Replacement amp for subwoofer (ARS115PSB) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased an Acoustic Research powered sub (ARS-115PSB) years ago & it's finally given out. It still powers on, but the light stays red & no sound comes from the speaker. I don't know what part/component is no longer working, so I'm looking to replace the plate amp. I'd like to maintain the same specs or better for the amp & know I'd most likely need to make/fabricate an adapter plate. I've been looking at Bash, Dayton, O-Audio & Yung amps...
Any ideas/suggestions on a good replacement amp?

The ARS-115PSB specs:
250 watts RMS @ 8 ohms
Freq. Response: 30-100 Hz (±3 db)
THD: 1% @ 200 watts
Signal-to-Noise: >90 db
Crossover Freq (-3db): 50 Hz @ Min, 200 Hz @ Max

The (cutout) plate dims are: 8-1/4" x 11-3/8".
There is a second cutout, smaller than the one above, about an inch further into the box: 7-1/4" x 10-7/16"

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can obtain Dayton and Yung amps from Parts Express. I have the 240w amp and 500w PE BASH amp. I used the BASH amp as a repair on a 9-year old 15" subwoofer about four years ago. Rather than cut and paste, I had my son make a rectangular shape made of 2"x4"s which he glued to the back of the subwoofer. He had to extend the connection from the plate amp to the speaker and merely screwed the plate amp into the back of the 2"x4"s.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by black ice View Post

I purchased an Acoustic Research powered sub (ARS-115PSB) years ago & it's finally given out. It still powers on, but the light stays red & no sound comes from the speaker. I don't know what part/component is no longer working, so I'm looking to replace the plate amp. I'd like to maintain the same specs or better for the amp & know I'd most likely need to make/fabricate an adapter plate. I've been looking at Bash, Dayton, O-Audio & Yung amps...
Any ideas/suggestions on a good replacement amp?

The ARS-115PSB specs:
250 watts RMS @ 8 ohms
Freq. Response: 30-100 Hz (±3 db)
THD: 1% @ 200 watts
Signal-to-Noise: >90 db
Crossover Freq (-3db): 50 Hz @ Min, 200 Hz @ Max

The (cutout) plate dims are: 8-1/4" x 11-3/8".
There is a second cutout, smaller than the one above, about an inch further into the box: 7-1/4" x 10-7/16"

Thanx!

Assuming the LED lights *red* for standby and green for on/active....double check the easy stuff first. 1)Be sure the sub cable is still connected to the correct ins/outs. 2)try a different cable----any old audio or composite video cable will work for this test. 3)Double check the receiver setup....be sure all speakers are set to small, subwoofer is set to ON/YES. Probably a long shot but all of the above will only take a few minutes and you might get lucky.

Tom V.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 94
So, how is this sub in general?

I currently use an NHT SW2Pi 10" powered sub in my theater, but would like to upgrade to a larger driver, as the NHT will bottom out on the lowest passages.

I came across an ARS115PSB a while back...it had a blown amp, but the driver and enclosure are fine.

Is it a good enough sounding sub to spend the cash on a replacement amp, or would my money be better spent elsewhere?

I really like the way my NHT sounds, it just doesn't go low enough.

Thoughts?

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I have a Dayton 250 watt plate amp in my old B&W sub. I chose it because it fit the existing hole without modification. It works fine. I have a 300 watt Yung in my home built 15" sealed sub. I like it better. It is light, generates virtually no heat and stays on all the time thanks to the class D architecture. The Bash amps are also available from Parts Express but I don't own one. I would think any of them would get the job done for you.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page