw when I was doing my research. (Confused by the part marked in bold.)
Quote:
Adding a sub to powered monitors can be tricky and limiting. You need to find a sub that either has RCA passthroughs allowing RCA signal in and Out or to use a PAIR of RCA Y-Adapters to pass signal in and out to a sub that has only single RCA channels. It also means you will no longer be able to change the volume of the monitors with their volume knobs as that would mean unbalancing with the sub's volume. All volume would need to be controlled via the input device. PC or Other. I am recommending those two 12" versions as low end extension on powered monitors is usually good so LOW low end might be all that is added.

Pro's and Con's of Self Powered Monitors. PROS - You always have the right amplification because it is built in and hard to over-drive and damage your speakers. Setup is simple and easily transportable. Flat response. CONS - Nearly no upgrade path that is cheap (get new monitors essentially). Mostly for near field <4' listening. Difficult to repair or add a subwoofer.

(1) Does this mean that if I connect them the way I illustrated above using a sub with RCA passthrough, I will also lose volume control on the monitors?

(2) Does this apply also if I were to hook up the A5+ as such: PC -> A5+ -> Sub using the A5s variable pre-out?

Sorry if I seem to be hijacking the thread as I thought TS may be intrested in knowing the answers to the question I'm asking also. But if TS wants me to move it somewhere else it's alright as well.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM

Bump
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page