AVS Forum banner
81K views 543 replies 139 participants last post by  pbc 
#1 ·
I noticed that no one has started a dedicated thread for this amazing subwoofer. I am the proud owner of dual sb-13 ultras:D. This thread is for discussion on placement, set-up, configuration and general discussion. I understand that the sb 13 u is a new breed of seal subs and honestly I am very pleased.

I’m currently using my dual sb 13 u's with polk rti a9's, polk csi a6, and polk rc 85i in-walls in a 5.2 configuration. I am using a denon 4308ci as my pre-pro with emotiva xpa 2, xpa 5 power amps. Coming from a velodyne ct-120, the svs sb13 ultra is a totally different animal. I couldn’t believe how much more dynamic my system sounded. Don't get my wrong, my system sounded quite good before, but now it is on a whole new level.

I have my gain on the subs amp's at -7 for both and on the 4308 flat; but I find myself always tweaking for music and movies depending on the source. All other settings are disabled except the left sub phase is 15 degrees. I found that this setting gave me the most overall satisfying bass response. The sb13 u's are tight, powerful, and have pleasing full bodied bass. I have had them for about a month and a half and the tweaking process has taken time. Movies sound fantastic; but music is unbelievable. I still haven’t pushed them to their limits; I have had them pretty loud main volume around -14 to -10 and they never seem to fatigue. I imagine the more the woofers break-in, the sound will get even better....

More to continue.....

See less See more
#3 ·
I have dual SB13's as well... I'm quite pleased with the setup. They are scary loud if you push them and have yet to feel them straining on anything. I have mine co-located in each corner of my living room, about 13' apart and sit about 10' near field. They will "move your guts" and give you a facial at the same time.

#5 ·
I've only had mine since 2/7, but so far I'm impressed both with its build quality/finish and performance. I'm still in the process of taking measurements and getting it dialed in with REW. I did some initial testing but then took a break to actually have some fun.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1  /t/1457355/official-svs-sb-13-ultra-thread/0_60#post_22946654

I have dual SB13's as well... I'm quite pleased with the setup. They are scary loud if you push them and have yet to feel them straining on anything. I have mine co-located in each corner of my living room, about 13' apart and sit about 10' near field. They will "move your guts" and give you a facial at the same time.

I have nothing to offer, sorry, but I have a question. You said you have 2 SB13-Ultra's, and that they are colocated in different corners. My understanding of the term "colocated" is two items sharing the same location (ie: stacked subs), not sharing the same relative position in a room (ie: symmetrical placement with one sub in the front/left and another sub in the front/right). Are you using the SB13U's with other subs and running a pair of subs in each corner (fist definition of colocation), or are you using just the pair of SB13U, one in each corner, a la the second definition?

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, I'm just trying to conceptualize your set up.

These are interesting subs, I'm actually debating "Downsizing" from my ported Ultra's to these. They offer more flexibility in placement and seem to be getting really strong reviews. Thanks to the OP for starting the thread and to the owners for sharing your experiences.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick  /t/1457355/official-svs-sb-13-ultra-thread#post_22947314

I have nothing to offer, sorry, but I have a question. You said you have 2 SB13-Ultra's, and that they are colocated in different corners. My understanding of the term "colocated" is two items sharing the same location (ie: stacked subs), not sharing the same relative position in a room (ie: symmetrical placement with one sub in the front/left and another sub in the front/right). Are you using the SB13U's with other subs and running a pair of subs in each corner (fist definition of colocation), or are you using just the pair of SB13U, one in each corner, a la the second definition?

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, I'm just trying to conceptualize your set up.
These are interesting subs, I'm actually debating "Downsizing" from my ported Ultra's to these. They offer more flexibility in placement and seem to be getting really strong reviews. Thanks to the OP for starting the thread and to the owners for sharing your experiences.
[/quote]

I agree they are interesting and a great performer, but I dont think they would be as loud as a ported ultra because they are sealed, thats just my opinion . I have never heard the pb-13 ultra's though so IDK..

#14 ·
Well after three days and a lot of measurements and tweaking, mostly just to see what I could accomplish, I believe I have have made a wise choice. I was down to the Paradigm Sub 12 and the SB13 Ultra and obviously went with the latter. I would say I'm a 70/30 (music/movies) and have been most impressed so far with both the DSOTM and WYWH SACDs and scenes from Master and Commander (The Attack) and Jurassic Park III (Spinosaurus). Although WOTW was pretty good too. Initially, I was skeptical as the SB13 Ultra didn't measure all that differently than my CSS Trio DIY sub, but then in use, especially movies, the Ultra blew my old sub away. Anyone interested in an unusual sound track and special effects I recommend the movie Dredd (be forewarned that it will not win any awards though). I also watch Looper, which was very good all the way around.

Yamaha RX-A1000

Anthem MCA-20 (front 100's)

Paradigm Studio 100 v.5

Paradigm CC590 v.5

Paradigm Monitor 9 v.2 (rear)

SVS SB13 Ultra

Room Dimensions: 12x21x8

#15 ·
I currently have an SVS PC12-NSD and I am attempting to sell it to make room for the SB13-Ultra (trying Craigslist first). I was told it would be a nice upgrade from my current subwoofer. I'm excited to read that people are pleased with it. My fiancé doesn't like the look of the PC12-NSD in our living room so I've convinced her that if I can sell the PC12-NSD, I can get the SB13-Ultra to replace it. She likes the SB13-Ultra for its smaller size and I'm excited by the fact that I can get something smaller and less noticeable but also something that out preforms my PC12-NSD which I have been quite happy with for the last 2 years. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can get a SB13-Ultra sooner rather than later.

With that said, does anyone have any other suggestions on where I could attempt to sell my PC12-NSD? I had no idea what it would cost to ship it so that's why I thought I'd try Craigslist first. I figured eBay might be another place to try. Any input is welcome. Thanks!

#20 ·
Reactions: jbdan
#21 ·
I'm in Oklahoma City, OK. I guess I can put local pick up preferred but leave the option for shipping the subwoofer up to the buyer as long as they are willing to pay the shipping charges. The box is quite large at 40"Hx20"Wx20"L and 60 lbs. Local pick up would just be much easier although I'd be limiting the amount of interest. Once I sell the PC12-NSD, I can turn my attention to purchasing a SB13-Ultra.

#24 ·
These were actually an interest of mine. I just returned my pb13 yesterday. I am thinking submersive f2. A pair of Sb's may be awesome I don't know. But for the money I am thinking submersive is my ticket. Will keep an eye on this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.