Polk PSW10 Omnimic Frequency Response Graphs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 872
This thread is the next addition in my frequency response graph reviews series. Today, up for review is the Polk PSW10 subwoofer. I'm borrowing this subwoofer from a friend, who I've given more than a little grief to in his subwoofer search and consummate ill-advised Polk Audio subwoofer purchase. My friend paid $80 on sale, and my own recent experience with $80 subwoofers was an utter disappointment. So, truly I wasn't expecting much from this subwoofer. I've come to affectionately call his sub a subparwoofer, before even hearing it. Judgmental? yes -- sorry - I suppose I've become a bit of a subwoofer snob after hearing so many different pieces of high quality equipment in the last couple years. Here is my current rap sheet. Yet you know what? I found my friends assertion generally correct when he says this sub is good enough for someone who doesn't otherwise know what they are missing.

Previously in this review series, I've measured the Klipsch RW-12D, the BIC F12 and BIC V1220, the Pioneer SW-8, and the Crystal Acoustics TX-12SUB.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1390563
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1391243
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1401651
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1408856

Of course I've measured a LOT more than just these prior listed subs in the multiple audio meets I've attended and hosted, but many of the other measurements, even those taken in my own room for the 2011, and 2012 subwoofer meets, weren't taken under the same conditions (not measured with the same placement, crossover, levels etc) and thus weren't apples to apples comparisons as these sub measurements are.

I measured this Polk PSW10 in the same way I measured the aforementioned Pioneer SW-8, the BIC F12, BIC V1220, the Klipsch RW-12D, and the Crystal Acoustics TX-12SUB. I turned off all external EQ in my Onkyo TX-NR 1007 receiver (no Audyssey, no Dynamic EQ, mains crossover set to 100hz, sub LFE set to 120hz) and then proceeded to measure the sub in my 3500 cubic foot room using Omnimic. Distance calibrations for the sub in the Onkyo receiver were accurately set. The frequency response graphs were all taken with no smoothing but averaged over 10 captures each from my main listening position. I unhook the mains and attempt to get the spl levels of the sub into at least the mid 90's and then capture a frequency response from a like microphone and subwoofer placement in the room. The Omnimic is located in my main listening position, and the sub is placed in the traditionally optimal spot in my room to display a flat frequency response (front left wall - 1/3 of the way in - driver facing front left corner). Each driver's associated frequency response may be able to be optimized a bit from this standardized location, but for the purposes of like testing I've tried to keep the placement and facing as identical as possible. In most cases the frequency response capture does not exhibit max clean volume - in this particular case the frequency response captured in the graph was beyond max clean volume, but not to max overall volume. I was definitively hearing port noise while taking the frequency response using the omnimic track 2, but the sub had exhibited no compression in frequency response. The entire bandwidth of frequency response was rising in parallel to the arbitrary stopping point in the mid 90 dB range where I aimed to try to mesh with the other reviews so far. (sans the pathetic Pioneer SW-8 review unit)

I initially played with some test tones and found that I could not hear a 20hz test tone at all from this unit. (I definitely can hear this test tone with a capable sub - IE the JTR Captivators play a 20hz test tone with visceral brutality - they can very nearly control your breathing) I could only faintly hear a 25hz tone and as I increased the test tones up in 5hz increments to try to find the port tune. I realized during this process that this subwoofer is pretty severely under ported - typical of most budget subs. I could hear port noise clearly up to about 50hz. 50hz test tone had no port noise, 45hz test tone had port noise. So take from that what you will. The volumes for this test were 80-90dB range. You could still hear the tones lower than 50hz - the purity of the tone was just lost somewhat due to port noise. The average consumer for this product is not listening to sine wave test tones - and in real world use the port noise is far less obvious. In fact, in real world use the bass, while not especially clean, is surprisingly plentiful. The sub driver really gets moving, and when the mains are engaged you can enjoy spirited subwoofer listening to about the 90 or 95dB level c weighted in room as you edge towards to top end of the sub's clean playback spl levels. You can go louder - but the sub starts huffing, and the sound becomes increasingly unpleasant. It is more than I would have expected from the little 50 watt powerplant. (100watt peak) I will say this sub is significantly superior to the Pioneer SW-8 I own and have reviewed (also rated at 50watt). The Pioneer couldn't do half of what this sub was doing in my theater room. I'm starting to agree with my friend. This sub would suit the average Joe non audio enthusiast just fine. It's something my uncle or cousin who just wants something to fill in the bottom end would likely be most pleased with. Listening to dubstep most of the music is okay at the 90dB level. Listening to top 40 type music you can approach the 95dB level. Especially bass heavy music will need be backed off a bit. The sub is most comfortable in the <90dB range for bass heavy music.

