AVS Forum banner

NEED TO FILL BIG ROOM HELP WITH MY DECISION PLS!!

5K views 122 replies 18 participants last post by  frankie2075 
#1 ·
hey guys i recently moved from Brooklyn NY to Staten island NY. the room that will have my home theater in it is a lot bigger then the room it came from so i need to fill it with BASS!! I like it loud i listen at reference 90% of the time movies and music. mostly movies but when i have party's i like it to sound like a club chest pounding bassss!! So far this is what i been looking at any ideas, pointers, thoughts please feel free to let me know! hope to hear from you guys. don't forget i already have eD sub the has 2 sealed 13in drivers in case your not familiar with that sub.

ROOM

Open basment 20x45x9

EQUIPMENT

Denon 4311ci

Oppo 103BDP

Emotiva Xpa-3

Emotiva Xpa-2

CHT SHO-10s

Elemental A7s-650 Behringer ep2000 for eD sub

Buying Epson 5020 Projector

2 X SVS pb13 ULTRAS-- $4000 lil pricey

2 X PSA (Power Sound Audio) XV30-- $3000 going to be a lil cheaper with 5% discount

4 X PSA XV15 --$3200 5% discount as well

2 X Rythmik FV15HP --$3000

1 X JTR CAP2400 --$2500 only can afford one for now

1 X Funk Audio 18.1 -- $2200 only one for now

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/30#post_22967847

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/30#post_22967842

Yes sir thats true well i contacted **** audio and seeing what they can do for me on building some folded horn or ported sub. If its not visable then im leaning towards orbital shifter.
damn auto correct funk i ment! Lol

You mean funk audio? If so, that's going to be EXPENSIVE but will likely be more beautiful then any furniture in my home. Their subs are gorgeous though. I thought looks were secondary and performance was everything for your situation?

#53 ·
You can get the GH built for you, and I would find someone local(NYC is a big place) to save on shipping. MY system would equal the 8 x 18 SI sealed system for less and already built. The sealed systems would give you full to at least 10hz.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/30#post_22968032

You mean funk audio? If so, that's going to be EXPENSIVE but will likely be more beautiful then any furniture in my home. Their subs are gorgeous though. I thought looks were secondary and performance was everything for your situation?
Yea they do but i told Nathan that i don't need any exotic wood or finishes just performance. Mdf or plywood is fine with black finish will be fine

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/30#post_22968306

You can get the GH built for you, and I would find someone local(NYC is a big place) to save on shipping. MY system would equal the 8 x 18 SI sealed system for less and already built. The sealed systems would give you full to at least 10hz.
So mk u have 6 a7s650 12 13av driver total correct?

#58 ·
I made sure everything was balanced with very high performance DIY speakers too! I have the most money in the room.

My list of equipment are the following:

Pioneer elite projector which is a JVC clone but shiny

Seymour Av center stage XD screen(137 inches)

PS3 bluray player

DIY BFM DR-250 dual stacked front stage

DIY BFM wedge 8 with T-39 bottoms for surrounds

The 12 13 inch drivers in sealed cabs(dual 13's per cab)

Meridian 861 processor

Ada MPA-500 amp

Nakamichi PA-1 amp

Tons of room treatment, bass traps, and sound deadening in te concrete bunker. Under 10% THD from 10hz on up at very loud levels and under 3% THD at reference.

#60 ·
If DIY out.

Orbit Shifter, Have I expressed my enthusiasm? Absolutely you can put time, effort, and skills into an incredible sub system which costs less if you don't include time, effort, and skills..

OK so part of me wants you to do it just so I can see you respond. :OhhMyyyFriggenWallFalllllinIntoPositionToSaveTheCeilingwhichWaaaasssssShatterinng. And Ohhhh by the way I found a couple nice screwdrivers in the rubble that was my neighbors house. Jeff is coming by tomorrow.

DIY high output alternatives have been discussed.Has anyone questioned an orbit shifters output? It's called that for a reason.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/30#post_22971121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1447683/high-output-multiple-driver-diy-main-recommendations/390#post_22923470

You guys running full range brought back some memories I had when I first calibrated my JBL's. This was my center JBL 3622N at my center seat or main LP.

Here is how it measured on small with an 80hz XO

Here were the subs with an 80hz XO

Here they were together running small, 80hz Crossover, with subs

Then I tried to measure them ful range with no subs and I got this!

I said to myself what the hell do I need a sub for and then ran some movies comparing the two and it was no contest, subs remained but the graphs looked similar and I don't know why.

Then I added dual DTS-10's which replaced the 8 sealed subs and this was their response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1447683/high-output-multiple-driver-diy-main-recommendations/390#post_22923489

#63 ·
That was my old JBL eD 190v2 setup. I had 8 sealed subs and those 3622n speakers. My system now is better! You can drive up anytime, 4 hours on 87 and 90 exit 31. I am the Utica area. If you heard what your sub could do with multiples you would take them home. Right now I am running them with only 500 watts per sub and using just 10 drivers and the bass is nuts! I was thinking of trying to design a tapped horn with lilmike with these drivers which would be amazing! Not that anyone would need even more output, that is for using less subs and drivers for less cost.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/60#post_22978010

That was my old JBL eD 190v2 setup. I had 8 sealed subs and those 3622n speakers. My system now is better! You can drive up anytime, 4 hours on 87 and 90 exit 31. I am the Utica area. If you heard what your sub could do with multiples you would take them home. Right now I am running them with only 500 watts per sub and using just 10 drivers and the bass is nuts! I was thinking of trying to design a tapped horn with lilmike with these drivers which would be amazing! Not that anyone would need even more output, that is for using less subs and drivers for less cost.
Mk im deff for tapped horn with these drivers im in. But i would love to come up and hear what you got and check out those ed subs. I would have to rent a truck in case i decide to take them home. Your 4 hrs from me?

