post #32 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

I was quoting Boondock Saints :P

Sorry, missed the tie in (and the quote) as that was a fun movie. I can't say which scene/skit was the best skit of the movie.

Here's my nomination as in my opinion, this clip sequence sums up the overall attitude of the movie.

-
post #33 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 230

Not to get back on track or anything, but don't forget to check these suggested online suppliers for B-stock units. They're usually great bargains.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #34 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Okay I am just trying to catch up and have skimmed much of the back and forth. I have an Omnimic kit so that is not an issue, we can use that to set up his system. So what are the best choices for $1000 or less, either one or two subs. If he goes one sub phase control may not be important (assuming the Onlyo does distance) but for two yes. I don't own any exotic subs but my Def Tech was $1200 list 20 years ago and my Optimum 12 runs about $1700 now. Point, I don't know what the "value but still very good" options are for subs which is why I ask for recommendations.

I will try to get some room measurements but just a couch and two chairs in an open area.

Thanks, Jim

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #35 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Hsu VTF 3.4
Hsu VTF15
PSA XV15
PSA XS30
Rythmik E15/F15

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #36 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Okay I am just trying to catch up and have skimmed much of the back and forth. I have an Omnimic kit so that is not an issue, we can use that to set up his system. So what are the best choices for $1000 or less, either one or two subs. If he goes one sub phase control may not be important (assuming the Onlyo does distance) but for two yes. I don't own any exotic subs but my Def Tech was $1200 list 20 years ago and my Optimum 12 runs about $1700 now. Point, I don't know what the "value but still very good" options are for subs which is why I ask for recommendations.

I will try to get some room measurements but just a couch and two chairs in an open area.

Thanks, Jim

The room measurements will dictate what type of sub and how much money you are looking at. Also find out if it is in a sealed room or open to other room, and if open to other rooms, you need to add the square footage off all those room together. Length x Width x Height to get the total cu sq footage.

Otherwise we are just guessing.
post #37 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

The room measurements will dictate what type of sub and how much money you are looking at. Also find out if it is in a sealed room or open to other room, and if open to other rooms, you need to add the square footage off all those room together. Length x Width x Height to get the total cu sq footage.

Otherwise we are just guessing.
Point taken! I have a DefTech Powerfileld 1500 that has worked well in larger rooms. I am not sure my Optimum 12 would have done as well in a large area.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #38 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Beeman stop, just stop...please. You contradict yourself all the time and you have to remember that a lot of people here are just looking for a recommendation on a good ID sub. You have to go deep into the rabbit hole to give a **** about rew/omnimic/xtz etc... I know you 'think' that someone cannot enjoy their sub if they dont measure their room, but that's just not true. You remind me of the guy that got kicked out of the Energy thread talking about POWER and SONIC NIRVANA and another dude commsysman. Its apparent that you still have a lot to learn and there are people here that are trying to help you, but you insist on spewing bad information. Why? I have a lot more to say, but I'll refrain. Maybe another forum would better suit you.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #39 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
So what are the best choices for $1000 or less, either one or two subs.
IMO:
- One sub: PSA XV-15 ($799, shipped)
- Two subs: Dual SVS PB-1000s ($949, shipped)
post #40 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Okay I am just trying to catch up and have skimmed much of the back and forth. I have an Omnimic kit so that is not an issue, we can use that to set up his system. So what are the best choices for $1000 or less, either one or two subs.
Sorry for the small rant above OP, back to your question. For $799 the PSA xv15 looks very promising. For just over $1000 the Hsu 15h and for $1149 the PSA xs30 also looks promising and I don't think anyone would argue with those recommendations. As far as going duels you won't find subs at the price that will dig as deep or have the head room and the option would be open in the future to add a second so go as big as budget allows now IMO.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #41 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 97
If your up to it, a good way to find out if he would benefit with two subs is to take one of your subs over to his place and the omnimic and do some testing. This way you guys could also get an estimate on his room compared to yours and how much output he is wanting.

Problem is if he gets one of these ~$700+ Internet Direct subs (or a couple) recommended here and compare with yours, you might be thinking about an upgrade. biggrin.gif I did a quick search on here and they have been mentioned a few times before.
post #42 of 44 Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

Beeman stop, just stop...please. You contradict yourself all the time and you have to remember that a lot of people here are just looking for a recommendation on a good ID sub. You have to go deep into the rabbit hole to give a **** about rew/omnimic/xtz etc... I know you 'think' that someone cannot enjoy their sub if they dont measure their room, but that's just not true. You remind me of the guy that got kicked out of the Energy thread talking about POWER and SONIC NIRVANA and another dude commsysman. Its apparent that you still have a lot to learn and there are people here that are trying to help you, but you insist on spewing bad information. Why? I have a lot more to say, but I'll refrain. Maybe another forum would better suit you.

I love those two guys! biggrin.gif

As for the OP, I've never heard the XV15 but I've had one of Tom's older sub designs and it was phenomenal. I'm sure the XV15 will deliver (especially at that price I think it's a steal) . The only better bang for your buck would be flat packs+ a 15 inch driver (Daytons or if you have the budget an LMS-R). The other sub I'd recommend too, while pricer than the XV15, would be the Rythmik F15 or E15. Heard them in a dual set up and thought they were one of the best sounding subs I've heard (Disclaimer: Audio is SUBJECTIVE). (I've heard Outlaw LFM-1 EXs, all the HSU models except the STFs, LMS5400 Ultras, SVS 16-46ci's, SVS PB12nsd, few of the 15inch velodynes, and some ..martin logan subs)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #43 of 44 Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some great options! A higher quality single 15" sub may be the best option (still owe room dimensions) as they could always add a matching sub down the road if desired.

Thanks for the suggestions, and please provide more if you know of any gems that have been left out. I will try to summarize when I get time on my laptop.

post #44 of 44 Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Or for duels how about the revamped FV12 from Rythmik the LV12R? Just throwing it out there...

Jeff
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page