When you try to turn this sub up above 95dB or thereabouts you can quickly begin to see why ported subs have a bad reputation to the general public. All the flaws rear their ugly head, port noise, boomy sloppy sound. These are design tradeoffs. What you get with a ported sub alignment is more output to port tune, which allows the vendor to effectively double the 'deeper' output on the cheapest of driver and amp components, and then below port tune - well you get sloppy mess. This is a budget sub. Don't take it that loud. Just back off the volume and begin to enjoy it again. If you buy this sub and it sounds sloppy, then YOU didn't buy enough sub. There is nothing wrong with 'ported' sub design - especially among the higher priced, more capable ported subs. Don't go spreading that nonsense.

This subwoofer has a decent limiter mechanism, as I never bottomed out the driver in normal listening, not even when playing Bass I Love You with it's 15 and 7hz notes. The driver excursion went wild (to no real audible effect or tactile feel) but on the bright side I didn't hear a clank or other bad noise when playing back at ~ 85dB levels. What are you missing with this sub? Well - volume, pant leg flapping capability, depth of note. Listening to Dallas Wind Symphony - The Vikings, the pipe organ low notes do jack crap. Contrast that with my Captivators which shake the foundation of my home, and the gelatinous liquid in the back of my eye sockets at the same volumes in their depth of note. But then the Captivators cost $3K for a pair of passive + a 5000 watt amp cost, and this sub cost $80 on sale.

Value?

Yeah this sub is easily worth $80 for a casual audio setup. I've definitely heard much worse - I OWN much worse. Hey Mike, you want to try that little runt of a Pioneer SW-8? tongue.gif Then maybe you'll forgive me for giving you such a hard time about buying this unit. Sad thing is - The Pioneer SW-8 and this unit both have 4.5 and 5 star ratings most anywhere you look. Dozens of reviewers can't be wrong right? Well -- they aren't necessarily wrong --- they just don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes. biggrin.gifcool.gif

How about relative to other budget subs??? The BIC F12 is superior in sound quality, volume capability, frequency response, and exhibits less port noise -- but it costs twice as much. The Klipsch RW-12D is a significant step above the BIC F12, but it is 3x's the cost at the current Newegg closeout. For $80 - $100 this sub just became my recommended bare budget recommendation. I've updated my list. It won't do everything right - but it does enough right to be enjoyable in a small to medium sized room. I'd expect it'll best most medium tier "home theater in box" subs. Keep your expectations for reasonable playback levels in check and figure the price in with your rating and this truly is a "good" subwoofer... ... ... for those that haven't heard better.

Honestly --- It has my recommendation for the hardcore budget buyer.

Omnimic Frequency Response Graphs - 2dB spacing on Y axis. (Note for the FR capture with port noise, I was just attempting to capture a FR response to align with the BIC F12 and Klipsch RW-12D subs in the mid 90dB range. The $200 BIC and $300 Klipsch do not exhibit port noise at these volume playback levels --- though the $750 Crystal Acoustics sub DID exhibit port noise at these volumes) The second FR graph at a lower level is about the PSW10 sub's max capability without exhibiting noticeable port noise from my main listening position about 10 feet away from the sub.

These are the same Omnimic Frequency Reponse Graphs with more typical 5dB spacing on Y axis.

