Official SVS SB-13 Ultra Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #451 of 484 Old 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner as i have been having a heck of a time getting my new password to work. Got it sorted out now.

Yes i did do multiple runs of Audyssey and then tweaked the sub and speaker outputs to my taste. This way i do know my Integra has done the X-overs for me. Sound is fantastic,,,, my Klipsch speakers are crisp, and i have the SB 13Ultra shaking the house. Just the other day i had Avitar playing and had to let the dog out in the back yard. I didn't pause the movie and had the door closed while i was outside with the hound,,, well good god the gutters and soffets were rattling and are forty feet away from the sub. The window which is thirty feet from the sub was flexing to the point that any reflection was distorting the image,,,, i could see the window moving back and forth. This is in a 28'X 14' with 8 foot ceilings, and is open to a foyer and long hallway. Very impressive sub!! It is an improvement over my Velodyne SPL 1200-R.

Outstanding! That's good to hear.

I am glad that you are enjoying things, and thanks for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 484 Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Outstanding! That's good to hear.

I am glad that you are enjoying things, and thanks for responding.
Thanx, and i appreciate your advice. I have lots to learn as to set things up properly. Up till now i just use some common sense making adjustments based on how things sound and of coarse i've played back different demanding movie scenes and music over and over to get the most out of my sub without over driving the amp and woofer. I do have speaker outputs on my AVR set hotter than what would be recommended here on this forum, but i also don't turn my volume up past -20, so i do know i'm not clipping. Also unless i'm listening music or a long sequence of action in a movie, my fans on my receiver don't engage indicating that i'm not asking to much from my receiver.
post #453 of 484 Old 08-16-2016, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
HI all,

Lord it seems like a coon's age (as the country boys down here in Atlanta would say) since I've posted here. Well actually... it's been AT LEAST that long.

Since I was last active I've retired, (back in 03) and haven't really been keeping up with the whole HT scene anymore (as it relates to customers, latest and greatest gear, etc.).

In any event.... a month ago we came home to find a fairly major lightning strike had hit the back yard. Took out a tree, travelled across the yard about 60' and found the underground (invisible) dog fence then tracked it through about 75'~80' of wire, up and over a rollup door, blowing the transmitter apart, and of course causing all sorts of havoc from the basement to the main system upstairs.

It actually BLEW A TRENCH 40' across the back yard from where it hit the wire all the way to the house!!!!!

But that's not why I'm here, or maybe it is?

As the title above says, I've pulled the trigger on dual SB13 Ultras. That along with a new RX-A3060, a MX-A5000, Furman Elite 15Pfi, Samsung UN78KS9800, (with free Samsung UBD-K8500 4K player).

Needless to say, the lightning strike was fairly devastating. Took out a 42" DLP downstairs, as well as my son's custom built PC. Then upstairs most of the stuff here including my WONDERFUL old friend, my Mitsubishi WS-73 series with the tried and true 9" guns, circa 2004. She's been a good ol' girl, but this hit snagged the convergence board, AND THE SET WAS OFF! Even got the antenna preamp in the attic!

Came home, the system was off (left sound on for the dog while we were gone), turned the system on and POP, no joy. Turned the TV on and the RGB overlay was a good ¼" for each color! Keystoning, overscanning, and picture shift (to the right) is as bad as I've ever seen. Lost the antenna inputs as well. Of course it still 'plays', and actually isn't a bad looking picture, (as long as you reset the 72 point convergence twice a week) but with nobody to repair them, (the convergence board) anymore plus no parts, such as the antenna board, it was easier for the "on your side" insurance company to just pay for the set.

As much as I hate curved screen TV's, the 9800 really is the only game in town about now short of the $25K LG OLED, which mean's I'd have to go to Rio and sell a kidney! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post
I have a question concerning dual SB13 Ultra's. Up to what size cubic foot room can dual SB13 Ultra's operate efficiently for H/T? This room
would be for movies and music.

Yeah me too.
Thing is, my main room is 18.5 x 24 with a 14' cathedral ceiling. TV is on the long wall, 14' brick fireplace to the left, flanked by French Doors on each side. There is a hallway behind that TV wall (3x10x8), then the right wall has a 6' opening to the foyer, (another 18.5 x 10 8T-Shaped opening), then the back right of the wall has a 6' opening to the kitchen, which is 24' (behind the long wall at the back) and extends to the garage. Making that total length from the left placement of the sub and main speaker almost 40 feet!

Doing a quick calculation on the CF I'm getting over 7900 in the main room, and almost 17,000 overall.

Of course it sounded great at the Magnolia showroom (yeah... Best Buy), but that was a MUCH smaller room cubic feet wise. (But it was only 1 sub as well.) Truthfully, I was shocked to see the SVS sub in there at all. Even more shocked at what a KILLER freaking deal I got on the pair! (Needless to say, couldn't have matched it AT ALL from SVS.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPeacock View Post
I installed the new sub on Wed (nice fast delivery from SVS!).

Audyssey 32xt volume setting is -14db. I expected a low setting, since my Thiels are not very loud.

I have since bumped it up to -13db.

The sub completely disappears while listening to music, it fills in beautifully for the missing low frequencies of my Thiels. I'm really impressed with the 'speed', as it is perfectly integrated sound.
In fact, it sounds as if my main speakers are actually providing all the bass!

I watched a few scenes from the recent Star Trek movie and the explosions great, but not mind shattering. I wasn't listening at anywhere near reference levels, but could still hear/feel the low rumble when the enterprise scraped on the wreckage around Vulcan. Watched a couple of the Star Wars movies on BluRay and am thoroughly impressed with the subs performance.

