SVS PC-12 plus on its side? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This may sound a little crazy, but I was curious if can can lay the pc-12 on its side?

Essentially trying move things around and one of the thoughts was to move a couch and behind it lay the pc-12 on its side. My biggest concern is that negatively impact performance. I also realize that I can just test with it, but I thought I would also just ask as I want to believe that I am not the first person to try and do this.

Since it is open at the bottom where the subwoofer fires, I am curious what a portion of it blocked would do to performance.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 605
There won't be any performance penalty that I can see, as long as the driver and ports are uninhibited. How much space do the driver and ports have?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
the ports on the top wood have 2-3 feet between them and the nearest wall. the drivers would have roughly the same space as if sitting on the floor except instead of being open all the way around the base, it would only be call it 66% as 33% is on the floor and no longer open.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Two to three feet is more than enough open space, I am sure it would be OK.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Just make sure the sub won't move during loud explosions etc. You'll loose performance. if your willing to screw
Feet into the side of your sub then do it, or the sub will slide around from the movement of the woofer etc. Unless you can some how strap it down.

Athanasios
post #6 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I ran my pb12/2 Ultra on it's side for quite some time with no ill effects in measured FR compared to it's normal orientation. I never had it move either, even during the most demanding scenes.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Use the packaging foam as a stand

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

PSB Imagine B for sale:http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post987985
post #8 of 8 Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I saw it hear first and I always couple my speakers to the floor with Spike for the same reason.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/644330/auralex-subdude-a-must-have/1080#post_22944481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Possibly, but there's another factor to consider. Any movement of the cab requires the expenditure of energy. That energy which moves the cab does not produce sound. With a typical efficiency of only 3% to start with you don't want to be wasting energy making the cab dance. Foam may keep the vibrations of a dancing sub from being transferred to the floor, but it won't make the cab move less; in fact, it would allow it to move more. This is where a more rigid coupling to the floor works better.
Things move about because the acoustic output of the sub causes the walls, floor and ceiling and large objects, like doors and windows, to vibrate. Smaller objects on or attached to those surfaces will then also vibrate. If you want to stop them from rattling either isolate them or secure them. It doesn't matter what the floor is made of, the walls and ceiling and other large surfaces will still vibrate. Even if the floor is soft it doesn't transmit low frequency vibrations to the walls. The maximum deflection of a floor will occur where it's softest, right smack in the middle. The strongest part of the floor, where it will not vibrate, is where it connects to the walls. Try hitting a drum some time, preferably a floor tom. The sound heard when you hit the head in the middle is totally different than that when you hit it near the edge.

Athanasios
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page