Here is the Polk PSW10 compared to the superior BIC F12 with both subs playing at comfortable volumes with no port noise.

Here is the Polk PSW10 compared to the inferior Pioneer SW-8 with both subs playing into port noise and distress
its phillip likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
thanks for taking the time to do this. i'll still advise people to save their money when asking about this sub, and i'll use this post for reference biggrin.gif

post #3 of 32 Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
so in other words, the psw10is the "best" bad sub you can buy! tongue.gif

any chance of getting your hands on a psw505? I'm curious how it would fair compared to the other budget subs you have done thus far.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #4 of 32 Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gorilla83 owned both psw505 and rw12d. He believed the rw12d was the superior sub for the same money.

I have heard the psw505 at Gorilla83's place, it was ok. I'm sure, based on Polk's product line and numbering scheme it was better than this psw10, but I do recall his definitive tech speakers sounded better with the psw505 off than they did with it on. That's never a good starting point. I didn't see the avr settings but Gorilla83 is an experienced guy here and I doubt improper settings were at fault. I remember the bass being kind of loose on the psw 505 - yet at $200-$300 it isn't a terrible offering either.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #5 of 32 Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Gorilla83 owned both psw505 and rw12d. He believed the rw12d was the superior sub for the same money.

I have heard the psw505 at Gorilla83's place, it was ok. I'm sure, databases on Polk's product line and numbering scheme it was better than this psw10, but I do recall his definitive tech speakers sounded better with the psw505 off than they did with it on. That's never a good starting point. I didn't see the avr settings but Gorilla83 is an experienced guy here and I doubt improper settings were at fault. I remember the bass being kind of loose on the psw 505.
First, Thank you for you work here, and I am quite surprised by the results.

Second I too would be interested in see the results of the PSW505 if possible simply because the current price places it neck and neck with the Bic F12.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/polk-psw-505-subwoofer-4-2005.html - Ed Mullen review of 505, little output below 30-35 Hz but still may be reasonable for music and some HT situations. “As expected, room gain helped considerably to improve deep extension, with the Polk holding flat to about 25 Hz, and then dropping to –10 dB at 20 Hz.” Polk sub amps have generally been quite reliable.

Compare to Archaea's review of the F12.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/polk-psw-505-subwoofer-4-2005.html - Ed Mullen review of 505, little output below 30-35 Hz but still may be reasonable for music and some HT situations. “As expected, room gain helped considerably to improve deep extension, with the Polk holding flat to about 25 Hz, and then dropping to –10 dB at 20 Hz.” Polk sub amps have generally been quite reliable.

Compare to Archaea's review of the F12.
Doesn't compare as directly as a side by side test done in the same room in the same testing conditions I am well familiar with that test though
post #8 of 32 Old 05-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'd just like to add my opinion of this sub.

I recently got this sub to play with to see how a $100 sub sounds like. Unfortunately, it's not good, at all. This sub cannot even be compared to HT subs, so I'm gonna compare it to computer speakers.

The sub sounds quite good (for an entry level sub), but the problem is the severely limited output. I calibrated the sub with Audyssey on my receiver. On some bass heavy songs, I can hear port noise at -35dB on the receiver!! On most hip-hop/rap songs the sub audibly distorts at -25 on the receiver. In contrast, in the same conditions, calibrated by Audyssey, my Logitech Z-5500 is just starting to compress at -8 and it still wasn't audibly distorting (I stopped at -8 because my ears are giving out). The Polk doesn't even come close to the volume capabilities to a good computer speaker's sub (however it does sound better when it is not distorting/port noising)

On a more interesting note, this Polk taught me what port noise sounds like. All the subs I've had/listened to were either capable SPL speakers (need serious volume before hearing faint port noise), or crappy subs (mostly computer subs) where the driver started distorting long before port noise kicked in. At first I thought the driver was distorting, but then I realized it was actually the port after I stuffed the port with socks and the sub was playing cleanly. For anyone who wants to know what port noise sounds like without killing your hearing, this is the sub. It produces clean, reasonably distortion free (yes, I know) port noises at just above average listening volumes with bass heavy songs.
post #9 of 32 Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Any idea how this sub compares to the Dayton 8 and 10 inch models? Thinking about purchasing a small sub for a family member with a Vizio sound bar setup. Funny thing is she just realized how much better it sounds compared to her Bose wave radio. smile.gif

Adding a sub to it is sure to blow her mind!
post #10 of 32 Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This sub is only $70 at newegg right now.

