Official SVS SB-13 Ultra Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 80Likes
post #481 of 484 Unread 09-08-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
1) Part of the problem is that was a poorly designed sub with top shelf parts. It had the cool factor but no real dsp tuning to optimize the system like you would get from a reputable ID company.

2) 1 sub can not smooth any room modes...so I can see why you liked dual EX's better. I would look at that last PC13 Ultra in the outlet for 1199 or chat with Tom over at PSA and grab a V1800. I think the SB13 is a step backwards for what you are looking for. Fantastic sub do not get me wrong, but its not going to produce reference level bass down into the teens. You would need 3-4 of them for that.

I was actually going to go with a PSA sub but ended up going with RA in the end.... Now I wish I would of went with Tom from the beginning. It all started when I had to wait about 6 months for my sub to arrive. Then once it got here I was underwhelmed by it.

Actually was looking at his V3600 recently. I don't watch movies near reference level or all that loud to most people. Typically watch a movie around -20 to -25, sometimes I'll go into the teens but never 0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 484 Unread 09-08-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

Without knowing more about your listening levels, and how much bass you like, it's hard to be sure, but I'm not sure that a single sub (other than a JTR 4000 ULF ) is likely to "wow" you in a ~3200^3 space. Maybe if the single sub were nearfield. I agree with Basshead's advice to stay with a good ported sub, but I wouldn't be shocked if it still takes a couple of well-placed ported subs to get you the wow factor that you are looking for.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the reply, from my post above I mentioned a little bit about my listening levels. I never listen near reference. I wouldn't mind buying another RA sub but... Waiting so long for the first one and not being totally pleased with this one. Is making me look elsewhere. The V3600 has caught my eye for awhile. Possibly a pair of them? Will do the trick
post #483 of 484 Unread 09-08-2016, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
Thanks for the reply, from my post above I mentioned a little bit about my listening levels. I never listen near reference. I wouldn't mind buying another RA sub but... Waiting so long for the first one and not being totally pleased with this one. Is making me look elsewhere. The V3600 has caught my eye for awhile. Possibly a pair of them? Will do the trick

You are very welcome! Listening levels can be a little deceiving, particularly depending on how much we like bass in action movies. For instance, I don't ever listen above about -12 or -10 MV, but I do like to run my subs very hot. So, my subs still need to be able to play at Reference volumes, even though my master volume (and total SPL) are never that high.

It sounds as if you had a pretty frustrating experience with your RA sub, so even if you could find another one at a good price, that might not be your best option. I don't think you would be disappointed at all in PSA, either from a performance, or a customer service standpoint. I think that two V3600's would give you all the wow factor you could want.
post #484 of 484 Unread 09-08-2016, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 4387
Well RA is out of business so that is not even a option any longer. If all you listen is --25 then V1800 would easily get the job done.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer