Official SVS SB-13 Ultra Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 92Likes

post #361 of 529 Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Looks really nice...
Thank you I'm very proud of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 529 Old 09-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I no longer use Audyssey with my setup @ 90% music.

I've got mine facing towards the corner now and get a great bump in output 1500~cu.ft.. I use to run mine @ -5 AVR -5 AMP, now I'm at -2 AVR -0 AMP. Also bumped the xover from 80hz to 120hz. I get a much better response and more output

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #363 of 529 Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless95 View Post
I no longer use Audyssey with my setup @ 90% music.

I've got mine facing towards the corner now and get a great bump in output 1500~cu.ft.. I use to run mine @ -5 AVR -5 AMP, now I'm at -2 AVR -0 AMP. Also bumped the xover from 80hz to 120hz. I get a much better response and more output
omg you sure want to shake your house mine are at -24 on amp and -4 on avr lol
Reckless95 likes this.

DENON AVR-X4300 running 5.2.4, monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654, LAPTOP ACER Aspire V17 Nitro Black edition

post #364 of 529 Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
That's good news Tom, thanks! No more sitting nervously with the remote in my hands then?
No. My dad has also had his dual PB13Us for 4~5 years now and has only managed to bottom them out once. He runs his PB13Us @ -5 AMP +2 AVR. They shake the entire house, from the basement to the second floor. Neighbors love us

However I do love my SB13U, I run her @ ~1500 cu.ft.. 0 AMP -2 AVR. She still has juice in her to be pushed harder. I have my volume maxed @ 0db on my AVR when listening, nothing will ever beat that kick in the chest or chest slams. I wish I could afford more of these.

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #365 of 529 Old 09-28-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
omg you sure want to shake your house mine are at -24 on amp and -4 on avr lol
Yeah, only for some short listenings. I think it shakes everything on the second floor and some of the main floor. LOL. Neighbors love me

AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #366 of 529 Old 09-28-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless95 View Post
No. My dad has also had his dual PB13Us for 4~5 years now and has only managed to bottom them out once. He runs his PB13Us @ -5 AMP +2 AVR. They shake the entire house, from the basement to the second floor. Neighbors love us

However I do love my SB13U, I run her @ ~1500 cu.ft.. 0 AMP -2 AVR. She still has juice in her to be pushed harder. I have my volume maxed @ 0db on my AVR when listening, nothing will ever beat that kick in the chest or chest slams. I wish I could afford more of these.
I'm running my SB13 at -15 on amp and -3 on AVR. It calibrated it at -9 with XT32 so I'm running 6db's hot. My room is 1900 cu ft. You are running that sub about 20 dbs hot if your room is only 1500 cu ft.

5.2 Livingroom
Sony 65XBR850D 4K
Marantz SR7011
Klipsch RB-75's Cherry, RC-64II, RS-52's Cherry
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
post #367 of 529 Old 09-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All. After being on the fence for a couple months as to how to improve the bass response in my room, I just bought a 2nd SB13, and have questions on phase and PEQ.

My first SB13 is to the right of my left main speaker, sitting between the left main and my center speaker. I placed the second one across the room and to the right side of my couch ("nearfield," I guess). The second one is basically across the room from my right speaker. So the subs are across the room from one another, and diagonal from one another, with each facing away from its respective wall toward the opposite wall. I ran Audyssey MultEq XT32 with Sub EQ on my Denon 4520, and the subs both sound pretty good in the room. I would like to know if there's any benefit or need to change the phase of the 2nd sub to 180 degrees (or something else) given that it is facing in the opposite direction of the first. I spoke to SVS and they said Audyssey would handle any needed phase adjustments. My question is, is there any need to change phase on either sub before and/or after running Audyssey?

After running Audyssey, I also set the PEQ-1 to boost at 31 Hz by +2.0 db, with a Q of 4.8, just to get more from the lower end on music and movies. Will that cause any problems?

Thanks

Rob

Sony 65x930d; Oppo BDP-103D; Denon 4520; Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 mains; Sonus Faber Venere Center; Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 surrounds; SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer.
post #368 of 529 Old 09-28-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
I'm running my SB13 at -15 on amp and -3 on AVR. It calibrated it at -9 with XT32 so I'm running 6db's hot. My room is 1900 cu ft. You are running that sub about 20 dbs hot if your room is only 1500 cu ft.
Yeah, when I use to use Audyssey it had set my sub at like -20 in order to reach like -10 AVR side. However, that made my sub feel weak compared to my dads dual PB13Us. That's why I've switched over to not even using Audyssey. Response hasn't seem to change much, however I'll have to measure it. Output is much better now, however maybe adding another would be more beneficial.

