Audyssey VS SPL Meter??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I got a new Klipsch RW-12D with the idea of replacing my Klipsch Sub10. I got my RW-12D and I had an extra RCA cord so I set them both up. I got them both dialed with Audyssey ( Dennon 1613 with Audyssey Multeq) and I was disappointed with the bass I was getting. I got a spl meter from Radio Shack and I got 75 on all speakers, but I was only getting 62 on my subs. I played with increasing the subs gain (I know, I'm going to Audyssey hell) and I got both subs to get up to 80db at the main listening position. Should I go with Audyssey's settings or should I go with SPL meter's settings to get the best overall sound and the cleanest bass possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
very unlikely the audyssey mic is significantly "off" in the bass. Depending on the setting you use the Radio Shack meter intentionally either rolls off a fair amount (C weighting) or dang near all (A weighting) the bass so it's a litttle hard to trust . . .

If you don't listen hugely loud, then bass will appear shy because of the equal loudness curves (google 'em). Audyssey's fix for that is Dynamic EQ which at least in theory can provide better "'correction" than simply turning up the sub. But see the Audyssey thread for good info on the "tricks" to use DEQ with music, and the reasons we have to use those tricks). The setup guide and the FAQ are linkesd all over the thread and are chock full of valuable info distilled from the input of Audyssey's own CTO as well as the blood sweat and gratuitous cursing of many members (well, at least me) as they learned to use the system to its best.

And, FTR, a goodly number of folks around here run their subs on the hot side. None has been condemned to any torture or undue heat (although those in the NE might like a little undue heat right about now).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page