My Head IS Spinning, Help Me Decide on a new sub! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and looking for help buying my first sub. I think I have narrowed it down to the Polk PSW505, BIC F12, or the JBL SUB150P. Obviously I am in the $200 price range based on these choices.

I will use it for 60% music and 40% movies. I like all genres of music and want something that will be tight and crisp for jazz bass runs and still powerful enough for movies. I'm not looking to blow my roof off or piss off my neighbors, just something loud enough to enjoy. I will be running it with small JBL satellites for now but will probably upgrade in the near future.

I am open to any other options and thanks in advance for any advice!

Also, I just found a Velodyne 3750r on craigslist for $200 as well. Not sure about buying a used sub but I've heard good things about Velodyne.

BTW, the room it is going in is 20x14x8' ceilings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Of the three you listed, I believe the PSW505 would be the preferred choice for music.

IMO - and given your emphasis on music and accuracy - you should consider saving up for a better sub. Something like an SVS SB-1000 ($499, shipped). Or perhaps the HSU STF-2 ($329 + shipping) which, IIRC, is a decently "musical" sub.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesrt View Post

Also, I just found a on craigslist for $200 as well. Not sure about buying a used sub but I've heard good things about Velodyne.

Based on your above, first and foremost, all our gear is used so when one thinks about buying used, they need to take into consideration, how they, their family and friends use their "stuff." This should give you and idea of if buying used is a good idea or not.

Velodyne 3750r ??? Is woefully to small for a room your size, that's something one might use for a bedroom, office or computer system that is best left for music but not today's Home Theater sound tracks. For a room your size, it would be recommended to buy two 15" subs but of course that would be way outside your stated budget.

The short version, it's all about authority (how deep a sub can dig) and the ability to fill a room with this authority; SPL

What I would encourage you to do is explore your budget options as right now, obviously, this is the limiting factor. Working with you, I'd look for a steal of a quality deal in the twelve or fifteen inch size driver range and keep in mind, honestly, for a room your size, you'll need two subwoofers to get strong, quality bass.

The SVS, PB-1000 is an excellent, entry level recommendation. Another of a similar caliber would be the Rythmik, LV12R. Here's a thread that discusses this new offering.

Peruse the pages of this thread for more budget subwoofer ideas.

Hope the above helps with the spinning.

-
post #4 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 572
The BIC F12 is generally considered the go-to sub for $200. Something else that might be good for $200 is two Dayton SUB-1000. subs, that might make for more even bass throughout your room.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the JBL SUB150P that I mentioned. I realize that it is relatively new but I can get it for $150. And perhaps if it is a good option I can double up later on and still be under $300.

I am pretty firm on the budget right now but I am open to spending more in the future if I get sucked in to this hobby (likely).

Here's a link to an article about the JBL http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2011-05_to_12/2011-11/jbl_sub150p_subwoofer_review_lores.pdf
post #6 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
^^^ Just FYI very dangerous and expensive comment and mindset to have.... Trust me and many others on this forum. Don't buy too small or too cheap of a sub and think that you might upgrade later. Why spend $200 now on a cheap sub and then in a year spend $500 on a good sub? That's $700 so you could either just save and spend $500 or whatever and be happy and consider that you saved $200 or you could spend the whole $700 on an even better sub.

Not trying to push you to spend money just trying to get you to spend wisely or rethink your statement above. If $200 is your hard limit I'd probably say the BIC F-12 if you can up it to $300 then the BIC Acoustech PL-200 and then in the future if you want to upgrade you could also buy a second identical sub.

Shawn
post #7 of 15 Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

^^^ Just FYI very dangerous and expensive comment and mindset to have.... Trust me and many others on this forum. Don't buy too small or too cheap of a sub and think that you might upgrade later. Why spend $200 now on a cheap sub and then in a year spend $500 on a good sub? That's $700 so you could either just save and spend $500 or whatever and be happy and consider that you saved $200 or you could spend the whole $700 on an even better sub.

Not trying to push you to spend money just trying to get you to spend wisely or rethink your statement above. If $200 is your hard limit I'd probably say the BIC F-12 if you can up it to $300 then the BIC Acoustech PL-200 and then in the future if you want to upgrade you could also buy a second identical sub.

You spend $200 on a sub now because that's all you can afford now. Entering the subwoofer world with a $200 subwoofer is a good idea. Not everyone will become obsessed with bass, so no need to take out a loan to buy something you may never need.