I have the Soundpath isolation feet on the sub.

Negatives (all minor):
1) I don't like the user interface, as it just isn't intuitive to me. It seems like I get stuck in the menu and have to click/double click/cycle through ... Might be a training issue.
2) It's tough to see the display (with my 50+ year old eyes) when the Sub is positioned near a wall (about a foot). It would be great if the display swiveled upward to be seen from above; or was mounted at a 45 degree upward angle.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the sub.

AJ

I too wonder about my almost 60 year old eyes when it comes to walking through all the click, turn, click, back turn, forward turn, double click, OMG did I go too far clicks. LOL

I did go last night and download the manual and read through it, the flow chart should help quite a bit. Luckily though the new Yamaha has dedicated adjustments to not one, but both sub ports that YPAO will handle. Even has PEQ down to 15.6Hz which truthfully.... is why I didn't go for the CX-A5000. (As well as the HD GUI and the other small differences.)

I'm using a Cinema Grand for external amplification, but ordered a MX-A5000 to go with the 3060. FWIW, the 3060 is replacing a 3010 that got hit by the lightning. Been a HUGE fan of Yamaha DSP machines since the original DSP-1 that was only a processor (no amps), through the early processors that had amps, but didn't have tuners, all the way to the current stuff.

That of course and I've had more of their 2-channel stuff than I can remember. Still have the highly regarded PF-800 dual tonearm turntable with both a V15-MR and a Dynavector Karet 23RS in fact.

Any-whoooo.... just wondering if anyone has been working with this many CF with a pair of the sealed Ultras? I can always change to the ported one(s), or maybe one of each.

Actually, I *was* before the lighting, running a ported Paradigm, along with a Paradigm Seismic (the square one, not the weird tube one). Worked decent, but nowhere near what I reckon the SVS's will do.

Hey, anyone have the Excel file and stuff that SVS mentions in their manual for tuning their subs? Caught that when reading it but it's not on their site anymore.

Later all,

Tony
eyecatcher127 likes this.
post #454 of 484 Old 08-16-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 121
The folks at SVS would be able to quickly do these calculations for you (via chat, email or phone) and make recommendations for you. Do not forget to use their very handy Merlin tool as well.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #455 of 484 Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPAV View Post
HI all,

Thing is, my main room is 18.5 x 24 with a 14' cathedral ceiling. TV is on the long wall, 14' brick fireplace to the left, flanked by French Doors on each side. There is a hallway behind that TV wall (3x10x8), then the right wall has a 6' opening to the foyer, (another 18.5 x 10 8T-Shaped opening), then the back right of the wall has a 6' opening to the kitchen, which is 24' (behind the long wall at the back) and extends to the garage. Making that total length from the left placement of the sub and main speaker almost 40 feet!

Doing a quick calculation on the CF I'm getting over 7900 in the main room, and almost 17,000 overall.

Any-whoooo.... just wondering if anyone has been working with this many CF with a pair of the sealed Ultras? I can always change to the ported one(s), or maybe one of each.

Later all,

Tony
Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear about the lightening strike. The only upside is new AV gear. I will take a crack at answering a couple of your questions. First, calculating room size can be confusing, particularly if a listening room opens to other spaces. If you are trying to pressurize a system to Reference volumes down to a particular frequency, then it may be advisable to count hallways and connecting rooms. But several acknowledged sub experts have said that in terms of perceived bass, that may not be necessary.

With that in mind, then, I would calculate your space as about 6200^3 (24' x 18.5' x 14'). But that's plenty big enough, and in my opinion, way too big for two sealed Ultras, or frankly for only two sealed subs of any kind. A lot depends on your listening volumes, your seating distance from your subs, and how much bass boost you like. And the room construction matters too. A more solidly built room may offer more low frequency containment. But I would definitely try two ported Ultras in that space.

For comparison, my own room is 6000^3, my subs are distributed at an average distance of about 12.5', in a very solidly constructed room, with excellent low frequency containment. My typical movie volumes are about -12 to -10, with a lot of sub boost. I have three ported Ultras now, and I am about to add a fourth, because I want a little more headroom.

Your own situation may, of course, be very different from mine with respect to listening volume and preferred sub boost. But I would definitely recommend starting with two large ported subs in this case. The sealed subs just can't provide sufficient output in a space that size. Data-Bass has comparative numbers for the two Ultras (including for the 16Hz port tune for the ported sub, which I would recommend). That comparison will let you see the difference in output. http://www.data-bass.com/systems

The question of whether to do one of each is even easier to answer. The two subs have completely different frequency responses, and it would be inadvisable to mix ported and sealed without some measuring capability such as REW, and some kind of outboard DSP to EQ the large differences. Plus, I really think you are going to need the combined output of ported subs, in any case.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
post #456 of 484 Old 08-16-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
The folks at SVS would be able to quickly do these calculations for you (via chat, email or phone) and make recommendations for you. Do not forget to use their very handy Merlin tool as well.
Yep, used Merlin early on. With my Paradigms it (without surprise) recommended the Ultras, both S and P.

Talked to Darrin today at SVS. Of course he suggested IMAX reference levels may not be possible in the room with the SB's, but said it'd be plenty close. Running a bit tighter of course than the PB he also seemed to believe.

Quote:
Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear about the lightening strike. The only upside is new AV gear. I will take a crack at answering a couple of your questions. First, calculating room size can be confusing, particularly if a listening room opens to other spaces. If you are trying to pressurize a system to Reference volumes down to a particular frequency, then it may be advisable to count hallways and connecting rooms. But several acknowledged sub experts have said that in terms of perceived bass, that may not be necessary.

With that in mind, then, I would calculate your space as about 6200^3 (24' x 18.5' x 14'). But that's plenty big enough, and in my opinion, way too big for two sealed Ultras, or frankly for only two sealed subs of any kind. A lot depends on your listening volumes, your seating distance from your subs, and how much bass boost you like. And the room construction matters too. A more solidly built room may offer more low frequency containment. But I would definitely try two ported Ultras in that space.

For comparison, my own room is 6000^3, my subs are distributed at an average distance of about 12.5', in a very solidly constructed room, with excellent low frequency containment. My typical movie volumes are about -12 to -10, with a lot of sub boost. I have three ported Ultras now, and I am about to add a fourth, because I want a little more headroom.

Your own situation may, of course, be very different from mine with respect to listening volume and preferred sub boost. But I would definitely recommend starting with two large ported subs in this case. The sealed subs just can't provide sufficient output in a space that size. Data-Bass has comparative numbers for the two Ultras (including for the 16Hz port tune for the ported sub, which I would recommend). That comparison will let you see the difference in output. http://www.data-bass.com/systems

The question of whether to do one of each is even easier to answer. The two subs have completely different frequency responses, and it would be inadvisable to mix ported and sealed without some measuring capability such as REW, and some kind of outboard DSP to EQ the large differences. Plus, I really think you are going to need the combined output of ported subs, in any case.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hey Mike!

Thanks for the in depth reply.

Yeah, the lightning this time was/is SCARY! But by the grace of God my gas cans were not in the shop downstairs where the dog fence blew up. My wife's parents passed this year, and we've been moving a lot of his stuff to the shop, (he had a woodworking shop in his back yard) so I'd moved my tractor and gas out of the shop. I honestly think had the 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon premix cans been sitting by the door where they normally sit.... we'd come home to a pile of ashes!

I'll see if I can reply via my phone and UL a shot of the trench it blew up across the back yard when it vaporized the wire. It's amazing!

Above I mentioned my conversation with SVS today. Actually Darrin said it'd be possible to tune the two in the room. He also reconfirmed the PB is more like 3~4 of the SB below 20Hz. That's HUGE.

I generally do not corner load a sub, but one does sit about 3' from the left wall (along the long wall) inside the French doors. There is the possibility of moving one into that corner for more room gain for sure. Could corner load the SB, then put the PB along the wall to the right of the TV, between it and the speaker. That should have both putting out close to the same SPL.

The good thing about the new Yamaha is it has dedicated tuning for both sub channels, so getting the tuning is at least 'possible'. Especially when you consider the excellent tools SVS also supplies in the Ultra(s). Almost changed from the 3060 to the 5000 today but due to it not being able to tune down to 15Hz and having the old GUI I thought better of it. (Did get the M5000 amp though.)

Along those lines.... after reading through the manual I downloaded last night I noticed that way back in 2011 (when they were printed) SVS had 2 Excel files, (with very good instructions on how to use them to get both flat total speaker and sub response, as well as ONLY flat sub response) yet the links no longer worked. So when I was speaking with Darrin today I mentioned them and had him e-mail them to me.

My settlement with the insurance company isn't all that bad, they allowed me $1800 for the Seismic 12, and another $899 for the 3200.... so it's not going to kill me should I go PB all the way. My WIFE might OTOH!

I called the sales guy today actually, and made sure he was ordering them in oak and not piano black. Now I'm thinking about just changing to the PB's in oak. LOL

I gotta' tell ya'.... the price I got on the SB's is friggin' AWESOME!
Considering the same % discount were I go to with the PB's, my allowance miiiiiight just cover both of them.

My concern was just that with them being ported, (and front ported at that), that they'd just be far too much "in your face" for my taste. Being as they can be tuned however, 1 or all three ports, that now has peaked my interest for sure.

I'd really be interested in hearing your thoughts on that Mike.

FWIW, I'll still be using a Seismic, just don't know if I'll put it back in this room. Could always put it on the back wall (or corner) out of phase and move more air back there.
More than likely though, I'll put it in my 2-channel setup in the bedroom. Have a pair of custom built Reimer McCulloughs (in hickory) in there. Was lucky enough to meet Rick back in 2000 and he gave me a pair for my work helping him get into this market back then. Unfortunately, Rick isn't in business anymore, but his excellent loudspeaker designs will continue to live on.

Who knows.... maybe while the WAF is in "just do it" mode I should go ahead and swing for the fences. Although I better darned well do it tomorrow BEFORE they get SVS to ship out the SB's!!!

Later,

Tony
post #457 of 484 Old 08-17-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep, used Merlin early on. With my Paradigms it (without surprise) recommended the Ultras, both S and P.

Talked to Darrin today at SVS. Of course he suggested IMAX reference levels may not be possible in the room with the SB's, but said it'd be plenty close. Running a bit tighter of course than the PB he also seemed to believe.

Hey Mike!

Thanks for the in depth reply.

Yeah, the lightning this time was/is SCARY! But by the grace of God my gas cans were not in the shop downstairs where the dog fence blew up. My wife's parents passed this year, and we've been moving a lot of his stuff to the shop, (he had a woodworking shop in his back yard) so I'd moved my tractor and gas out of the shop. I honestly think had the 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon premix cans been sitting by the door where they normally sit.... we'd come home to a pile of ashes!

