post #271 of 279 Old 08-02-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Thinking about getting the SB13 Ultra to replace my SB12 NSD in my small bedroom, 13x14. Not sure if it will over power the room or not.
Nope, for movies well worth it.

I've got SVS SB12+ and SB Ultra 13. 12" in the hifi, 13" in the home theatre. I tried the 12" for movies, pretty mediocre if you ask me. Put it back in the Hifi and ordered the Ultra (had a PC Ultra before the SB Ultra so knew what Ultra was like) And that's in a room probably twice as small as yours.

Go for the Ultra if movies is important to you.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 279 Old 08-02-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The SB12NSD slams pretty good in my bedroom, I would love to see what a SB13 Ultra would do. It would be 100% for movies, plus i like the sound of a sealed sub better than a ported.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #273 of 279 Old 08-02-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If you think the SB12 slams hard...lol. The difference is massive. Easily worth the £700 or so extra. The SB12 is providing bass but not so much you fear of it like the Ultra 13. yeah that's why I changed from PCU13 to SBU13, I tried SB12 in place of the PC U13 for music, and prefer SB. So decided to side step from one Ultra to another.

No regrets going for Ultra. Could have gone for dual SB12 (SB2000) but with the single SB12 wasn't impressed so I doubt duals would give the same effect.

Analogy would be like you going from Pioneer Elite plasma to a 28" LCD. Does the same thing...just quite disappointing.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #274 of 279 Old 08-03-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
If you think the SB12 slams hard...lol. The difference is massive. Easily worth the £700 or so extra. The SB12 is providing bass but not so much you fear of it like the Ultra 13. yeah that's why I changed from PCU13 to SBU13, I tried SB12 in place of the PC U13 for music, and prefer SB. So decided to side step from one Ultra to another.

No regrets going for Ultra. Could have gone for dual SB12 (SB2000) but with the single SB12 wasn't impressed so I doubt duals would give the same effect.

Analogy would be like you going from Pioneer Elite plasma to a 28" LCD. Does the same thing...just quite disappointing.
I got my SB12 up for sale.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #275 of 279 Old 08-03-2014, 06:27 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Your room is very similar to mine. I also have cathedral ceilings and it's fairly open (approx 3,500 cu. ft.). Whether the SB13-Ultra will satisfy you depends upon how loud you listen to music and movies. If your preference is at or near reference levels, then you'll need a sub with more output (or think about going for multiples). If, however, your listening habits are like mine (and many here), where peak levels in movies and for music rarely exceed 90 dB, a single SB13-Ultra will perform very well indeed.

It's hard to see from my avatar picture, but my Ultra isn't in a corner either. Matter of fact, it's about a foot from the wall. Why? Once I did the sub-crawl and then did some minor tweaking (moving it a bit in all directions), that ended up being the best position for sound at my seating position. It is important to have more than one position in mind when locating a subwoofer simply because it is the sub itself (and not you) that tells you the best location. If that can't possibly be done, that's when multiple subs come into the picture to help smooth out those terrible room modes.
Yeah I listen pretty loud (100dB peak!) so I'm leaning towards a PB12+. It's probably the best model for what I want; size, output, price, tuning options, cosmetics, etc. And it's the most expensive model I could ever think about going dual!
However, I am currently thinking about upgrading my receiver before adding a sub.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #276 of 279 Old 09-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Considering buying

I'm eyeing this sub for adding to my 2-channel setup with Totem Sttafs and an Anthem MRX-310 but I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me. I'm just looking to get better bass in the low frequencies for music. I don't want to have boominess or to feel sub-auditory frequencies through my chair, and I'm in an apartment with neighbours below me so a sub that's too strong in that department would be a problem and I would have to either attenuate it with PEQ or turn it off entirely at certain hours. But OTOH, my "media room" (such as it is) is a big open space with vaulted ceilings and > 6000 cubic feet.

What do you owners think? Would the SB13-Ultra be a good fit for me?

Also, I'm curious if anyone takes advantage of the frequency response going up to 460 Hz given that frequencies in that region could be perceived as directional. Has anyone tried setting the crossover higher than 80 Hz? Would you say that adds to music or takes away from it? My Sttafs already go down to ~40 Hz.
post #277 of 279 Old 09-20-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The SB Ultra 13 is all the sub you'll need in a 2 channel HiFi.

You wouldn't set the subwoofer higher than your L/R speakers roll off, that is just the flat response throught the frequency range. I would set no higher than 80hz, but personally you could try a bit lower.

I doubt those Totem's go down to 39hz. No way. Do you have a AVR or stereo pre? I'd probably use a higher crossover on the speakers, and cross the sub around that frequency, also helps removing LF from L/R speakers. Or use the SB Ultra 13's high pass feature (adjustable frequency and slope to boot) and crossover slope is adjustable as well.

I don't have a huge room so can't comment whether a sub is needed for music, but I guess it would.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #278 of 279 Old 09-20-2014, 12:24 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The SB13 would be perfect in that scenario. Cross the fronts over at 80hz, integrate the sub well and it should satisfy exactly what you're looking for.

If the sub is next to your front speakers I wouldn't worry about even a 120hz or 150hz cross over . Can always try it. . My subs sit under my fronts and I've used them with even a 200hz cross over (unless it was 150)without issue.

Edit:above 120 with only one sub may start to be a bit directional, but as I said, you can always try it.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #279 of 279 Old 09-20-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks you two. I think I will pull the trigger on it.

The roll-off for the Sttafs in my room starts around 100 Hz so I'll try a crossover near that. I definitely wouldn't use 40 Hz.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page