There's still more juice I can squeeze out of it I feel like.

AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #369 of 529 Old 09-29-2015, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyyyrawb View Post
Hi All. After being on the fence for a couple months as to how to improve the bass response in my room, I just bought a 2nd SB13, and have questions on phase and PEQ.

My first SB13 is to the right of my left main speaker, sitting between the left main and my center speaker. I placed the second one across the room and to the right side of my couch ("nearfield," I guess). The second one is basically across the room from my right speaker. So the subs are across the room from one another, and diagonal from one another, with each facing away from its respective wall toward the opposite wall. I ran Audyssey MultEq XT32 with Sub EQ on my Denon 4520, and the subs both sound pretty good in the room. I would like to know if there's any benefit or need to change the phase of the 2nd sub to 180 degrees (or something else) given that it is facing in the opposite direction of the first. I spoke to SVS and they said Audyssey would handle any needed phase adjustments. My question is, is there any need to change phase on either sub before and/or after running Audyssey?

After running Audyssey, I also set the PEQ-1 to boost at 31 Hz by +2.0 db, with a Q of 4.8, just to get more from the lower end on music and movies. Will that cause any problems?

Thanks
I have just left both of mine at phase 0 and audyssey take care of the rest since it apply the delays for each subs independetly (subEQ HT)...i wouldnt apply any boost at frequencies since the audyssey is already boosting...if you feel like you need more bass then just raise the avr sub level for whatever dbs seems good enough for you...usually is around 3-6 db after audyssey

DENON AVR-X4300 running 5.2.4, monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654, LAPTOP ACER Aspire V17 Nitro Black edition
post #370 of 529 Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I have just left both of mine at phase 0 and audyssey take care of the rest since it apply the delays for each subs independetly (subEQ HT)...i wouldnt apply any boost at frequencies since the audyssey is already boosting...if you feel like you need more bass then just raise the avr sub level for whatever dbs seems good enough for you...usually is around 3-6 db after audyssey
Thanks, this is helpful. Yeah I just left the phase at 0 and haven't had any problems with the sound. A couple more short questions on setup.

Audyssey set the LPF for the subs at 150 Hz (instead of the conventional 120 Hz) and so far that has sounded good. I haven’t had any problems with localization. Let me know if any of you have had problems with such a higher crossover.

Audyssey also set my mains to Large, Full Band, and set my center channel to Small, crossover at 60 Hz. I have changed those both to Small and crossover at 80 Hz. I honestly have not been able to tell much of a difference in making that change. If it helps, my mains are Sonus Faber Venere 3.0, and my center is the Sonus Faber Venere Center. I think I’d rather have the subwoofer handle all frequencies below 80 Hz if I can do so without issues in sound quality. I’m always looking for mid-bass punch, and I would think the SB13 (2 of them) could do that better than my mains). Let me know if any of that sounds off.

Rob

Sony 65x930d; Oppo BDP-103D; Denon 4520; Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 mains; Sonus Faber Venere Center; Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 surrounds; SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer.
post #371 of 529 Old 09-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyyyrawb View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. Yeah I just left the phase at 0 and haven't had any problems with the sound. A couple more short questions on setup.

Audyssey set the LPF for the subs at 150 Hz (instead of the conventional 120 Hz) and so far that has sounded good. I haven’t had any problems with localization. Let me know if any of you have had problems with such a higher crossover.