I'll see if I can reply via my phone and UL a shot of the trench it blew up across the back yard when it vaporized the wire. It's amazing!

Above I mentioned my conversation with SVS today. Actually Darrin said it'd be possible to tune the two in the room. He also reconfirmed the PB is more like 3~4 of the SB below 20Hz. That's HUGE.

I generally do not corner load a sub, but one does sit about 3' from the left wall (along the long wall) inside the French doors. There is the possibility of moving one into that corner for more room gain for sure. Could corner load the SB, then put the PB along the wall to the right of the TV, between it and the speaker. That should have both putting out close to the same SPL.

The good thing about the new Yamaha is it has dedicated tuning for both sub channels, so getting the tuning is at least 'possible'. Especially when you consider the excellent tools SVS also supplies in the Ultra(s). Almost changed from the 3060 to the 5000 today but due to it not being able to tune down to 15Hz and having the old GUI I thought better of it. (Did get the M5000 amp though.)

Along those lines.... after reading through the manual I downloaded last night I noticed that way back in 2011 (when they were printed) SVS had 2 Excel files, (with very good instructions on how to use them to get both flat total speaker and sub response, as well as ONLY flat sub response) yet the links no longer worked. So when I was speaking with Darrin today I mentioned them and had him e-mail them to me.

My settlement with the insurance company isn't all that bad, they allowed me $1800 for the Seismic 12, and another $899 for the 3200.... so it's not going to kill me should I go PB all the way. My WIFE might OTOH!

I called the sales guy today actually, and made sure he was ordering them in oak and not piano black. Now I'm thinking about just changing to the PB's in oak. LOL

I gotta' tell ya'.... the price I got on the SB's is friggin' AWESOME!
Considering the same % discount were I go to with the PB's, my allowance miiiiiight just cover both of them.

My concern was just that with them being ported, (and front ported at that), that they'd just be far too much "in your face" for my taste. Being as they can be tuned however, 1 or all three ports, that now has peaked my interest for sure.

I'd really be interested in hearing your thoughts on that Mike.

FWIW, I'll still be using a Seismic, just don't know if I'll put it back in this room. Could always put it on the back wall (or corner) out of phase and move more air back there.
More than likely though, I'll put it in my 2-channel setup in the bedroom. Have a pair of custom built Reimer McCulloughs (in hickory) in there. Was lucky enough to meet Rick back in 2000 and he gave me a pair for my work helping him get into this market back then. Unfortunately, Rick isn't in business anymore, but his excellent loudspeaker designs will continue to live on.

Who knows.... maybe while the WAF is in "just do it" mode I should go ahead and swing for the fences. Although I better darned well do it tomorrow BEFORE they get SVS to ship out the SB's!!!

Later,

Tony

Hi Tony,

You are very welcome for the help, and I absolutely think you should swing for the fences here. It would not only take a lot of SB's to equal two PB's at frequencies from about 25Hz down, it would take even more of them to hit IMAX Reference levels in a 6200^3 room. With all due respect to Darren.

I wouldn't worry at all about the ported subs being too in-your-face. It's just like having large, capable speakers. They only play as loudly as you want them to. That's what your sub trim controls and your MV (master volume control) are for. But you definitely would like to have the capability to play loudly, and low, when you want to. And in a large room like yours, or mine, that means large ported subs.

SVS recommends using the 16Hz port tune. That's really what the PB's were designed to use. And that will get you the lowest extension at listenable volumes below 20Hz. That low extension is very cool for modern action movies, where a lot of ULF (ultra low frequencies--below 20Hz) is embedded in the soundtrack. So, I would just use that. I think you will really like it.

Tony, please do not consider mixing a PB and an SB. If Darren told you that was okay, he misspoke. Ed Mullen, SVS's chief engineer and subwoofer guru, has always been very emphatic about not doing that. The frequency responses are just too different. Sometimes people mix ported and sealed subs (of whatever make) and get lucky that it doesn't sound too bad, or just can't tell the difference.

But in the vast majority of cases, it takes measurement capabilities (which most people don't have) and external DSP capabilities (such as a miniDSP) to obtain a good frequency response with strongly mismatched subs. Instead of benefiting each other by enhancing the frequency response, a pair of mismatched subs can actually work against each other, making the frequency response worse than it would be with a single sub of either kind. And you are going to want the output of two ported subs, anyway.

Your Yamaha won't help you at all with that. The EQ it does do only goes down to about 32Hz, and it can't really EQ the two subs separately at all. Part of the value of AVS is to help each other wade through the often confusing marketing rhetoric and ambiguous claims that sub, speaker, amplifier makers sometimes use. The engineering departments and the marketing departments have very different knowledge bases, and different interests, as well. And threads like this one can help to sort that out. I have benefited immeasurably from that help, and I like to pay it forward when I can.

I am not familiar with the Reimer McCullough speaker line, but looking them up, they look like fine speakers, and the hickory finish sounds nice. I am also very fond of some of my older speakers. Displays, amps, and subs have changed a lot in the last 10 years, or so. Speakers, not as much. Good speakers remain good speakers, in my opinion.

Let people know if you need any help dialing in your new subs, and jump on a pair of PB Ultras while you can.

Regards,
Mike
post #458 of 484 Old 08-17-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Hi Tony,

You are very welcome for the help, and I absolutely think you should swing for the fences here. It would not only take a lot of SB's to equal two PB's at frequencies from about 25Hz down, it would take even more of them to hit IMAX Reference levels in a 6200^3 room. With all due respect to Darren.