At that price - for the hardcore budget buyer - this is about as good as your going to get.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499414/polk-psw10-69-99-at-newegg

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #11 of 32 Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How many of these would you buy before you thought money was best spent on a better sub?

2? 4? 10?

SXRDork: SXRD is a technology. My name is Vann. Usernames are for life...
post #12 of 32 Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

max 2.

At any more than 2 you should probably start looking at the BIC F12, which will play quite a bit louder - but not really any deeper relative to capability. These are good for less than $100. BIC F12s can sometimes be had for $180 and likewise they are solid subs at that pricepoint.

If you buy these skip the Bics as the next upgrade stop. The BIC F12 has a very similar frequency response but can just play louder. Your next stop after these or the BICs should be something along the lines of $700 HSU VTF3-MK4, PSA XV15, or equivalent -- something that allows solid playback down to the 20hz range. --- but that isn't even on the radar at the 100$ pricepoint, and I don't know that you can do much better in the budget sector than this little guy. The polk sure shames my Pioneer SW-8 I have on a secondary TV in my home.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #13 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I have the Polk PSW10. I bought it for 90 bucks a few years back. I'm using mostly in a home theater situation, music not as important to me for it. In my house I have a 7.1 and this PSW10 was a huge upgrade over the stock Onkyo sub that came with the system. It played well in my small living room (12X14). Gave me a decent "feel" for bass.
Then we moved............
I now have an open concept basement that had a home theater location build in with shelf area for TV, receivers and speakers.
Hooked up everything just like my old house. No bass. I thought maybe the sub wasn't plugged in, it was, I could feel it. This giant room in the basement on the concrete floor just KILLED this PSW10. It could not keep up with the room at all. I brought back in my old Onkyo sub for a two sub setup, nothing. I turned up the PSW10...... port shuffle, big time. That is all I can hear over the sub if the bass goes low. All because of the room size. PSW10 great in my small room, literally doing nothing in my large room.
So I stuffed some socks into the port and it certainly helps. I'm sure its killing the output, but removing the shuffle is worth it.
So my question is. Should I poly fill the entire sub to remove the shuffle? I've never done the fill. I know they are not really intended for ported subs, but I do not mind stopping the air flow, this sub needs the flow removed to play loudly. Do you guys worry about the heat from the amp or speaker? I do not want a fire! There a certain type of fill that is heat resistant?
Moreover, do not worry. I am shopping for an upgrade. I will put the bigger sub (will be an F12, Polk PSW505 or the 15 inch Dayton Sub) where this polk is and move the impoved polk to the front where I have my sad stock Onkyo sub at.

Last edited by dauber65; 11-07-2014 at 02:34 PM.
post #14 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
It's the size of your room thats killing it. A little sub just cannot fill a big room with big bass. You need a bigger sub in order to get big bass. What is the total open are that is connected to your viewing area? Give it to us in cubic feet so we can give you an idea of how big of a sub you need.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #15 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Instead of going for one Dayton SUB-1500, I'd go for multiple Dayton Audio SUB-1200. Bang for yer buck. Yarrr. /piratemode.
post #16 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 03:35 PM

This is the layout

Pictures from previous owner, but gives the idea of the location. Obviously my equipment is not in these pictures.

post #17 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Holy!!

That space is HUGE! There is no way you're going to mod your little PSW to provide any bass in that large of a space. I'd say dual 15"s at the very least. More like quad 18"s in that big of a space.

You never did provide dimensions of the space....??