Audyssey also set my mains to Large, Full Band, and set my center channel to Small, crossover at 60 Hz. I have changed those both to Small and crossover at 80 Hz. I honestly have not been able to tell much of a difference in making that change. If it helps, my mains are Sonus Faber Venere 3.0, and my center is the Sonus Faber Venere Center. I think I’d rather have the subwoofer handle all frequencies below 80 Hz if I can do so without issues in sound quality. I’m always looking for mid-bass punch, and I would think the SB13 (2 of them) could do that better than my mains). Let me know if any of that sounds off.
As for LPF for LFE you can just lower it to 120hz on the other hand i have it at 100 since in one thread i have read that some of the bass experts says that 80-100hz is a perfect spot to get rid of the boominess and get a more tighter sound...experiment and you will see...as for crossover i have all at small and i am experimenting with a crossover of 90 or 100 hz for all speakers as you said that ultras will handle the bass sounds better than other speakers...and also when i listen i listen with dynEQ ON and ref.level offset at -5db with subs 5db hot...i am experimenting from movie to movie but i think i will settle for crossover at 90 hz for all the speakers...no problems with localisation whatsoever even at 100hz crossover

post #372 of 529 Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Hey guys I went from a couple of ported subs (V1500 PSA and PB1000) to this SB13 Ultra and I'm trying to figure out if it can give me the clean explosive bass for movies.. I just hooked it up today and put it in the corner by my couch (I sub crawled and it seemed like this was the best place to put it).My X-1200 Denon AVR had it at -7.5db calibrating it with the volume turned on the sub to -16db.

I am running it hot 6db now so -1.5db and it doesn't seem to be hitting very hard at all. For instance, in the opening scene of Mad Max 3D, when the car goes over that hill in the beginning, my ported subs would just shake the entire area. This one just makes a little noise, barely even noticeable.

I have never actually heard a sealed sub prior to this so I do not know what to expect for movies. I wanted clean, tight bass, but still with a big punch and I'm not sure if the spot I have it in just sucks or if this is all it can do for movies.

Please help.

Selling Entire Blu-Ray Collection

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...l#post50923577
post #373 of 529 Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
Hey guys I went from a couple of ported subs (V1500 PSA and PB1000) to this SB13 Ultra and I'm trying to figure out if it can give me the clean explosive bass for movies.. I just hooked it up today and put it in the corner by my couch (I sub crawled and it seemed like this was the best place to put it).My X-1200 Denon AVR had it at -7.5db calibrating it with the volume turned on the sub to -16db.

I am running it hot 6db now so -1.5db and it doesn't seem to be hitting very hard at all. For instance, in the opening scene of Mad Max 3D, when the car goes over that hill in the beginning, my ported subs would just shake the entire area. This one just makes a little noise, barely even noticeable.

I have never actually heard a sealed sub prior to this so I do not know what to expect for movies. I wanted clean, tight bass, but still with a big punch and I'm not sure if the spot I have it in just sucks or if this is all it can do for movies.

Please help.
Hmm I run my SB13 with a Denon also. Sub is at -15 and audyssey set it at -9. I also run it 6db's hot so -3 on AVR. Very close to your numbers. My Ultra hits hard and is very noticeable.
TomC1315 likes this.

5.2 Livingroom
Sony 65XBR850D 4K
Marantz SR7011
Klipsch RB-75's Cherry, RC-64II, RS-52's Cherry
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
post #374 of 529 Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmm I run my SB13 with a Denon also. Sub is at -15 and audyssey set it at -9. I also run it 6db's hot so -3 on AVR. Very close to your numbers. My Ultra hits hard and is very noticeable.
SVS told me to just disregard the Denon receiver and run it at -7.5 to -1.5 in the receiver and then adjust the sub volume itself to -9 to -5. I ended up went -2 on the receiver and -7 on the sub itself and now it has really came to life for my movies.

Hopefully this is okay.. I'm not sure how yours hits hard with those settings. I had it very similar and it had no bass at all to it..

post #375 of 529 Old 09-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
SVS told me to just disregard the Denon receiver and run it at -7.5 to -1.5 in the receiver and then adjust the sub volume itself to -9 to -5. I ended up went -2 on the receiver and -7 on the sub itself and now it has really came to life for my movies.

Hopefully this is okay.. I'm not sure how yours hits hard with those settings. I had it very similar and it had no bass at all to it..
Are you using dynEQ? I dont know how you like your bass but if i want mine ultras to shake the room then i have to crank the volume to -10 or below on avr when watching movies (with audyssey dynEQ)...i usually like to watch around -15 to -18 (subs 5db hot) and i can feel a little/gentle shaking of my sofa which i like but at -10 and below then i can also feel my floor vibrating if the movie has a lot of bass...i dont want my subs to overpower the whole system that is not the point...the sub has to work when it is called upon...i also have a crossover at 90 or 100 hz for all the speakers and all are set to small...i cant imagine how it would sound at your setting of -7 on sub and -2 on avr (i now have -24 on sub and -4 on avr...but our avr is not the same...or it is since it is denon/marantz) i just know that when i tried a -5 on one of mine sub amp then i could really feel that punch in the chest feeling like on the concerts but that is just too much to me...dont over think just set it to yor taste and enyoj as you will have a hard time bottoming out that sub...how do you like the overall sound compared to psa v1500?