I wouldn't worry at all about the ported subs being too in-your-face. It's just like having large, capable speakers. They only play as loudly as you want them to. That's what your sub trim controls and your MV (master volume control) are for. But you definitely would like to have the capability to play loudly, and low, when you want to. And in a large room like yours, or mine, that means large ported subs.

SVS recommends using the 16Hz port tune. That's really what the PB's were designed to use. And that will get you the lowest extension at listenable volumes below 20Hz. That low extension is very cool for modern action movies, where a lot of ULF (ultra low frequencies--below 20Hz) is embedded in the soundtrack. So, I would just use that. I think you will really like it.

Tony, please do not consider mixing a PB and an SB. If Darren told you that was okay, he misspoke. Ed Mullen, SVS's chief engineer and subwoofer guru, has always been very emphatic about not doing that. The frequency responses are just too different. Sometimes people mix ported and sealed subs (of whatever make) and get lucky that it doesn't sound too bad, or just can't tell the difference.

But in the vast majority of cases, it takes measurement capabilities (which most people don't have) and external DSP capabilities (such as a miniDSP) to obtain a good frequency response with strongly mismatched subs. Instead of benefiting each other by enhancing the frequency response, a pair of mismatched subs can actually work against each other, making the frequency response worse than it would be with a single sub of either kind. And you are going to want the output of two ported subs, anyway.

Your Yamaha won't help you at all with that. The EQ it does do only goes down to about 32Hz, and it can't really EQ the two subs separately at all. Part of the value of AVS is to help each other wade through the often confusing marketing rhetoric and ambiguous claims that sub, speaker, amplifier makers sometimes use. The engineering departments and the marketing departments have very different knowledge bases, and different interests, as well. And threads like this one can help to sort that out. I have benefited immeasurably from that help, and I like to pay it forward when I can.

I am not familiar with the Reimer McCullough speaker line, but looking them up, they look like fine speakers, and the hickory finish sounds nice. I am also very fond of some of my older speakers. Displays, amps, and subs have changed a lot in the last 10 years, or so. Speakers, not as much. Good speakers remain good speakers, in my opinion.

Let people know if you need any help dialing in your new subs, and jump on a pair of PB Ultras while you can.

Regards,
Mike
Hey Mike,

Well... waited on my sales guy to get outta' bed this morning and texted him, told him to change the order. Getting two PB's for not much more than what the SB's would run.

Actually, (from my understanding at least) the 'new' RX-A3060 will actually work down to 15.2Hz, *and* EQ both sub ports separately. Which is why I didn't go with the 5000 separate unit.

Also, having that extra octave is going to be GREAT when it comes to tuning ULF for sure. Especially as not everyone has both their subs on the same wall. (I've been known to setup a system with a 'booster' sub in the back running 180° out of phase, just to keep the waveform strong in the back of a long room.)

I still have my old pink noise generator, and 12 band EQ spectrum analyzer (although not in my system). Might have to break that puppy out just for snits-n-giggles. Probably better off these days to just watch a YouTube video with the same thing on it! LOL

FWIW.... the "PAV" in my User ID is for Premier Audio Video, a company I used to own (well still do, just retired since 03). Haven't kept up so much with the industry these last years other than drooling at, and waiting for 4K to become affordable. Is $9999 for the Samsung 9800 I just ordered actually AFFORDABLE?!?!?!!! LOL

Really glad to find the thread on HDMI cables here, like you said.... pay if forward.
HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color?

All my stuff is of course, "high speed", 1.4, 1.x etc. but it seems that HDMI.org really screwed the pooch on the standard FO SHOW!

Glad to see some REAL certifications coming out however, especially as I'm about to recable my entire system. The Samsung 4K Blu-Ray is coming with the system for free, and of course afterwards I'll take DirecTV up on that free 4K Genie upgrade. And if the new "HD GUI" on the Yamaha is like some.... it'll be at least 30Hz if not 60. (Although I highly doubt we'll see any real 4K@60/ 4:4:4 program sources till 4K Blu-Ray discs hit the floor.)

Yeah, most people haven't heard of the Reimers, but Rick is one heck of a good speaker designer, and an even nicer guy. One of the coolest things he did was to integrate the port into the faceplate of his speakers. Working with a solid ¾" face he'd route it, then mount his port(s) to the back, rather than just poke them through a hole where you'd see the black plastic. (Several reviews of his various stuff out there to be found.) I actually met him the first time when I was at T.H.E. Show (which piggybacks with CES every year) the first time in 99, repping for Tyler Acoustics (Ty sells on Audiogon to this day). Ty also makes some NICE speakers, and was able to keep his going when Rick just never really had the time (had another job, then a divorce took over) to grow the company. Albeit back then, Ricks products were much better sounding IMHO. I sold a LOT more of Ty's stuff though, and Ty however has really stepped it up in the last 5~6 years.

Wish I'd took Rick up on a set of his Tetons when I could, but as with everything else, family takes precedence.

Oh well.... off to the Spa store. Gotta' spend that Nationwide money! (They THINK that $7100 will replace a $12,000 spa....... ME THINKS NOT!) heheheheeeeee

Later dude, Tony *Formerly Premier Audio Video*
mthomas47 likes this.
post #459 of 484 Old 08-17-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey Mike,

Well... waited on my sales guy to get outta' bed this morning and texted him, told him to change the order. Getting two PB's for not much more than what the SB's would run.

Actually, (from my understanding at least) the 'new' RX-A3060 will actually work down to 15.2Hz, *and* EQ both sub ports separately. Which is why I didn't go with the 5000 separate unit.