#66 ·
Here is the model for both, the single sealed 15 vs one A7s-650.

I am not sure if the Dayton would go over excursion with 800 watts because this version of winisd does not let me check cone excursion.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/60#post_22978336

Here is the model for both, the single sealed 15 vs one A7s-650.

I am not sure if the Dayton would go over excursion with 800 watts because this version of winisd does not let me check cone excursion.
mk to me that sub looks like i modeled pretty good. Ik its a 15 vs 13 which says a lot for the 13. But the dayton looks pretty interesting. Y is it u think the purpose of them making that drive and the intent they have for it. For the lows? Cause they already have there other driver titanic mkiii and the rs. What size box did u model that dayton driver in? Hard for me to see on my phone. They recommend a 3.0cu. Maybe ricci can test this driver out.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/60#post_22979188

mk to me that sub looks like i modeled pretty good. Ik its a 15 vs 13 which says a lot for the 13. But the dayton looks pretty interesting. Y is it u think the purpose of them making that drive and the intent they have for it. For the lows? Cause they already have there other driver titanic mkiii and the rs. What size box did u model that dayton driver in? Hard for me to see on my phone. They recommend a 3.0cu. Maybe ricci can test this driver out.

I will remodel that driver so I can see the cone excursion. That 15 needs a bigger box than normal 15's. It was 22 inch cubed. Here comes another one.

#69 ·
Here they are using the power that keeps excursion under x-max for full bandwidth.

The single sealed 15(20 inch cubed) vs your eD sub.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/60#post_22979560

Here they are using the power that keeps excursion under x-max for full bandwidth.

The single sealed 15(20 inch cubed) vs your eD sub.

thats 1 eD vs the 1 15in? or 2 eD Vs 1 15in? so what this is telling us is that the eD is superior?

#71 ·
That is your sub, one eD A7S-650(2 drivers and 1300 watts) vs one 15. Now if you use the full 800 watts on the Dayton it gets way past excursion at even 20hz! This is keeping excursion under x-max even at 5hz. I can change it to be excursion limited to 10hz if you wish. If I were going to build a sub it would have to be better than what I have, not equal or less than. That driver is $200 and the SI 18 is much better for less!

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/60#post_22979610

That is your sub, one eD A7S-650(2 drivers and 1300 watts) vs one 15. Now if you use the full 800 watts on the Dayton it gets way past excursion at even 20hz! This is keeping excursion under x-max even at 5hz. I can change it to be excursion limited to 10hz if you wish. If I were going to build a sub it would have to be better than what I have, not equal or less than. That driver is $200 and the SI 18 is much better for less!
Yea your right i did think the SI is a better value and its a 18in. Now how do u think that one 18in si would compare to my sub.

#73 ·
Hang on, I will show you.

Here they are

However, here are the same vs the 190v2 from eD.

Ricci measured both the SI and the 190v2 and the SI was much better so the sims are not as accurate. I also think the 13av2 is better than the 190v2 down low but you still need more of them being smaller drivers. Here is what it looks like with one vs one ve one. Remember I have 12 and I used to have 8 190v2's. The 12 AV's are better in my room without question and have 6 dBs more ouput at 10hz.

Here they are with one SI vs one 190v2 vs one 13av2

This shows the 190v2 having 3 more dBs of output vs the 13. So in my room the 8 190v2s should have 3 dBs more than 8 13av2 or about the same with my 12 13's vs my 8 190v2s. This is not correct because the 13av2's have less rolloff and had less THD at 10hz with a higher spl to boot. I was close to 6 dBs more output at 10hz using the same THD with the 13av2's so again the sims are wrong. Maybe it was my amp on the 13's that made the difference, who knows.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/60#post_22980265

Hang on, I will show you.

Here they are

However, here are the same vs the 190v2 from eD.

Ricci measured both the SI and the 190v2 and the SI was much better so the sims are not as accurate. I also think the 13av2 is better than the 190v2 down low but you still need more of them being smaller drivers. Here is what it looks like with one vs one ve one. Remember I have 12 and I used to have 8 190v2's. The 12 AV's are better in my room without question and have 6 dBs more ouput at 10hz.

Here they are with one SI vs one 190v2 vs one 13av2

This shows the 190v2 having 3 more dBs of output vs the 13. So in my room the 8 190v2s should have 3 dBs more than 8 13av2 or about the same with my 12 13's vs my 8 190v2s. This is not correct because the 13av2's have less rolloff and had less THD at 10hz with a higher spl to boot. I was close to 6 dBs more output at 10hz using the same THD with the 13av2's so again the sims are wrong. Maybe it was my amp on the 13's that made the difference, who knows.
thanks mk the si subs look like a winner for the price. What were u selling your subs for again? And how far from me are you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.