post #376 of 529 Old 10-01-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 2563
Quote:
If he has the same exact speakers you do, the same exact AVR, and sits exactly the same distance from the speakers and subs that you do, then you might be corrrect.
post #377 of 529 Old 10-01-2015, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Please help.
You went from two ported subs that likely produced close to 110 dB at 20 Hz, to a single sealed sub that hits 96 dB at 20 Hz and expect it to hit as hard down low? Well, two SB13 Ultras would top out at 102 dB, four would hit 108 at 20 Hz in a perfect world. Unless you listen very quiet, the dual ported subs will naturally hit harder down low on movies, since what you had probably had four times the output of what you have now.
post #378 of 529 Old 10-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
You went from two ported subs that likely produced close to 110 dB at 20 Hz, to a single sealed sub that hits 96 dB at 20 Hz and expect it to hit as hard down low? Well, two SB13 Ultras would top out at 102 dB, four would hit 108 at 20 Hz in a perfect world. Unless you listen very quiet, the dual ported subs will naturally hit harder down low on movies, since what you had probably had four times the output of what you have now.
V1500 is around 104 db at 20hz i agree it is quite a difference but after 30 hz and above they will be very close in output...and also so many movies this day are centered/filtered around 30hz so it really depends on the movie itself and his listening habbits...i think he just need to configure it as per his taste and enyoj ...i was looking at the data-bass and comparing vx15 and sb13u and in max long term output graph there is not exactly a vast difference between the two...interesting

post #379 of 529 Old 10-01-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
V1500 is around 104 db at 20hz i agree it is quite a difference but after 30 hz and above they will be very close in output...and also so many movies this day are centered/filtered around 30hz so it really depends on the movie itself and his listening habbits...i think he just need to configure it as per his taste and enyoj ...i was looking at the data-bass and comparing vx15 and sb13u and in max long term output graph there is not exactly a vast difference between the two...interesting
Given the much improved driver in the V1500 compared to the XV15, the larger enclosure, and more powerful amp, I think the V1500 is closer to 106+ at 20 Hz, and will have much more output across the entire spectrum than the original XV15. I agree that above 30-40 Hz there is probably not a huge output difference, but triple the output in the 16-30 Hz region will be quite noticeable on movies.

At -15 from reference with the sub(s) 6 dB hot, a sub or subs must be able to produce up to 106 dB, which a single sealed sub won't come close to doing in the 16-30 region. The signal is going to be heavily compressed in these low frequencies, whereas the ported sub combo with triple the output in this area will shake things much more noticeably.

The SB13 Ultra is no doubt a great small sealed sub. 10 dB of extra output down low is a big difference though.
post #380 of 529 Old 10-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Given the much improved driver in the V1500 compared to the XV15, the larger enclosure, and more powerful amp, I think the V1500 is closer to 106+ at 20 Hz, and will have much more output across the entire spectrum than the original XV15. I agree that above 30-40 Hz there is probably not a huge output difference, but triple the output in the 16-30 Hz region will be quite noticeable on movies.

At -15 from reference with the sub(s) 6 dB hot, a sub or subs must be able to produce up to 106 dB, which a single sealed sub won't come close to doing in the 16-30 region. The signal is going to be heavily compressed in these low frequencies, whereas the ported sub combo with triple the output in this area will shake things much more noticeably.

The SB13 Ultra is no doubt a great small sealed sub. 10 dB of extra output down low is a big difference though.
yep i agree...but i never tought that xv15 was so close to sb13u...he needs to configure it and see which one he likes better in his fairly small room...and keep the one he likes best

post #381 of 529 Old 10-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Guys I tam thinking that I do prefer the ported sub over the sealed SB13Ultra. The SVS dealer I worked with was able to place a new order for a PC13Ultra (I prefer the cylinder since my space is not too big). I am hoping this one will be a lot better for movies and give me that punch in the stomach that the SB13 Ultra could not do unless I turned it up to ridiculous levels. What do you guys think about my decision? I talked to SVS and they figured this was my best bet for movies and then in the future I could always add another PC13Ultra and it would blow my house apart, lol.