Also, having that extra octave is going to be GREAT when it comes to tuning ULF for sure. Especially as not everyone has both their subs on the same wall. (I've been known to setup a system with a 'booster' sub in the back running 180° out of phase, just to keep the waveform strong in the back of a long room.)

I still have my old pink noise generator, and 12 band EQ spectrum analyzer (although not in my system). Might have to break that puppy out just for snits-n-giggles. Probably better off these days to just watch a YouTube video with the same thing on it! LOL

FWIW.... the "PAV" in my User ID is for Premier Audio Video, a company I used to own (well still do, just retired since 03). Haven't kept up so much with the industry these last years other than drooling at, and waiting for 4K to become affordable. Is $9999 for the Samsung 9800 I just ordered actually AFFORDABLE?!?!?!!! LOL

Really glad to find the thread on HDMI cables here, like you said.... pay if forward.
HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color?

All my stuff is of course, "high speed", 1.4, 1.x etc. but it seems that HDMI.org really screwed the pooch on the standard FO SHOW!

Glad to see some REAL certifications coming out however, especially as I'm about to recable my entire system. The Samsung 4K Blu-Ray is coming with the system for free, and of course afterwards I'll take DirecTV up on that free 4K Genie upgrade. And if the new "HD GUI" on the Yamaha is like some.... it'll be at least 30Hz if not 60. (Although I highly doubt we'll see any real 4K@60/ 4:4:4 program sources till 4K Blu-Ray discs hit the floor.)

Yeah, most people haven't heard of the Reimers, but Rick is one heck of a good speaker designer, and an even nicer guy. One of the coolest things he did was to integrate the port into the faceplate of his speakers. Working with a solid ¾" face he'd route it, then mount his port(s) to the back, rather than just poke them through a hole where you'd see the black plastic. (Several reviews of his various stuff out there to be found.) I actually met him the first time when I was at T.H.E. Show (which piggybacks with CES every year) the first time in 99, repping for Tyler Acoustics (Ty sells on Audiogon to this day). Ty also makes some NICE speakers, and was able to keep his going when Rick just never really had the time (had another job, then a divorce took over) to grow the company. Albeit back then, Ricks products were much better sounding IMHO. I sold a LOT more of Ty's stuff though, and Ty however has really stepped it up in the last 5~6 years.

Wish I'd took Rick up on a set of his Tetons when I could, but as with everything else, family takes precedence.

Oh well.... off to the Spa store. Gotta' spend that Nationwide money! (They THINK that $7100 will replace a $12,000 spa....... ME THINKS NOT!) heheheheeeeee

Later dude, Tony *Formerly Premier Audio Video*
Hi Tony,

I won't try to respond to everything, particularly the question about "affordable", as if anybody in this hobby had enough sense to worry about that. But I did want to congratulate you on getting all your new gear! It all sounds exciting, and I think you will really like the PB's.

You never know who you will run into on these threads, but I might have guessed that you had a deep background in AV. Let me know how things sound once you have your system set-up.

Regards,
Mike
post #460 of 484 Old 08-17-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Hi Tony,

I won't try to respond to everything, particularly the question about "affordable", as if anybody in this hobby had enough sense to worry about that. But I did want to congratulate you on getting all your new gear! It all sounds exciting, and I think you will really like the PB's.

You never know who you will run into on these threads, but I might have guessed that you had a deep background in AV. Let me know how things sound once you have your system set-up.

Regards,
Mike
Hey, don't blame ya' for letting the majority of my ramblings go without response.... I tend to take the long way round from time to time.

I'm with you on 'affordable'.
What I used to tell clients was that NOTHING is expensive, as it all depends on your perspective. With your new Home Theater, rather than think it's 'expensive', you just need to "quantify your level of want", (and after that, the final figure is only based on the level of want, rather than the balance in your bank account). And of course it doesn't hurt to buy the wife a new diamond ring from time to time.

Thanks on the congrats my friend, it's HERE (AVSforum) where people actually UNDERSTAND this disease, er... hobby. LOL

I used to be active here, back from 99~03 or so. In fact, a number of clients came from here truth be told. Seems however the post count changed/reset with the software change. (Well that and my disappearance for a good 10+ years.)
post #461 of 484 Old 08-20-2016, 05:57 AM

PB's, 3060 and MX-A5000 paid for and on the way ....

Just wanted to throw this out there.

Dropped by BB/Magnolia last night to pick up my 9800, (free SUHD Blu-ray) and Furman, and pay for the rest of the 'custom' order, the PB13's, 3060 and Yammy 5000. To my surprise, the Yamaha MX-A5000 has been discontinued, and they are selling them out (yesterday and) TODAY ONLY for only $1599! That is LESS than their cost! (Almost ordered another one!)

It's not an advertised sale, and had I not had one in the system on order they'd never known. Can't beat that pricing! Oh... fwiw, the CX-5000 is also discontinued. Didn't check the pricing on that one, but you can bet it's cheap.

Thread drift off now.
post #462 of 484 Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Proud new owner of a SB13-Ultra.

This replaces my XTZ 1x12.

Only unboxed it last night so only have an hour on it so far: looking forward to getting 50 hours on it so I can calibrate and take some REW readings.

First impressions are good! Built quality and aesthetics are amazingly good. Looks so much neater than my old XTZ 1x12. The grill is somewhat Marmite - I am planning on covering this with acoustic cloth at some point.

My room has underlay/carpet covered concrete floor so doubt the upgraded SVS floor mounts will improve anything - unless someone knows otherwise.

