AVS Forum banner

NEED TO FILL BIG ROOM HELP WITH MY DECISION PLS!!

5K views 122 replies 18 participants last post by  frankie2075 
#1 ·
hey guys i recently moved from Brooklyn NY to Staten island NY. the room that will have my home theater in it is a lot bigger then the room it came from so i need to fill it with BASS!! I like it loud i listen at reference 90% of the time movies and music. mostly movies but when i have party's i like it to sound like a club chest pounding bassss!! So far this is what i been looking at any ideas, pointers, thoughts please feel free to let me know! hope to hear from you guys. don't forget i already have eD sub the has 2 sealed 13in drivers in case your not familiar with that sub.

ROOM

Open basment 20x45x9

EQUIPMENT

Denon 4311ci

Oppo 103BDP

Emotiva Xpa-3

Emotiva Xpa-2

CHT SHO-10s

Elemental A7s-650 Behringer ep2000 for eD sub

Buying Epson 5020 Projector

2 X SVS pb13 ULTRAS-- $4000 lil pricey

2 X PSA (Power Sound Audio) XV30-- $3000 going to be a lil cheaper with 5% discount

4 X PSA XV15 --$3200 5% discount as well

2 X Rythmik FV15HP --$3000

1 X JTR CAP2400 --$2500 only can afford one for now

1 X Funk Audio 18.1 -- $2200 only one for now

See less See more
#2 ·
That room is HUGE:eek:

I'd say the CAP and add another when your budget allows. I love my Rythmik FV15HP and I plan on adding another but I don't know if two would do it in a room that large...

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22953173

Over priced is a relative term. Funk makes some of the best looking/sounding subs on the market with a very high WAF.

agreed but i am not to worried about the looks.. i just looked at there website and looked at the 18.1 looks interesting will add it to the list of sub.. thanks for the input

#7 ·
Why not three SVS PB12 NSD's ? One for each front speaker? Hell why not 4 for each corner forget the center?
Four will be under 3k

Nashou

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22953256

Why not three SVS PB12 NSD's ? One for each front speaker? Hell why not 4 for each corner forget the center?
Four will be under 3k

Nashou
not to sure they will have the output for my size room plus when i called SVS an told them they recommend 2 ultras for my size room.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22953054

hey guys i recently moved from Brooklyn NY to Staten island NY. the room that will have my home theater in it is a lot bigger then the room it came from so i need to fill it with BASS!! I like it loud i listen at reference 90% of the time movies and music. mostly movies but when i have party's i like it to sound like a club chest pounding bassss!! So far this is what i been looking at any ideas, pointers, thoughts please feel free to let me know! hope to hear from you guys. don't forget i already have eD sub the has 2 sealed 13in drivers in case your not familiar with that sub.

ROOM

Open basment 20x45x9

EQUIPMENT

Denon 4311ci

Oppo 103BDP

Emotiva Xpa-3

Emotiva Xpa-2

CHT SHO-10s

Elemental A7s-650 Behringer ep2000 for eD sub

Buying Epson 5020 Projector

2 X SVS pb13 ULTRAS-- $4000 lil pricey

2 X PSA (Power Sound Audio) XV30-- $3000 going to be a lil cheaper with 5% discount

4 X PSA XV15 --$3200 5% discount as well

2 X Rythmik FV15HP --$3000

1 X Funk Audio 18.1 -- $2200 only one for now

Out of these, if you don't mind a little bit of setup, I probably go with a passive Captivator and get a separate amp and EQ. Give Jeff a call and see what he thinks.

Or if you have the room and don't mind a bit of a drive, you could see if MKTheater has any of his DIY eD 650s left for sale. Other than DIY, this would be your best deal.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417924/6-diy-ed-a7s-650-kits-with-fp14k-clone/210#post_22926937

If you don't already have a mic, I would also set aside $100 or so to get a USB mic and learn REW to assist in setup and to get the most our of your subs.

-Mike

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22953054

Based on all you posted, the above choice with a second one to follow as soon as possible.

An additional possibility, four, Power Sound Audio, XV30's as you're wanting quality (club like sound) subwoofer sound in a cavernous space. Place two, equally divided on the long walls. With your specifications in mind, in truth, to meet your requirements, you're going have to step up your game above what your choices are. Personally, in truth, to meet your posted requirements, my recommendation would be to go with six XV30's (two on each of the long walls and one on each of the short walls) but in doing so, I might be accused of excess but in doing so, you'll get what you posted that you want.