EDIT, never mind...I see now that it's around 10K cu. ft. All I can say is....good luck.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #18 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
That space is HUGE! There is no way you're going to mod your little PSW to provide any bass in that large of a space. I'd say dual 15"s at the very least. More like quad 18"s in that big of a space.
Two fifteens would do...loaded in folded horns.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #19 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 PM

More pictures of the PSW10 and room size

I'm aware now the PSW10 will not give the room the bass I need. It is possible to localize the bass response on one side of the room since that is the only TV location or will the big room always eat the bass?
I went downstairs and took some pictures of my setup.

post #20 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 PM

Yes I have the room for 15's and 18's out the wazoo. I could even plant them behind the small area behind the TV for running wires.
However, my wife does not understand my desire for bass and thinks this is all very dumb. I do not think she would care what it looks like since this is my area. However she does not want me to spend more then $5 on anything A/V related.
I think I could convince her to let me spend 300 bucks on something for Christmas, but anything else I'm going to get stonewalled from her.
She flipped out when I put shakers on the couch earlier this year with a small dayton amp. Total project cost of $125, but she refused to sit on the couch before she thinks its that dumb I want some tactile feel down there.
post #21 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber65 View Post
Yes I have the room for 15's and 18's out the wazoo. I could even plant them behind the small area behind the TV for running wires.
However, my wife does not understand my desire for bass and thinks this is all very dumb. I do not think she would care what it looks like since this is my area. However she does not want me to spend more then $5 on anything A/V related.
I think I could convince her to let me spend 300 bucks on something for Christmas, but anything else I'm going to get stonewalled from her.
She flipped out when I put shakers on the couch earlier this year with a small dayton amp. Total project cost of $125, but she refused to sit on the couch before she thinks its that dumb I want some tactile feel down there.
Go in her closet and tell her you think it's dumb to have so many shoes and purses. Perhaps she will understand you a little better then.

post #22 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 PM

Have you ever been kicked in the nuts by a woman? If not, you can try telling that to my wife first.
chirpie and Archaea like this.
post #23 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the review , it's nice to see that my amateur listening sense is generally in line with your findings . I bought a PSW10 about a year ago for a little bit of bass , I live in an apt. so all I can reasonably do is a little. This sub adds quite a bit of lower end to my 5.1 system at the listening levels I can usually hit without annoying my neighbor. I would love to be able to run some killer setup that could rattle my teeth out , but I , along with many out there just can't , thus something like the PSW10 fills an important roll . Spend $80 for something that does the job at hand , or $300+ on something that will never be exercised to it's potential seemed like a no brainer to me.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #24 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Have you ever been kicked in the nuts by a woman? If not, you can try telling that to my wife first.
Luckily I'm pretty tall and quite agile , so there have been several attempts , but no connections
Would you be able to get the subs afterward? How bad do you want them? Pain fades...

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #25 of 32 Old 11-08-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
Luckily I'm pretty tall and quite agile , so there have been several attempts , but no connections
Would you be able to get the subs afterward? How bad do you want them? Pain fades...
You are a wise man.....

post #26 of 32 Old 11-08-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bob and weave baby, bob and weave.....
Archaea likes this.

post #27 of 32 Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
ink

I think after the devastating kick, she still would give me hell for thinking of getting subs. She is cruel like that.
I'll see if I get an F12 or something for Christmas. If not, I might start doing some serious shopping.
post #28 of 32 Old 11-14-2014, 02:15 PM

So I have just stuffed my port full of socks to reduce the port shuffle that is crazy when you play Hz sweeps from 10-100. Around 40 the shuffle goes away on its own. With the port stuffed, the shuffle is gone obviously. So I'm not a box designer, but would a biggger or extra port help this PSW10 out? Or would that make it sound so bad since the box is not designed for an extra port it would sound even worse? Just curious.
post #29 of 32 Old 11-14-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 426
It's "chuffing".

Just get a new sub already, would ya?