The SB13-Ultra was instantly louder than my XTZ (Eq turned off until I can calibrate) - much louder lower tones is the obvious difference.

Is the Merlin XO calculator accurate? I have the XTZ M6 Cinema LCR and the Merlin calculator is saying to run my AVR (Anthem MRX310) at 100Hz.

I take it that means run the fronts and centre at 100Hz? What XO do I chose on my Anthem for the subwoofer?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #463 of 484 Old 08-23-2016, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris:

Forget the Merline tool since you have a superior tool called ARC. It will take care of these XO issues for you within minutes of calibration. No need to concern yourself with anything else.

The merlin tool is a general guide tool based off the lowest -3dB of the main speakers(L/R, not center) and then seems to recommend a XO value an octave higher. In my case, I have that point at 29Hz and it recommended a 40Hz XO point. ARC on my AnthemD2v was more sophisticated and recommended a 60Hz cross from the mains to my dual SB13 Ultras. ARC is better than Merlin...use ARC and forget everything else!
ChrisGTL likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #464 of 484 Old 08-23-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGTL View Post
The grill is somewhat Marmite - I am planning on covering this with acoustic cloth at some point.
The grill is really the one thing I don't care for on this sub, I'm leaving mine off. Would not mind seeing SVS design a magnetic grill for the thing. I'm unfortunately space challenged and even the arc of the grill kinda inserts itself undesirably into my space, though it's mostly a visual thing.
ChrisGTL likes this.
post #465 of 484 Old 08-23-2016, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGTL View Post
Proud new owner of a SB13-Ultra.
My room has underlay/carpet covered concrete floor so doubt the upgraded SVS floor mounts will improve anything - unless someone knows otherwise.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Personally I like the grill, but I can understand why others don't.

Mine also sits on carpet (with pad) on a concrete slab. With the standard SB13 feet, the sub would sink into the carpet and push the bottom of the grill into the carpet. So I purchased the SoundPath Isolation feet from SVS to raise the sub and get the grill out of the carpet. I thought it also improved the sub's tone, but that may have just been a placebo effect.

Jack
post #466 of 484 Old 08-23-2016, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1949 View Post
Personally I like the grill, but I can understand why others don't.

Mine also sits on carpet (with pad) on a concrete slab. With the standard SB13 feet, the sub would sink into the carpet and push the bottom of the grill into the carpet. So I purchased the SoundPath Isolation feet from SVS to raise the sub and get the grill out of the carpet. I thought it also improved the sub's tone, but that may have just been a placebo effect.

Jack
Me too, dual SB13U's on wooden floor with standard SB13 feet. Placebo effect on tone improvement is very real also in my case.

post #467 of 484 Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 PM

Ahhhhhh, and everyone needs $995 power cable, elevated from the floor on miniature hardwood 'trestles', with all cables always crossing each other at 90° angles.

That'll make EVERYTHING sound better. ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #468 of 484 Old 08-23-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

In my case, the neighbors below must have appreciated the reduction in bass thumpings from my duals.

post #469 of 484 Old 08-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ahhhhhh, and everyone needs $995 power cable, elevated from the floor on miniature hardwood 'trestles', with all cables always crossing each other at 90° angles.

That'll make EVERYTHING sound better. ;-)

ONLY $995.00?? Ah, you're one of those bargain basement guys. I prefer the $14,000 power cables myself.....
post #470 of 484 Old 08-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Dust Cover

I'd much rather show off my gear, but between a fairly dusty house, 2 cats that are on everything, and the piano black finish, I wanted a nice dust cover to protect my sub. Not sure if there are any commercial pre-made, didn't see anything on SVS site, so had one made. Really pleased with the quality and how fast I got it! I was pretty liberal with the measurements, so it's not a tight fit, drops right on with a little slop built into each dimension. I don't use the SVS grill, not a fan, so this doesn't factor in the grill dimension, but I did over measure a bit for the woofer sticking past the front baffle.

Thinking about a second SB13U, might tighten up the measurements a bit on the next one, but this works for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1628601   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1628609  
dmusoke, cchunter and TomC1315 like this.
post #471 of 484 Old 08-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I'd much rather show off my gear, but between a fairly dusty house, 2 cats that are on everything, and the piano black finish, I wanted a nice dust cover to protect my sub. Not sure if there are any commercial pre-made, didn't see anything on SVS site, so had one made. Really pleased with the quality and how fast I got it! I was pretty liberal with the measurements, so it's not a tight fit, drops right on with a little slop built into each dimension. I don't use the SVS grill, not a fan, so this doesn't factor in the grill dimension, but I did over measure a bit for the woofer sticking past the front baffle.

Thinking about a second SB13U, might tighten up the measurements a bit on the next one, but this works for me!
Looks nice Jonas.

But are you SURE that material is "acoustically transparent"? : dunno:

Might could have a lightweight frame made and wrap it with grill cloth. (Like DefTech stuff.) Should be able to do the frame with 3/4" oak strips, even pine or maple for that matter. Then maybe put a solid tip on it, and wrap the sides perhaps?

Now if I COULD ONLY GET a ship date on the special order pair of PB13 U's, in Black Oak I ordered almost 2 weeks ago I'd be a happy camper.

Last edited by TonyPAV; 08-30-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Edit
post #472 of 484 Old 08-30-2016, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Looks nice Jonas.

But are you SURE that material is "acoustically transparent"? : dunno:

Might could have a lightweight frame made and wrap it with grill cloth. (Like DefTech stuff.) Should be able to do the frame with 3/4" oak strips, even pine or maple for that matter. Then maybe put a solid tip on it, and wrap the sides perhaps?

