Where to place my MK Sound SB-12 Subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am a bit stumped on what to do with my new sub in my rectangular room. I have tried several different ideas and nothing seems to sound right. The room is as shaped below. The link to my sub is here

It is a rectangular room and very hard to place this big sub. Any tips are appreciated! Thanks in advance. cool.gif

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 766
That's going to be under sized/powered for that room environment unless you keep the system volume levels unusually low. I'd start with corner loading as close to the seating as possible. (the position on the diagram). Also check the basics----1)experiment a bit with the phase setting, 2)be sure the crossover on the sub is turned all the way up/disabled, 3)calibrate.

Tom V.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Under sized and powered? Do you have any suggestions as this is a $1,200 sub with 250 RMS smile.gif

I have it pointed straight into the corner now.. could you explain the difference?

Thanks again

post #4 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post

I am a bit stumped on what to do with my new sub in my rectangular room. I have tried several different ideas and nothing seems to sound right. The room is as shaped below. The link to my sub is here

It is a rectangular room and very hard to place this big sub. Any tips are appreciated! Thanks in advance. cool.gif

Try the front left corner front firing about 12 " from the rear wall and 8 from the side and pull the couch about 1/3 to 1/4 of the room length and check for nulls sound like your siting in one.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Like this?

post #6 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Your biggest problem is your seating position. With the sofa against the back wall like you have it, you'll be sitting in high pressure zones for the reflections off the back wall, The frequency response will sound very boomy at some frequencies and thin at others. Can you re-orient the room with front soundstage on the left wall and the seating in front of the opening to the kitchen?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips.

I didn't draw on the drawing, but on the left wall, is a fireplace. I am pretty stuck on the current set up with other furniture, etc. I have to work with what I've got frown.gif

post #8 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Under sized and powered? Do you have any suggestions as this is a $1,200 sub with 250 RMS smile.gif

I have it pointed straight into the corner now.. could you explain the difference?

Thanks again

The cone orientation isn't going to make a significant difference in this context. I'd just keep a minimum of 3" or so between the cone and the nearest obstruction(wall, furniture, etc).

Don't worry about power ratings, look instead for objective data on the overall system performance (www.data-bass.com for example).

Much larger enclosure but that is, in large part, why you'll get much better performance at a given price range.

Tom V.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tom. I got this MK Sound SB-12 for free so.. I can't complain. I thought a $1,200 MSRP sub would be awesome but I guess not..

Where would be a good place to sell this SB-12 if I decide to do so?

post #10 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I replied in your duplicate thread, but will mention here again that you should try the sub crawl. And the others are correct, you should move that couch away from the wall if you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

The cone orientation isn't going to make a significant difference in this context. I'd just keep a minimum of 3" or so between the cone and the nearest obstruction(wall, furniture, etc).

Don't worry about power ratings, look instead for objective data on the overall system performance (www.data-bass.com for example). If you don't mind buying internet direct there's *much* better performers available for less cost. Here is one example http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

Much larger enclosure but that is, in large part, why you'll get much better performance at a given price range.

Tom V.

You gotta love Tom! The first sub he recommends is a competitors! biggrin.gif:D

For the record, I love my PSA XS15s (Tom is one of the owners) and their customer service is second to none. If you're gonna upgrade, I can highly recommend PSA and Tom!

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #11 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Tom. I got this MK Sound SB-12 for free so.. I can't complain. I thought a $1,200 MSRP sub would be awesome but I guess not..

The classified here on AVS, Audiogon, Craigslist, Ebay, etc.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #12 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

In the box store world it's a nice sub, it just doesn't compete in the audio world for the money. Free is good. Even if you could move your couch a few feet from the wall (even sub depth) you might like the change.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I killed the duplicate thread in audio theory.

Yes, I am realizing in home theater, "big", "expensive" etc are all VERY relative terms smile.gif

I am just jumping into to "higher end" components and I thought my room was quite small but I guess that is relative too.

post #14 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Careful, you may become an addict like the rest of us. wink.gif

So, how many cubic feet you got there?

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #15 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I replied in your duplicate thread, but will mention here again that you should try the sub crawl. And the others are correct, you should move that couch away from the wall if you can.
You gotta love Tom! The first sub he recommends is a competitors! biggrin.gif:D

For the record, I love my PSA XS15s (Tom is one of the owners) and their customer service is second to none. If you're gonna upgrade, I can highly recommend PSA and Tom!

