Official SVS SB-13 Ultra Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #331 of 340 Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post
I understand.

I actually like the Curved front.

I have the PB2000 with the same style grill and the PB 1000 with the square cloth grill. To me the curved grill looks more elegant.
But everyone has different design preferences .

Athanasios
Thanks for the response, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a refresh before purchase time then, you never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 340 Old 03-17-2015, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Beginning to notice kick drum in music more with SB Ultra 13. May integrated my SB 12+ in the hifi, use outlaw ICBM1 between pre and power cross over at 60hz letting sub do <60hz

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #333 of 340 Old 04-10-2015, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Beginning to notice kick drum in music more with SB Ultra 13. May integrated my SB 12+ in the hifi, use outlaw ICBM1 between pre and power cross over at 60hz letting sub do <60hz
Kick drum ... yes indeed!

Check out the kick drum in Trashbat's remix of Jeph 1 & I-Mitri's "Blaze"

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault-2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	659977

Name:	S11_14-12-06-_084.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	659985

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS SB13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #334 of 340 Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New SB13 Ultra - Placement Questions

Greetings all. I just got the SB13 Ultra (well, about a month ago) when I moved into a new home and so far loving it! I continue to be impressed by it for all applications - music, movies, morning news, whatever I throw at it. I upgraded from a BIC PL-200. I was on the fence for a long time between it, the Rythmik E15HP, and the JL E112. I finally decided on the SB13 for its in-between woofer size, impressive woofer construction, tweakability if I wanted it, and the strong amplifier. At a point I had also considered the Seaton Submersive, but I honestly didn't want to spend that kind of money as I was also buying a home. I also thought it may be overkill. I think I was right - this thing fills and moves the room and my neighbors have told me they can hear it (but are super cool about it). Anyway, so far so good. A couple questions though.

First, is there any difference in sound with the grill on or off? I actually like how it looks with the grill on better. But I understand the purpose of the thing is to move air and can't help but think that grill hinders the movement of some air.

Secondly, I need to keep the subwoofer generally in the corner area that you see in the pictures. I'm not sure if it should be as far in the corner as possible, or as far away from the corner as possible, or if that matters at all. Thoughts on where it should be placed there? Also, should it be toed in toward the main listening position or parallel to the side or back wall? Any help is appreciated.

If it helps, the sub is in a living room on the second floor, which is about 15 feet x 16 feet, with 9 foot ceilings. The second floor of the home is essentially a 37 foot by 16 foot rectangle (I've attached a last photo of the entire floor, with the speaker setup on the left), and the living room takes up about 2/5 of it (or 15/37ths, to be exact).

Thanks all for all the info in this thread. Major thanks to AVS member JimWilson who has been extremely informative and patient in answering my questions. Hopefully I can be of some help when I know more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1872.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	716642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1900.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	716658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	716674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1901.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	716682  

Rob

Samsung 64F8500; Oppo BDP-103D; Denon 4520; Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 Left & Right; Sonus Faber Venere Center; SVS SB-13 Ultra.
post #335 of 340 Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
^ I assume you did the subwoofer crawl to get it located where you have it. If not, it might be a good idea. But you can also walk around the room (and around your listening position) to see if there is better bass than what is at your listening position. Moving a sub, even as small as 3 to 6 inches in any direction can make a difference in the sound quality at the listening position. BTW, furniture sliders are your friend.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #336 of 340 Old 05-14-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyyyrawb View Post
Greetings all. I just got the SB13 Ultra (well, about a month ago) when I moved into a new home and so far loving it! I continue to be impressed by it for all applications - music, movies, morning news, whatever I throw at it. I upgraded from a BIC PL-200. I was on the fence for a long time between it, the Rythmik E15HP, and the JL E112. I finally decided on the SB13 for its in-between woofer size, impressive woofer construction, tweakability if I wanted it, and the strong amplifier. At a point I had also considered the Seaton Submersive, but I honestly didn't want to spend that kind of money as I was also buying a home. I also thought it may be overkill. I think I was right - this thing fills and moves the room and my neighbors have told me they can hear it (but are super cool about it). Anyway, so far so good. A couple questions though.

First, is there any difference in sound with the grill on or off? I actually like how it looks with the grill on better. But I understand the purpose of the thing is to move air and can't help but think that grill hinders the movement of some air.

Secondly, I need to keep the subwoofer generally in the corner area that you see in the pictures. I'm not sure if it should be as far in the corner as possible, or as far away from the corner as possible, or if that matters at all. Thoughts on where it should be placed there? Also, should it be toed in toward the main listening position or parallel to the side or back wall? Any help is appreciated.

If it helps, the sub is in a living room on the second floor, which is about 15 feet x 16 feet, with 9 foot ceilings. The second floor of the home is essentially a 37 foot by 16 foot rectangle (I've attached a last photo of the entire floor, with the speaker setup on the left), and the living room takes up about 2/5 of it (or 15/37ths, to be exact).

Thanks all for all the info in this thread. Major thanks to AVS member JimWilson who has been extremely informative and patient in answering my questions. Hopefully I can be of some help when I know more.
What's the distance between the speakers and your listening position? From the pictures it looks like your speakers may be too close together.

Corner loading that sub will only reinforce the output. Looks like you do have XT32 with Sub EQ that should help nicely.
post #337 of 340 Old 05-14-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^ I assume you did the subwoofer crawl to get it located where you have it. If not, it might be a good idea. But you can also walk around the room (and around your listening position) to see if there is better bass than what is at your listening position. Moving a sub, even as small as 3 to 6 inches in any direction can make a difference in the sound quality at the listening position. BTW, furniture sliders are your friend.
I didn't do the subwoofer crawl, but I have moved it a little bit here and there to see where it sounds best at the MLP and at various places in the room where I'm likely to listen to it, including my kitchen. The wife would not help (/ did not approve) of my putting the 100-pound black box on the new couch with me crawling around on the floor. (Can I blame her, though?) I could still do it, I guess, but it doesn't really excite me either, in light of the fact that I'm generally moving around the room/sitting in different whenever the system is on.

Rob

Samsung 64F8500; Oppo BDP-103D; Denon 4520; Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 Left & Right; Sonus Faber Venere Center; SVS SB-13 Ultra.
post #338 of 340 Old 05-14-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
What's the distance between the speakers and your listening position? From the pictures it looks like your speakers may be too close together.

Corner loading that sub will only reinforce the output. Looks like you do have XT32 with Sub EQ that should help nicely.
The speakers are definitely closer to one another than they are to me. That's something I have been meaning to correct. also considered putting the sub between the speakers to aid in correcting the distance between them, but that would then mean I wasn't corner loading. I take it from your response that corner loading is a good thing, right? I've always heard that it reinforces, and think it's especially needed here given the size of the room.

Rob

post #339 of 340 Old 05-14-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
The speakers are definitely closer to one another than they are to me. That's something I have been meaning to correct. also considered putting the sub between the speakers to aid in correcting the distance between them, but that would then mean I wasn't corner loading. I take it from your response that corner loading is a good thing, right? I've always heard that it reinforces, and think it's especially needed here given the size of the room.
I would experiment and see what sounds best to you. Good thing is that you have the best version of Audyssey to help integrate that sub properly. Make sure to re-run it anytime you move the sub.
post #340 of 340 Old 05-14-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
I have my SB13 between my mains. Sounds great!

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version