Now if I COULD ONLY GET a ship date on the special order pair of PB13 U's, in Black Oak I ordered almost 2 weeks ago I'd be a happy camper.

Ah, I should have been more clear! No, I don't keep the cover on when in use - but when in use, I'm there to guard against cat damage. It's for protection for when I'm away (we find evidence of kitties being on things when we're not around....). It probably is not acoustically transparent - ballistic nylon on the outside, nice felt on the inside. Looks a heck of a lot better than the white "thingie" that it shipped with that I was using up to this point. (that actually didn't do a bad job of protecting.)
post #473 of 484 Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Ah, I should have been more clear! No, I don't keep the cover on when in use - but when in use, I'm there to guard against cat damage. It's for protection for when I'm away (we find evidence of kitties being on things when we're not around....). It probably is not acoustically transparent - ballistic nylon on the outside, nice felt on the inside. Looks a heck of a lot better than the white "thingie" that it shipped with that I was using up to this point. (that actually didn't do a bad job of protecting.)

I actually wondered if you kept it on during listening sessions, too. If so, it would have reminded me of long ago, visiting peoples houses where plastic slipcovers covered the sofas and chairs in the living room.

FWIW, I don't think that acoustical transparency could possibly be an issue at subwoofer frequencies. Even with a very high crossover, the long waves would go through that cloth as if it weren't even there.
post #474 of 484 Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I actually wondered if you kept it on during listening sessions, too. If so, it would have reminded me of long ago, visiting peoples houses where plastic slipcovers covered the sofas and chairs in the living room.

FWIW, I don't think that acoustical transparency could possibly be an issue at subwoofer frequencies. Even with a very high crossover, the long waves would go through that cloth as if it weren't even there.
HA!! My grandmother's house! And plastic runways covering the carpets too.

As nice as the cover looks (at least I think it looks nice!), it definitely is not as nice looking as the exposed sub!
mthomas47 likes this.
post #475 of 484 Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 PM

And plastic diamonds all over the plastic covering the CAR interior! Can't remember how many of those I've been in back when I was young. When it was warm (and most of all those cars didn't have AC), you'd stick to the seats and get out with imprints all over your legs, arms and back! LOL

My fondest memories though would be riding in the back of my PawPaw's 61 Chevy step side, tailgate down, feet dangling over the edge, hauling all us to the little town where he lived to get blocks of ice. We'd get that ice back to his house, chop it up, then hand crank two different ice cream makers, newspapers on the top of the ice, that'd been sprinkled with rock salt, with grandkids taking turns sitting on top of the (wet) newspapers. After half an hour of cranking it was happy time.

And the ice cream was AWESOME!
post #476 of 484 Old 09-07-2016, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Has anyone gone from a larger vented sub, 18" down to a single SB-13? What about a pair of them?

I've gone through multiple different setups and just not overly happy with my current subwoofer. Always have had my eye on these subs but never quite have had enough motivation to make the purchase. My room is fairly large about 20x18 with a sloped ceiling, from 8-10'. To be totally honest the current sub made me wait for so long to receive it that I lost interest in Home Theater for awhile.

Any input would be appreciated.
post #477 of 484 Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
Has anyone gone from a larger vented sub, 18" down to a single SB-13? What about a pair of them?

I've gone through multiple different setups and just not overly happy with my current subwoofer. Always have had my eye on these subs but never quite have had enough motivation to make the purchase. My room is fairly large about 20x18 with a sloped ceiling, from 8-10'. To be totally honest the current sub made me wait for so long to receive it that I lost interest in Home Theater for awhile.

Any input would be appreciated.
What sub do you have now and why the urge to downgrade to small sealed?

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #478 of 484 Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
What sub do you have now and why the urge to downgrade to small sealed?

Reaction Audio Echo 18

I'm not sure what it is exactly. I've placed the sub in multiple locations but it doesn't seem to "wow me".... It's hard to explain. My (2) Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX subs seemed to fill the room with more bass. It could be that running two of them created a smoother response, but I thought the size/power of the sub would make up for it.
post #479 of 484 Old 09-08-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 4387
Quote:
Reaction Audio Echo 18

I'm not sure what it is exactly. I've placed the sub in multiple locations but it doesn't seem to "wow me".... It's hard to explain. My (2) Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX subs seemed to fill the room with more bass. It could be that running two of them created a smoother response, but I thought the size/power of the sub would make up for it.

1) Part of the problem is that was a poorly designed sub with top shelf parts. It had the cool factor but no real dsp tuning to optimize the system like you would get from a reputable ID company.

2) 1 sub can not smooth any room modes...so I can see why you liked dual EX's better. I would look at that last PC13 Ultra in the outlet for 1199 or chat with Tom over at PSA and grab a V1800. I think the SB13 is a step backwards for what you are looking for. Fantastic sub do not get me wrong, but its not going to produce reference level bass down into the teens. You would need 3-4 of them for that.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #480 of 484 Old 09-08-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Reaction Audio Echo 18

Hi,

Without knowing more about your listening levels, and how much bass you like, it's hard to be sure, but I'm not sure that a single sub (other than a JTR 4000 ULF ) is likely to "wow" you in a ~3200^3 space. Maybe if the single sub were nearfield. I agree with Basshead's advice to stay with a good ported sub, but I wouldn't be shocked if it still takes a couple of well-placed ported subs to get you the wow factor that you are looking for.

Regards,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer