AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Kenwood Sub...... (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1457727-kenwood-sub.html)

Legendary70 02-11-2013 08:15 PM

Hello. I have an unusual request. I bought a Kenwood surround sound system a long long time ago. I think it was somewhere around 1994. Now I still have all the components and speakers. The subwoofer is one of those that you have to run speaker wire to and from the sub.

I want to use the sub on my onkyo that I have outback in the patio. But I do not know if I can connect it to the onkyo. the sub does not have an rca connection to just simply run from the sub to the back of the onkyo. How can I hook it up to it??

It is a kr-200ht. thx in advance.

Legendary70 02-12-2013 11:15 AM

Bump.

Anyone?

eek.gif

eljaycanuck 02-12-2013 11:25 AM

Is your sub self-powered ("active")? If yes, run wires:
- from your AVR's L+R speaker-level outputs to the sub's L+R speaker-level inputs;
- from the sub's L+R speaker-level outputs to the L+R speakers.
And, in the AVR's speaker set-up menu, set "subwoofer" to "none".

If your sub is not self-powered ("passive"), you'll need a separate subwoofer amp. Run an RCA connection from your AVR's subwoofer output to the subwoofer amp, and run wires from the subwoofer amp to your sub.

Legendary70 02-16-2013 06:13 PM

Actually I am trying to hook it up outside on my onkyo ht-r540. We use it when we are BBQ outside. Can I hook it up to the onkyo? Right now I got my left and right and center speakers hooked up. Thx.

Legendary70 02-16-2013 06:21 PM

There is no RCA connection on the back.

Legendary70 02-16-2013 06:39 PM

Ok. Got it to work. But it is not putting out much power. I barely feel it. Any ideas??

eljaycanuck 02-16-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:
There is no RCA connection on the back.
You mentioned that in post #1. Please re-read post #3.
Quote:
Ok. Got it to work.
How did you get it to work? If it's a passive sub and your using your Onkyo AVR to power it, that's a bad idea.

Bill Fitzmaurice 02-16-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary70 View Post

Hello. I have an unusual request. I bought a Kenwood surround sound system a long long time ago. I think it was somewhere around 1994. Now I still have all the components and speakers. The subwoofer is one of those that you have to run speaker wire to and from the sub.
I want to use the sub on my onkyo that I have outback in the patio. But I do not know if I can connect it to the onkyo. the sub does not have an rca connection to just simply run from the sub to the back of the onkyo. How can I hook it up to it??
You need a separate amplifier to power it.

Legendary70 02-17-2013 10:01 AM

Why is it a bad idea??

Bill Fitzmaurice 02-17-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary70 View Post

Why is it a bad idea??
Because it won't work. You need a separate amplifier.

Legendary70 02-17-2013 11:51 AM

K. I will stop by best buy. Thx.