Dayton, Polk, Precision Acoustics? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I recently bought a pair of Psb 400's and an 8" jbl arc sub. The sub just can't keep up with the psb's for speed and blocking the port only causes the woofer to bottom out at higher volumes, spike frequencies (and possibly over heat it).

I've been considering my options for a budget -200$ upgrade and recently checked out Solen audio for Dayton subs and found the Sub 1000 for around 100$.

My only other options for a new subwooofer (unless there's a really good sale) is a Precision Acoustics sub and the 50 watt Polks.

I also don't have a problem waiting for a good brand name sub to pop up used on kijiji from Velodyne, Jbl, Klipsch, Paradigm, Psb, Polk, Boston Acoustics, Energy or any others that may blend well with the psb's.

So are the Daytons similar to the Svs and Hsu selling style where you get more sub for a cheaper price than you would at Best buy.

I don't mean to say Daytons would be as high end as Svs or Hsu but i also don't have the money or the need for a higher end sub right now.

Speed and depth are important to me, the psb's go surprisingly low for bookshelves (sound pretty flat down to the 40-50hz range) so the sub doesn't need to do much work above that.
The lower the better i don't think clean output to 25 hz is unreasonable within the budget but the jbl is only rated for 45hz and the lowest i've heard is a Cerwin Vega rated for 30 which was plenty deep for me.

The room is quite small (14x16 with lots of furniture) but a couple cubic feet of space is available for the sub, although a smaller sub will probably be sufficient.

Paradigm's and Psb's are quite common over here but other common Bestbuy brands often pop up on kijiji.

Any help is greatly appreciated smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll probably check out the Daytons, sounds like the best thing that will ship in Canada.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Personally, I don't anticipate any of those subwoofers integrating with your PSB's all that well. You have pretty nice speakers, yet you're looking at less than average subs, so the outcome is not going to be in your favor. It's probably better to wait until you have a sufficient amount of money to buy something that will compliment your speakers instead of insulting them.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What might that be? A 500$ svs isn't really in the budget in the forseeable future and I really haven't found a bad review on the Daytons.
What do you personally think of the Dayton 1200's?
I should also mention i have a decent eq to smooth out any over powering frequencies and push 20 and 25 hz.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

What might that be? A 500$ svs isn't really in the budget in the forseeable future and I really haven't found a bad review on the Daytons.

What you're reading about the Dayton has to be taken in context though; someone spending $100 on a powered subwoofer can't reasonably have much in the way of expectations, so in that light it's probably not too bad for the person primarily interested in HT who doesn't have a large room. Music would be another story I'm afraid, but in your case my concern was associated to the PSB's. Those are nice speakers, and your mating them to a sub that really isn't in the same class. Will it play bass? Sure, but not the type that will compliment your speakers. I think Dayton is offering a remarkable bargain with those subs, but you have to understand it's a driver, amp, cabinet, grill, ancillaries and the labor to build it. All sold for $100, with perhaps 50% of that profit. What type of parts do you think they've been forced to use in order to achieve that price point?

Quote:

I should also mention i have a decent eq to smooth out any over powering frequencies and push 20 and 25 hz.

An EQ can't improve sound quality though, only smooth out peaks and valleys. You can certainly use it to tailor the output to your liking, but it won't be able to make it sound better.

One of the first areas that budget subs cut back on is deep extension, because doing that properly costs a good deal of money in parts. If you opt to boost the sub-30Hz range you're going to seriously impact available headroom - your ability to turn the volume up essentially - so there are some inherent drawbacks to what you're planning on doing. I'm not saying don't, just that there will be audible consequences if you do so.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"so in that light it's probably not too bad for the person primarily interested in HT who doesn't have a large room" You hit the nail right on the head wink.gif
My entire setup cost less than 200$, that's 2 Psb 500's, 2 Psb 400's and a Kenwood Reciever all going into a 150 sq ft theater room.
Basically my expectations are much lower than my post may have implied. I've listened to very few subs that i would think about integrating for critical listening of music and when i have the money to own such a sub i'll likely have heftier speakers as well.
If there is something i can buy down here in the land of igloos and Tim hortons, that would perform better in the 200-300$ price range I am definetly all ears but i am limited in that i can't ship Bic's or Premier Acoustic's and the Acoustic Audio subs i've looked at appear to be constructed of some ridiculously cheap materials aside from the kevlar and poly cones.

My only other options are some lower end used psb subs (subsonic 6 with horrible port noise and low output) Paradigm Pdr 10's and the occasional older Velo.

Thank you for taking the time to help though.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If there is something i can buy down here in the land of igloos and Tim hortons, that would perform better in the 200-300$ price range I am definetly all ears but i am limited in that i can't ship Bic's or Premier Acoustic's and the Acoustic Audio subs i've looked at appear to be constructed of some ridiculously cheap materials aside from the kevlar and poly cones.

Given your circumstances it sounds like you have the best alternative already, so that might indeed me the way to go. Smart move to stay away from the AA subs too; they're not really worth the hassle and aggravation.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page