I don't know why I had to not calibrate the SB13 Ultra in my Receiver like on the previous ported subs... All I did on the ported subs was set it at 12 o'clock and then when the AVR reached around -8 to -3, I knew that I had the right bass response and then I just ran it a bit hotter. On this SVS 13Ultra, I had to just set the AVR to a low setting like -2 and then up the volume a lot on the unit itself. I'm not sure why that was the case, when like tommazz said that he was able to calibrate it normally and get such a powerful woofer. Mine was VERY VERY VERY low after Audyssey calibrated it at -7.5 (I ran it at -1.5) and with it at -16 on the sub itself.. It only sounded good when I did the other adjustment to -2 on the AVR and -7 on the sub itself.

I hope this makes sense and I still don't understand why mine was any different. I really hope I like SVS's best offering (PC13Ultra, besides the huge PB13Ultra of course) for movies!

post #382 of 529 Old 10-01-2015, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Man iStorm I feel really bad for you, you've been on this journey for a while now and tried a number of subs and still not getting the bass you like. Is the PC13 Ultra really that much more output than a V1500 which you already tried? I guess we'll find out.
post #383 of 529 Old 10-02-2015, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Guys I tam thinking that I do prefer the ported sub over the sealed SB13Ultra. The SVS dealer I worked with was able to place a new order for a PC13Ultra (I prefer the cylinder since my space is not too big). I am hoping this one will be a lot better for movies and give me that punch in the stomach that the SB13 Ultra could not do unless I turned it up to ridiculous levels. What do you guys think about my decision? I talked to SVS and they figured this was my best bet for movies and then in the future I could always add another PC13Ultra and it would blow my house apart, lol.

I don't know why I had to not calibrate the SB13 Ultra in my Receiver like on the previous ported subs... All I did on the ported subs was set it at 12 o'clock and then when the AVR reached around -8 to -3, I knew that I had the right bass response and then I just ran it a bit hotter. On this SVS 13Ultra, I had to just set the AVR to a low setting like -2 and then up the volume a lot on the unit itself. I'm not sure why that was the case, when like tommazz said that he was able to calibrate it normally and get such a powerful woofer. Mine was VERY VERY VERY low after Audyssey calibrated it at -7.5 (I ran it at -1.5) and with it at -16 on the sub itself.. It only sounded good when I did the other adjustment to -2 on the AVR and -7 on the sub itself.

I hope this makes sense and I still don't understand why mine was any different. I really hope I like SVS's best offering (PC13Ultra, besides the huge PB13Ultra of course) for movies!
Yes it is very interesting ... i think you are a basshead and you need 2xported (pc13u or v1500) in your room to satisfy your needs ...hell i have a proposition for you ...why dont you get rid of all the subs you are trying and just call PSA to send you one (or two ) of their V3600 and be done with looking for a sub it will surely tear your windows and walls into oblivion ...no really it is your money and until you are satisfied just keep changing them...i guess if i lived on the other side of the pond i would too trying until i was happy ...i guess i just dont like that low rumbling and that is why i preffer sealed in my small room over ported ... i am looking forward to reading your comments and hunting a perfect sub for you

post #384 of 529 Old 10-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Man iStorm I feel really bad for you, you've been on this journey for a while now and tried a number of subs and still not getting the bass you like. Is the PC13 Ultra really that much more output than a V1500 which you already tried? I guess we'll find out.
I'm just hoping this one isn't as boomy as the v1500. I'm hoping the quality driver in this will just sound better, like the SB13ULTRA, just with more low end rumble. I'll keep everyone updated!