Also, buying a $200 sub and upgrading a year later to a $500 sub is perfectly fine also. Because you can sell that $200 sub for $120. Essentially paying $80 to have decent bass for a year.

post #8 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate your opinions as far as spending is concerned and I understand both viewpoints. I ended up buying the JBL SUB150P for $150 shipped from Newegg. I figure the price is great and I can probably sell it for close to that if I decide to upgrade. It will arrive today so I'll let you all know what I think of it.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
I'd be curious to here what you think of the JBL once you get it.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #10 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and looking for help buying my first sub. I think I have narrowed it down to the Polk PSW505, BIC F12, or the JBL SUB150P. Obviously I am in the $200 price range based on these choices.

I will use it for 60% music and 40% movies. I like all genres of music and want something that will be tight and crisp for jazz bass runs and still powerful enough for movies. I'm not looking to blow my roof off or piss off my neighbors, just something loud enough to enjoy. I will be running it with small JBL satellites for now but will probably upgrade in the near future.

Also, I just found a Velodyne 3750r on craigslist for $200 as well. Not sure about buying a used sub but I've heard good things about Velodyne.

I've had the BIC F-12 for a year now and love it. Very happy with the purchase. Could not see myself needing anything more expensive. Sounds great. Only have the volume on 3 andmit fills my house with great bass.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk HD

Samsung HL-67A750A1F | Pioneer VSX-1121-K | Energy Take Classic 5.0 | BIC America F12 | Xbox 360 Windows Media Center 7 | Belkin PureAV PF30
post #11 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Oh and my room is the same size as yours.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk HD

Samsung HL-67A750A1F | Pioneer VSX-1121-K | Energy Take Classic 5.0 | BIC America F12 | Xbox 360 Windows Media Center 7 | Belkin PureAV PF30
post #12 of 15 Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I received the JBL Sub150P on thursday and promptly set it up. It was well packaged and is very heavy. I have it hooked up through the LFE output of my Onkyo receiver. I have to say that compared to the old 8" sub that I replaced, it sounds absolutely great. I have listened to many styles of music and found that the sub recreates low frequency bass lines very precisely and with no perceptible noise. I have watched one movie with THX with my wife and we both agreed it was like a whole new experience. Every scene came to life with the full sound that we were missing. I currently have the sub set at 50% volume and it is plenty loud. When it hits really low I can feel it all the way in my chest. I would say it very adequately fills my room with sound. All in all, at this point I am very satisfied with my purchase. I would love to compare it side by side with the other options to really hear the difference but I won't have that opportunity. Even so, I have no regrets about this purchase.

Now, I would like to replace the center channel and front speakers from the current satellites that I have. But that will have to wait for more funds to come in smile.gif.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
If the sub is creating bass lines in music very precisely and it has plenty of output for HT, I'd say you got an excellent deal for a sub for $150. Getting clean sounding bass in the <$200 range is not easy to do.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #14 of 15 Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the JBL SUB150P that I mentioned. I realize that it is relatively new but I can get it for $150. And perhaps if it is a good option I can double up later on and still be under $300.

I am pretty firm on the budget right now but I am open to spending more in the future if I get sucked in to this hobby (likely).

Careful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

+1

Dangerous, indeed. My initial sub budget was $500. After leveling up on 5 different occasions, I think I'm over 10x that now... To each their own, but as flick mentioned, being "open to spend more" is like a gateway drug. It would be in your wallet and your wife's best interest to stop whatever research you are doing, enjoy your new gear and just be content.

Quote:

I received the JBL Sub150P on thursday and promptly set it up. It was well packaged and is very heavy. I have it hooked up through the LFE output of my Onkyo receiver. I have to say that compared to the old 8" sub that I replaced, it sounds absolutely great. I have listened to many styles of music and found that the sub recreates low frequency bass lines very precisely and with no perceptible noise. I have watched one movie with THX with my wife and we both agreed it was like a whole new experience. Every scene came to life with the full sound that we were missing. I currently have the sub set at 50% volume and it is plenty loud. When it hits really low I can feel it all the way in my chest. I would say it very adequately fills my room with sound. All in all, at this point I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Great to hear!
Walk away from this forum right now...

Quote:

I would love to compare it side by side with the other options to really hear the difference but I won't have that opportunity. Even so, I have no regrets about this purchase.

Careful…careful…! The last thing you want to do is compare it side-by-side with anything else. If it makes you happy now, just leave it as is. Walk away buddy… just walk away.

Quote:

Now, I would like to replace the center channel and front speakers from the current satellites that I have. But that will have to wait for more funds to come in smile.gif.

Who am I trying to kid… You sound like you are already well on your way to being hooked…lol
post #15 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
In the spirit of Popalock's theme, I will plug my new system in, smile, and stop reading this particular sub-forum assuming I'm happy w/ the sound.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page