How do I set the KK DX 808 (that thump in the chest (mid bass 50-250Hz)) and Rythmik F12 (to get the rumble in the sofa / floor (low bass < 40Hz)) ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How do I set the KK DX 808 (that thump in the chest (mid bass 50-250Hz)) and Rythmik F12 (to get the rumble in the sofa / floor (low bass < 40Hz)) ?

Please pardon my ignorance I may be trying to achieve something which is difficult given my limited knowledge of how things work. Your easy to understand advice ( for new newbies ) much appreciated and thanks in advance for that.

My receiver ( AVR – Marantz SR7005) has Audyssey Multeq XT which has 2 sub outs is capable of setting up dual subwoofers. My first thought when I got the KK was to connect it to the 2nd sub out and let audyssey do its thing. But I think I am wrong as I need audyssey to see the sub as one not as two separate subs.

The KK is placed on top of the F12 , should I use a “y” adaptor and connect the AVR ( using only one sub out) to the “line in” KK and F12?

How to set the knobs ( initial setup of the parameters) on the subs so as to integrate KK & F12 before audyssey and after audyssey?

For Rythmik F12:

Would be grateful if you could kindly guide me on the initial setup of parameters for the F12 "before audyssey" and "after audyssey" .

PEQ on or off?
Settings for :
Gain
Bandwidth
Frequency

Delay/phase , crossover , level setting?

Settings for subwoofer low pass and rumble filter

Settings for extension filter: freq and damping

For KK 808:

Would be grateful if you could guide me on the initial setup of parameters for the KK 808 before audyssey and after audyssey.

Auto on/off:
Low pass filter:
Bass level:
Variable phase:
Variable low pass filter:

Some information on my current setup:

Fronts – Monitor Audio GX300
Centre – A pair or Monitor Audio RX6.
Surrounds – RX1
Emotiva – XPA 1’s for the fronts
ATI amp for the center and surrounds
Oppo 95
Marantz SR7005 AV Receiver – using it as a pre amp and hooked to ATI and Emotiva amp.

Room – wide 3.4m x long 4.0m x height 3.8m

Crossover settings as per below:
Fronts: Monitor audio GX 300, small / 80hz
Centre: Monitor Audio silver RX6 (pair) , Small / 90 Hz
Surrounds: Monitor Audio RX1, Small / 120 Hz
LFE (not LFE+main)
LPF for LFE = 120 Hz

Thank you for your patience. Look forward to your comments.

rgds

Ajit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 13
Hey man how are you liking the 808? What can you say about it? Is it worth the money? I have a big room to fill 20 by 50 would 2 be suffice?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 435
First of all I would would say this is a horrible misuse of the F12. No sealed 12" is a deep frequency bottom trawler. To relegate a Rythmik to that role makes me sad.

Since the KK sub doesn't have a high pass filter that I can see (which is crazy given its price), you won't be able to accomplish what you want without a separate high pass filter, something like this.

Also, your Audyssey does only see one subwoofer. Audyssey XT32 with the SubEQ can deal with dual subs, but your version can not.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Franky,

The KK 808 in the dual mode is something totally else...its very fast, accurate and will blow you over! But they are expensive. The KK 12012 single is comparable to a dual 808. They need to be put in a corner. I am not sure for your room size which will suffice. But you will have a problem if you are looking for low bass. Cheers
post #5 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Dear Shady,

I am playing around with what I have!

From the AVR sub out the signal goes to the F12 line in , the F12 is the PEQ 2 with HPF output. The RCA from F12 HPF out connect to KK-808 RCA Line input !

It can be done...it a matter of tweaking after that. Its not the best combination but effectively I am routing the low bass to the F12( whether F12 can produce it effectively and is a bottom trawler or not that we all know about).