-

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead1230  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22953652

Out of these, if you don't mind a little bit of setup, I probably go with a passive Captivator and get a separate amp and EQ. Give Jeff a call and see what he thinks.

If you don't already have a mic, I would also set aside $100 or so to get a USB mic and learn REW to assist in setup and to get the most our of your subs.

-Mike

I was thinking the same thing for this situation. Dual passive Caps on the right pro amp are going to pound massively when called upon.

OP, there are so many good options out there. I love my dual Rythmik FV15HP's, 2-4 XS30's, or the caps would be the way I'd lean in your shoes. The caps are going to have more output then the dual Rythmiks. The output difference between the Rythmik and the XS30 is frequency dependent, FV15HP doing better close to port tune down low, XS30 having the edge a little higher up in the spectrum, neither having a huge edge anywhere. 4 XS30's would be sweet.

I've heard gorilla's dual passive caps and the amount of output and tactile feel they delivered was unbelievable. I was picking pieces of his ceiling out of my hair after that demo. The people in the room above us said their floor was flexing. I'm curious how 4 XS30's would compare SPL wise, but the caps leave no doubt to their sheer output and they do sound very clean as well. They look fine but I'm not in love with their appearance, a little more pro gearish (though they do offer high end finishes as well) but as you said it's all about the performance to you. That makes you and JTR a perfect fit IMO.

And regardless of sub choice, measurement gear will take your system to the next level. Some of the best value investment you can make to your system; I consider it essential.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/0_50#post_22955362

What's the difference between a passive captivator 1000 (at $1200) and a passive captivator 2400 (at $1500)?

I think the 1000 handles 1,000 watts RMS and the 2400 handles 2,400 watts RMS.

Remember, you'll need a beefy amp to push 2,400 RMS. You'd probably be better off getting a Cap 1000 and the amp that can handle it, and save on the amp to let you buy a second one sooner.

EDIT ADD ON:

Also, if you had two 2,400 RMS amps running (4,800 watts total), you'll need to see about adding new circuit breakers if you went with the higher RMS wattage. In a perfect case scenario, a single 20 amp circuit might not trip under that 2,400 RMS load. Money, money, money.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22955697

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls/0_50#post_22955362

What's the difference between a passive captivator 1000 (at $1200) and a passive captivator 2400 (at $1500)?

I think the 1000 handles 1,000 watts RMS and the 2400 handles 2,400 watts RMS.

Remember, you'll need a beefy amp to push 2,400 RMS. You'd probably be better off getting a Cap 1000 and the amp that can handle it, and save on the amp to let you buy a second one sooner.

EDIT ADD ON:

Also, if you had two 2,400 RMS amps running (4,800 watts total), you'll need to see about adding new circuit breakers if you went with the higher RMS wattage. In a perfect case scenario, a single 20 amp circuit might not trip under that 2,400 RMS load. Money, money, money.

I thought I read that the driver was the same. I understand the amps on the powered versions are different. I know the 1000 watt version can take more then that.

Are you saying there is a driver difference?

EDIT: I just asked over in the JTR thread for clarification, I'm not sure if I'm remembering and interpreting what I read 6 months ago correct.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22956829

I talked to jeff at JTR today and he said i can do a orbital shifter 3000 bucks crazy out put and would play low. And one will do the job. For now lol. What do you think?

Over the weekend I read the ENTIRE JTR speaker thread and there was a lot of talk about the OS from JTR, its a pretty crazy sub. Below 20hz the Captivator has an output advantage, about 20hz the OS has the advantage.

JTR makes some pretty amazing products. Jeff is literally a one man show, but from everything I've read makes some amazing products. In the sub department not too much else comes close to it.

#18 ·
My system would beat them all for less money and match your existing sub. I had one clone powering them all but you don't even need all that power. My whole system(12 drivers) for $1800! You supply the amp and just an 8 hour road round trip. It would be like having 5 LMS ultras!

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22957489

My system would beat them all for less money and match your existing sub. I had one clone powering them all but you don't even need all that power. My whole system(12 drivers) for $1800! You supply the amp and just an 8 hour road round trip. It would be like having 5 LMS ultras!
haha sounds awesome!! the only thing that i just thought of is that they are out of buisness and if something goes wrong with the sub im beat.. are they painted? what amp would work and how many?

#20 ·
Not painted but I have the paint. If something goes wrong there are drivers that could be used. One amp is all that is needed and a 7500 watt amp in 4 ohms is all you need for crazy levels.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22957510

haha sounds awesome!! the only thing that i just thought of is that they are out of buisness and if something goes wrong with the sub im beat.. are they painted? what amp would work and how many?