Yes, modifying the port, or adding a port () would not be good.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #30 of 32 Old 11-14-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I have just stuffed my port full of socks to reduce the port shuffle that is crazy when you play Hz sweeps from 10-100. Around 40 the shuffle goes away on its own. With the port stuffed, the shuffle is gone obviously. So I'm not a box designer, but would a biggger or extra port help this PSW10 out? Or would that make it sound so bad since the box is not designed for an extra port it would sound even worse? Just curious.

Polk already optomized the cheap little driver and cabinet combination.
Your sock stuffing and hole cutting attempts will do nothing to help the sound.

Your socks stuffing has elminated all deep bass basically. It more or less turned the sub into a sealed design with the wrong size (too big now) enclosure and the cheap driver isnt really deisgned/well matched for that alignment and won't play any lower frequencies (typical advantage of sealed) because a built in HPF on the plate amp. Basically you made the sub worse.

The good news is your sock stuffing won't hurt the sub. It has limiters built in, and a team of smart designers who made design choices to keep the product from being damaged by the crazy things consumers do - like stuffing socks in bass reflex ports.

You probably can't tell you made the frequency response/sound worse, because the Polk PSW-10 didn't have much low end to begin with and in your size space it might as well have none. You frequency response probably looks like a mole hill in your room with the sock stuffing in the port and your sub probably isn't doing much at all under 40hz at this point. Filling the interior with poly fill won't do much either. It MIGHT give you an extra dB at 35hz in your room, and take away a dB or two in the upper bass. That is inconsequential - and if you cut your sub off at 80hz with AVR's crossover to the speakers you won't benefit from the upper bass smoothing that occurrs around 150hz and higher with polyfill because your sub isn't playing there anyway. Basically filling your sub with polyfil is a waste of $5 and the time you spend to do it. Sell off the Polk and sweet talk your wife into something better (wear a cup for the conversation if necessary).

Show her this forum and these posts to help her understand that you aren't alone in thinking your sub is underwhelming - and as a Man - you need more subwoofer. Tell her she can choose to support you in the ability to make a few decisions on pursuing something that makes you happy, even if she doesn't understand.

If that doesn't work - promote the creation of seperate fun money accounts (a his and hers) where each of you get 2.5% of your income direct deposited into an account that the other doesn't have access too - and from which you can spend however you want. When in place - save up. If you can afford 5% each, then by all means do 5%.

That's why I have eight sealed DIY subwoofers and my wife has nothing to say about my eight subwoofers. I purchased them free and clear with fun money -- money allocated to my 'fun' spending. She has NO say in my fun money spending and I have no say in her fun money spending. Our accounts and bills are otherwise shared wholly. With her fun money she can buy all the shoes, kitchen items, whatever she wants and it doesn't make me frustrated if she just says "fun money", and likewise she doesn't have to worry about my purchase of audio gear effecting whether we have the money to pay our mortgage or grocery needs. If we simply say fun money any potential disagreement about the purchase evaporates! It's an amazing concept! In practice - any particular item of interest to only one person (outside of the realm of normal day to day household items and expenses) is a fun money purchase. It's an easy rule to agree upon, and follow.

WIN - WIN

BUT at this time --- since your options are really limited by your WAF, (wife acceptance factor), and any depth of note quality is limited by your huge room and limited budget - you'll be best off going with something like a Bic PL200. Skip the F12 -- it's only one step better than what you have. The Bic PL200 is maybe 1.5 steps better and still in your budget. Or if you can swing two Bic F12s that would be preferable for your space over a single PL200.
http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=86

The truth of the matter is for $300 bucks in a space that large you probably won't be super happy with anything you get. You'll be best off getting a larger diameter sub with a 30hz tune than a smaller sub with a deeper tune because the smaller sub in your large room won't have enough output at the lowest frequencies to be of any consequence.

I recommend looking at craigslist locally to see what's available. You don't have much chance of filling that size space with the lower frequencies even at double your $300 budget --- unless you stumble upon something like this - if you could find it used in your area - and talk your wife into the extra coin -- well you'd likely be very pleased with the results. (for now.....)

For Sale 2 SVS CS 16-46 subs with Samson 700 amp

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

Last edited by Archaea; 11-14-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com