It is better than running a single KK 808 which definitely cannot produce the lows the F12 can . The F12 is taking over the 50hz to 20hz region ( or 15hz as is claimed , doubtful) . The KK is highly and accurately effective in the 50hz and above .
post #6 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 435
If the F12 can send out a high passed signal, then you are in business. Not at all an ideal use for the Rythmik sub though. You will need a SPL meter to make sure the Rythmik and KK are in phase, otherwise they could be doing some cancellation at their crossover point. Set them to be in phase before running room correction. Hopefully room correction EQs do not knock them out of phase.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingajit View Post

How do I set the KK DX 808 (that thump in the chest (mid bass 50-250Hz)) and Rythmik F12 (to get the rumble in the sofa / floor (low bass < 40Hz)) ?

Please pardon my ignorance I may be trying to achieve something which is difficult given my limited knowledge of how things work. Your easy to understand advice ( for new newbies ) much appreciated and thanks in advance for that.

My receiver ( AVR – Marantz SR7005) has Audyssey Multeq XT which has 2 sub outs is capable of setting up dual subwoofers. My first thought when I got the KK was to connect it to the 2nd sub out and let audyssey do its thing. But I think I am wrong as I need audyssey to see the sub as one not as two separate subs.

The KK is placed on top of the F12 , should I use a “y” adaptor and connect the AVR ( using only one sub out) to the “line in” KK and F12?

How to set the knobs ( initial setup of the parameters) on the subs so as to integrate KK & F12 before audyssey and after audyssey?

For Rythmik F12:

Would be grateful if you could kindly guide me on the initial setup of parameters for the F12 "before audyssey" and "after audyssey" .

PEQ on or off?
Settings for :
Gain
Bandwidth
Frequency

Delay/phase , crossover , level setting?

Settings for subwoofer low pass and rumble filter

Settings for extension filter: freq and damping

For KK 808:

Would be grateful if you could guide me on the initial setup of parameters for the KK 808 before audyssey and after audyssey.

Auto on/off:
Low pass filter:
Bass level:
Variable phase:
Variable low pass filter:

Some information on my current setup:

Fronts – Monitor Audio GX300
Centre – A pair or Monitor Audio RX6.
Surrounds – RX1
Emotiva – XPA 1’s for the fronts
ATI amp for the center and surrounds
Oppo 95
Marantz SR7005 AV Receiver – using it as a pre amp and hooked to ATI and Emotiva amp.

Room – wide 3.4m x long 4.0m x height 3.8m

Crossover settings as per below:
Fronts: Monitor audio GX 300, small / 80hz
Centre: Monitor Audio silver RX6 (pair) , Small / 90 Hz
Surrounds: Monitor Audio RX1, Small / 120 Hz
LFE (not LFE+main)
LPF for LFE = 120 Hz

Thank you for your patience. Look forward to your comments.

rgds

Ajit

Hi! congrats on the 808! glad to see someone picking up on Ken's incredible new subs I have a single 12012 and have spent the last month fine tuning placement, Ken has provided the green dots on the back of the sub for easy setup and should stay there , I did have to adjust the gain to get my Audyssey to -6.5, but in the normal position I got anywhere from -10db to 11.5db( adjust only if Audyssey bottoms out at -12db) the gain to set Audyssey from my Marantz 8801 which has XT32, but for placement and setup it was done without Audyssey, I would first try if you already haven't place the 808 alone in the right corner if possible with its side driver facing the wall about 2-3" away with the rear of the sub 6-7" out , and gauge the 808 performance alone! This is the setup it was designed by Ken to work best , it doesn't need High pass filtering because it can cleanly produces upper bass as you've already heard like no other! but lets get to the lows its capable (10hz, but not as loud as a lager sub but that's what it can produce!)) of play some good to you bass tracks and experiment closer to the rear wall and side wall from the recommended 2-6" each direction till it sounds good as Audyssey will take care of the rest, if you have tried this post back the results you found, it may best if placement allows to separate the two subs and go for smoother integration as a whole as both have low bass capabilities, and we can go from there!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page