Call me cynical, but the reverse psychology here seems pretty obvious.

I'm just sayin'.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #16 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I'm just sayin'.

Craig

Opinions vary....next time I'll just say...."whatever you do make sure you pay full retail for an over priced, under-perfomer rather than ever consider ID....or for that matter anything using a 15" driver!.
rolleyes.gif

I'll edit it out now before anyone else gets their cynicals in a bunch,

Tom V.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I will get more accurate measures and drawings ASAP --

I can't fit a 15" sub in my room so I will have to find the best bang for my buck if I sell the MK Sound..

I will do the sub crawl tonight.

post #18 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Opinions vary....next time I'll just say...."whatever you do make sure you pay full retail for an over priced, under-perfomer rather than ever consider ID....or for that matter anything using a 15" driver!.
rolleyes.gif

I'll edit it out now before anyone else gets their cynicals in a bunch,

Tom V.

Tom,

Sorry if you were offended by my cynicism. You and other ID companies are in an awkward situation when it comes to these fora. You are not allowed to actively market your products, but obviously the internet "word-of-mouth" is the life blood of companies like yours. Therefore the best you can do is to offer excellent customer support and technical advice, (which it is obvious you do very well.) When you do this in threads dedicated to your own products, no one will question anything. There are threads dedicated to your products, as well as threads dedicated to Hsu, SVS, Seaton Sound, JTR, Velodyne, Funk Audio, and others. All those companies have benefited richly from exposure on AVS. In addition, they all have "principles" providing support on the fora. No one has any problem with any of that.

It is only when you go into other manufacturer's threads and offer advice and technical support that some of us more cynical members will start to raise our eyebrows. When you come into a thread about an MK Sound sub... and then recommend an Hsu sub... I have to ask myself... "What's his motivation here? Does he *really* want the guy to buy an Hsu sub?" I immediately think of the reverse psychology aspects.

Don't get me wrong; I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor with Power Sound Audio. I think it's great to have another high value competitor in the market. I also welcome your expertise and helpfulness. You clearly have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share. I just think you need to identify yourself and your affiliations in your signature, and limit your posts to threads that are specifically about your products. If you do that, you will be more genuine and your posts will not meet with any cynicism, including mine.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

post #19 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

No offense taken on my part but I also don't care for AVS forum drama -- A good sub is a good sub.

What I cannot figure out though is I have a sub par Sony 8" Ported sub that came from a HITB and it is sounding very similar to my "high end" MK Sub at 8x the cost. I have been playing around all night moving it around at different angles, phase, crossovers, different locations around the room, different height, etc etc. It sound equal to or about the same as the Sony 8".

It sounds ok but quite boomy regardless. Explosions sound like a loud, drawn out boom instead of anything punchy.

Another question, should I go for a 8" MK Sound (free) vs the 12" ?

post #20 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:

What I cannot figure out though is I have a sub par Sony 8" Ported sub that came from a HITB and it is sounding very similar to my "high end" MK Sub at 8x the cost. I have been playing around all night moving it around at different angles, phase, crossovers, different locations around the room, different height, etc etc. It sound equal to or about the same as the Sony 8".
That probably indicates that what you're mainly hearing is the room, not the sub. Read this:
http://www.realtraps.com/articles.htm

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

Like this?

Sorry I meant putting the sub up front in the left corner with the same placment method of 12"from rear wall and about 6-8" from the side wall as for the couch 1/3 to 1/4 of the room forward towards the center of the room till you get the best bass response!
post #22 of 23 Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just sayin'.

Craig

Cynic!! biggrin.gif

My take was quite different - I just saw an experienced forum member trying to help another without blatantly promoting his own products. I'm relatively sure that the OP had no idea who Tom is.

Just MHO.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #23 of 23 Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Quote:

I'm just sayin'.

Craig

Cynic!! biggrin.gif

My take was quite different - I just saw an experienced forum member trying to help another without blatantly promoting his own products. I'm relatively sure that the OP had no idea who Tom is.

Just MHO.

You would almost think so but he's been poaching in the Epik thread as well. see post #19104 . Subtle PR is my guess.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page