SVS PC12-PLUS Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First off, let me say I've never done this sort of thing before and I'm no expert...So go easy on me...

My first impression, I was expecting a large sub and that's what I got. It looks bigger in my room than I thought it would, apparently this a common impression.

I was worried when I received it because there was major damage to the box, and it was NOT double boxed. After removing the sub from the packaging and doing a thorough inspection, thankfully, I found no damage. I placed it in the only location I have for it and hooked it up.

The system I am using is this...

Denon AVR-3313ci
DefTech BP8060ST fronts
DefTech CS8040HD center
DefTech SR8040BP surrounds
OPPO BDP-103 BluRay

I level matched the subs in the DefTech towers and the SVS with an SPL then ran Audyssey. All speakers were set within +/- 3.5db
Crossovers at the AVR were set to 80Hz (front and center, my adjustment) 150Hz (surrounds) I set the crossover on the SVS to 63Hz, 24db slope.

With that out of the way, it was time to have some fun.

First up, Master and Commander. I set the volume at 0....Reference Level (I did put a few hours of internet radio on them first)
I had watched this with just the DefTechs and thought it sounded good. The addition of the SVS brought it to a whole new level. The first attack scene, WOW, what the SVS added was simply amazing. I've never had low frequency response like that....ever....and it was CLEAN, CRISP, and CLEAR...simply amazing.

Next up, Snow White and The Huntsman.
I couldn't crank this one up to much, my wife was sleeping. While the sound track didn't seem to be as intense as the previous movie (could have to do with the volume being down) I was still very impressed with how it sounded. The best way I can describe the sub response...PRECISE...

Next was some music. Rush - Moving Pictures, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon, and Toy Matinee (DVD audio)
Rush...Clean and exact
Pink Floyd...F'in Impressive
Toy Matinee...WOW

This is a VERY MUSICAL sub, I'm very, very impressed. I was looking at the PB12-NSD, I'm glad I bought this one.

To this point I have not been able to get serious about dialing everything in properly (REW issues, but that's another thread) but I must say, given what I have heard so far...This is a serious sub, I am very impressed with it and glad I bought it....Worth every penny....

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Nice little write up.

One Question, if you set the cross over for the speakers at 80 and the sub at 63 what happens to the frequencies in between? 63-80?

Wouldn't the crossover in the sub be better at 80hz or 90hz?

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

post #3 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Nice little write up.

One Question, if you set the cross over for the speakers at 80 and the sub at 63 what happens to the frequencies in between? 63-80?

Wouldn't the crossover in the sub be better at 80hz or 90hz?

Athanasios

The DefTech subs are working in that range, with the SVS set at 80Hz it seemed a little boomy.

I now have REW working, so I hopefully be able to take some measurements and fine tune everything.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work...
post #4 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Oh, Ok I did not know the Subs in the Def's had their own Cross over.

Athanasios

Love this CRT addiction !!!

post #5 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Oh, Ok I did not know the Subs in the Def's had their own Cross over.

Athanasios

They don't have their own crossover. The crossover in the AVR is set at 80HZ and the sub 1 out is split to the two DefTechs. Sub 2 out goes to the SVS. The crossover on the SVS is set to 63Hz.
So it is cascading.

Where I work...
post #6 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM

Liked: 14
Great purchase. The PC12-Plus is a great subwoofer, I have mine hooked up to my computer for music duty.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Congrats on the sub.

Question though, why would you want to intentionally use cascading crossovers?

9 times in 10 it'll be better to just use your bass management in your AVR and disable the crossover in the sub (SVS).

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Congrats on the sub.

Question though, why would you want to intentionally use cascading crossovers?

9 times in 10 it'll be better to just use your bass management in your AVR and disable the crossover in the sub (SVS).

That's what I did first and it sounded a bit boomy so I changed it. From my seat it sounds better.

Where I work...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page