Official SVS SB-13 Ultra Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #391 of 392 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For anyone who is interested I just posted dual sb13 ultras for sale in the audio classified section.
Sponsored Links
post #392 of 392 Unread Today, 07:17 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Originally Posted by flyyyrawb View Post
Hi All. After being on the fence for a couple months as to how to improve the bass response in my room, I just bought a 2nd SB13, and have questions on phase and PEQ.

My first SB13 is to the right of my left main speaker, sitting between the left main and my center speaker. I placed the second one across the room and to the right side of my couch ("nearfield," I guess). The second one is basically across the room from my right speaker. So the subs are across the room from one another, and diagonal from one another, with each facing away from its respective wall toward the opposite wall. I ran Audyssey MultEq XT32 with Sub EQ on my Denon 4520, and the subs both sound pretty good in the room. I would like to know if there's any benefit or need to change the phase of the 2nd sub to 180 degrees (or something else) given that it is facing in the opposite direction of the first. I spoke to SVS and they said Audyssey would handle any needed phase adjustments. My question is, is there any need to change phase on either sub before and/or after running Audyssey?

After running Audyssey, I also set the PEQ-1 to boost at 31 Hz by +2.0 db, with a Q of 4.8, just to get more from the lower end on music and movies. Will that cause any problems?

Following up on the above, switching the phase of one of the subs to 180 degrees caused a significant improvement in sound quality in the room. This is, again, with the subwoofers on opposite walls, with each facing away from its respective wall (so generally facing in the exact opposite direction the other is facing), and offset from one another along the walls (not directly across the wall from one another). I had begun to notice a few nulls in the room with the subs both set at 0 degrees, and noticed almost no bass response in the rooms connected to my living room. I turned off one of the subwoofers (nearfield) and noticed that some of these nulls went away, the bass actually hit lower, and that I was actually able to feel and hear the bass in the connected rooms. I was close to sending back the 2nd sub. I then had the idea to turn the second sub back on, but adjust the phase toward 180 degrees. I noticed an improvement, and at 180 degrees, the response in the room is amazing. This is what I was looking for in buying a second. I'm not surprised that Audyssey was unable to correctly adjust phase in the subs - it appears to only measure distance (by timing), and loudness (by loudness). I've been listening to some pretty bassy music and watched John Wick this weekend (highly, highly suggest), and I've never heard bass this accurate, even and deep. I would highly suggest at least trying this for anyone with two subs that are not symmetrically situated in the room.

Samsung 64F8500; Oppo BDP-103D; Denon 4520; Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 Mains; Sonus Faber Venere Center; SVS SB13-Ultra x2.
Sponsored Links
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page