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it is very interesting ... i think you are a basshead and you need 2xported (pc13u or v1500) in your room to satisfy your needs ...hell i have a proposition for you ...why dont you get rid of all the subs you are trying and just call PSA to send you one (or two ) of their V3600 and be done with looking for a sub it will surely tear your windows and walls into oblivion ...no really it is your money and until you are satisfied just keep changing them...i guess if i lived on the other side of the pond i would too trying until i was happy ...i guess i just dont like that low rumbling and that is why i preffer sealed in my small room over ported ... i am looking forward to reading your comments and hunting a perfect sub for you
I did really like the tight sound that this sub produced. I just think it's really difficult to go from a ported sub to a sealed sub for movies especially. For music, this SB13ultra sounded nothing short of fantastic. I am very impressed by SVSs customer service and quality through this journey and that's why I chose them for my full system. I will keep you updated on my comparisons between the PC13Ultra and SB13ultra .
Cain and tommaazz like this.
post #385 of 529 Old 10-03-2015, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm just hoping this one isn't as boomy as the v1500. I'm hoping the quality driver in this will just sound better, like the SB13ULTRA, just with more low end rumble. I'll keep everyone updated!

I did really like the tight sound that this sub produced. I just think it's really difficult to go from a ported sub to a sealed sub for movies especially. For music, this SB13ultra sounded nothing short of fantastic. I am very impressed by SVSs customer service and quality through this journey and that's why I chose them for my full system. I will keep you updated on my comparisons between the PC13Ultra and SB13ultra .
Yep sb13u really sounds fantastic with music and also in movies too to me at least ...every time i turn my system on i remember how it was when i hear the ultra for the first time...to me it seemed like someone was hitting with a hammer kind of sound compared to previous sub ...i think you made a good choice especially that you can fine tune the pc/pb13u models...you can choose 20hz, 15 hz (that would be my first choice) and aslo sealed if you find it boomy in small rooms...hope that this will be it for you

post #386 of 529 Old 10-03-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm just hoping this one isn't as boomy as the v1500.
Other than low end garbage from Best Buy, subs aren't boomy. Rooms are boomy, and improper setup by users are boomy. In other words, if the V1500 was "boomy", its simply because you did not set it up properly for your room.
dsrussell and tommaazz like this.
post #387 of 529 Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

I just watched Terminator Genysys and at -15 db on avr and subs 5db hot (with dynEQ and ref.level offset at -5) it was a nice ride ...the scene where the bus is rolled over is fantastic ...lucky i live in a house as even at -15 i was able to feel the sound from subs just like my clothes were flapping and the sofa was vibrating with low bass...i cant imagine having a more powerful subs my wife would kick me out that is for sure even now i was looking at her if she was gonna say something but i guess she was enyojing a little massage even if it was not from me ...even my son is enyojing when we are watching transformers and now we are rewatching a ironman and he wants a batman too...fine with me as i never watched those movies with ultras ... really really happy with them

post #388 of 529 Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep sb13u really sounds fantastic with music and also in movies too to me at least ...every time i turn my system on i remember how it was when i hear the ultra for the first time...to me it seemed like someone was hitting with a hammer kind of sound compared to previous sub ...i think you made a good choice especially that you can fine tune the pc/pb13u models...you can choose 20hz, 15 hz (that would be my first choice) and aslo sealed if you find it boomy in small rooms...hope that this will be it for you
Hey, but don't you have 2 of the SB13ultras? :P I do like the fact that you can fine tune it. I'm going to keep it at 20hz for a bit and see how I like it and also try 15hz. I'm not sure if plugging all three ports would be too beneficial over the SB13ultra.

I should be getting the PC13 Ultra tomorrow so I'm happy .

Quote:
Other than low end garbage from Best Buy, subs aren't boomy. Rooms are boomy, and improper setup by users are boomy. In other words, if the V1500 was "boomy", its simply because you did not set it up properly for your room.
Well maybe boomy is the wrong word for it then... Let's just say I did not like the V1500, but I liked the PB1000 and SB13Ultra.

post #389 of 529 Old 10-05-2015, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey, but don't you have 2 of the SB13ultras? :P I do like the fact that you can fine tune it. I'm going to keep it at 20hz for a bit and see how I like it and also try 15hz. I'm not sure if plugging all three ports would be too beneficial over the SB13ultra.

I should be getting the PC13 Ultra tomorrow so I'm happy .

Well maybe boomy is the wrong word for it then... Let's just say I did not like the V1500, but I liked the PB1000 and SB13Ultra.
Yep i have two ...i just didnt like looking at the empty left corner and dreaming of having another sb13u there ...i just hope they last...long
iStorm likes this.

post #390 of 529 Old 10-05-2015, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For anyone who is interested I just posted dual sb13 ultras for sale in the audio classified section.
cchunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page