With setting sub crossover at 60hz - 80hz which is more important: 30hz and above or 30hz and below? HT / Music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Title pretty much summs it up. I am looking at different subs and was wondering what numbers I should focus on for music / HT. Outboot from 30hz to 60hz or output from 30hz to say 14-16hz? I am not sure how the human ear operates here or about room pressure and subsonic sounds.

With setting sub cross over at 60hz which is more important 30hz and above or 30hz and below?

Help again please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Ideally, flat from 14Hz to crossover. smile.gif

Personally, I'd trade more output over 30Hz in order to get good output below 30 - and below 20 - Hertz.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Ideally, flat from 14Hz to crossover. smile.gif

And I'd like some apple pie with that order. tongue.gif

My understanding, >30Hz for music and humans can hear down to 20Hz but some are able to hear lower and not everybody is hearing just harmonics. Infrasonics is where the rumble is at but the 30Hz to 80Hz is where the mid-impact bass is felt.

Like eljaycanuck posted, flat from 14Hz to crossover is definitely nice for both Home Theater and music.

As to which numbers to focus on, that's going depend on your budget as the lower one expects to get out of their system, the more they're going have to spend as in the end, it's always about lots and lots of Benjamins.

The best way to figure out your subwoofer needs is to set a budget, double it and then quickly come to the conclusion that you're going need to increase your budget by that much more. wink.gif

-
post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I agree with eljay.

30Hz to 60Hz bass is smile.gif

14Hz to 30Hz bass is eek.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif

post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I wanted both. All of this depends on budget. If I had to pick one, I would say focus on bass above 30hz as that is where the most bass is. If you budget is limited, I would focus on getting the biggest baddest sub I could with the expectations of adding a second one. You can always add more subs to increase output, but if your sub is not capable of producing strong output below 30hz, well, there is no easy cure for that.

$1K or so will buy you a really good sub that should be able to give you both, or at least, a good foundation in which to add a second (or more). Once you get into multiples, you will want to invest about $100 in a good microphone to measure your room and dial the subs in, and ideally, you would want to do this even with the single sub.

You have to take into account the room as well as that will also help dictate ported vs sealed, and budget. The bigger the room, the more you should plan on spending. Trust me, I had over 6000 cu sq ft to deal with and finally determined that DIY was the only way to go as I could not justify $3-4K or so in subs with three young kids and rising costs for just about everything. $1K gave me the output and extension of about 3 $1000-1500 priced ID subs.

Also, your mains will dictate how low you can effectively cross them over. I have found many manufacturers to be quite liberal with their specs...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page