Dude since you also live in NY I would seriously consider MKs eD subs. For that price you won't find better performance.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22956887

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22956829

I talked to jeff at JTR today and he said i can do a orbital shifter 3000 bucks crazy out put and would play low. And one will do the job. For now lol. What do you think?

Over the weekend I read the ENTIRE JTR speaker thread and there was a lot of talk about the OS from JTR, its a pretty crazy sub. Below 20hz the Captivator has an output advantage, about 20hz the OS has the advantage.

JTR makes some pretty amazing products. Jeff is literally a one man show, but from everything I've read makes some amazing products. In the sub department not too much else comes close to it.

OMG Orbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit Shifter. Do It, Do It. Jeff is so right.

My question about the different caps was answered over in the JTR thread, and if you want dual caps I'm still thinking Passive 2400, don't limit the potential over $600 (chirpie was correct there is a driver difference 20mm vs 30 mm xmax). The upgrade later you will want is going to cost much more then if you pull the trigger on cap2400. and you could go from Dual passive 2400's on a good amp then go beefy amp down the line for a big upgrade then.

However Orbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter

Show me any sub that will output like that. DoIt, Do It. Wow now I'm questioning my marriage, and she is pretty understanding. Do It.

Edit: Highly recommend you do not put an orbit shifter in your home and hand Jeff the remote.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22958230

My question about the different caps was answered over in the JTR thread, and if you want dual caps I'm still thinking Passive 2400, don't limit the potential over $600 (chirpie was correct there is a driver difference 20mm vs 30 mm xmax). The upgrade later you will want is going to cost much more then if you pull the trigger on cap2400. and you could go from Dual passive 2400's on a good amp then go beefy amp down the line for a big upgrade then.

However Orbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter Orbit ShifterOrbit Shifter Orbit Shifter

Show me any sub that will output like that. DoIt, Do It. Wow now I'm questioning my marriage, and she is pretty understanding. Do It.

Edit: Highly recommend you do not put an orbit shifter in your home and hand Jeff the remote.
hahaha thats hilarious. Im guessing you have heard the orbital shifter? If u have what can u tell me about it? Other then its name lol?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22957955

Not painted but I have the paint. If something goes wrong there are drivers that could be used. One amp is all that is needed and a 7500 watt amp in 4 ohms is all you need for crazy levels.
Now that your getting rid of them im curious as to what you have planned next sir?? Lol im still thinking about the ed subs.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22958547

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22958230

hahaha thats hilarious. Im guessing you have heard the orbital shifter? If u have what can u tell me about it? Other then its name lol?

Actually no but the dual captivator setup were on the verge of causing internal hemorrhaging and the OS is even more output. I've read some reviews from the folks that have heard it and it is sick what that thing can put out. There are measurements around here somewhere. I believe one of the sub GTG threads had an OS review, I'll see if I can dig it up later and will chime back in. Ask over in the JTR thread and I suspect you will receive responses on a similar enthusiastic level. Throw a rock concert at the superdome with that thing.

Do It, Do It.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075  /t/1457715/need-to-fill-big-room-help-with-my-decision-pls#post_22958548

Now that your getting rid of them im curious as to what you have planned next sir?? Lol im still thinking about the ed subs.

Either Tapped horns or LLT's to save some money. If you don't want sealed I would consider two GH designed by ricii and call it a day. The OS has a 30mm x-max horn loaded driver. The GH has a 38 mm horn loaded driver(tapped) and cost almost 1/3 rd to build. I like Jeff's products and I would consider them for commercial products no doubt, but DIY is just sick. All my subs in an array take up a 38 x 96 x 16 area. My system bests two DTS-10's! BTW, those are other options as well, two kits would crush as well. My system would normally cost $5700 and be worth it. Another way to put it, dual Caps2's have 6 dB more output than an OS under 20hz and the OS has 6 dB more output above 20hz. So two Cap2's would have 12 dBs more output under 20hz and equal the OS above 20hz right? Well, my system is like having 2 Cap2 and one Cap1, or 5 drivers. All for much less in cost! However, it might be spoken for already. I am waiting to see for sure. If they are I would seriously consider DTS-10 kits, or Dual GH DIY subs, both cheaper than the OS and have more output. Of course this is DIY. If you want commercial the OS or DTS-10(already built) are great subs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.