How Hot Is Too Hot? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've read way too much on Avsforum and now I am confused. I got my two subwoofers dialed in to -2 on Audyssey. I tested my speakers with my spl meter and my pink noise on my Denon 1613 volume is at 80db. I've read that Audyssey sets the volume at -3 db on the speakers and all my speakers at at 77db.

My Klipsch RW-12D volume is at -17db and my Klipsch Sub10 is one notch below 1. I did the gain control and both of them combined are at 77db. If I turn my subwoofer level to +0, I get to 80db. +2, I get 82 db and when I go to +4, I'm at 85db.

Here is where my too much reading causes me confusion. I read on one post that 85 is ideal with a sub and then again, I've read that you should keep your sub at the same db as your speakers.

With those who have spl meters, how hot do you keep your sub? I'm confused, how hot is too hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
I set mine for 78dB before running Audyssey which set the avr to -.5 for the sub(s....three total). Then depending what I'm watching and how loud I go up to as much as 4.5 on the sub level setting (which I can do with the remote easily enough with it's quick menu). Since the avr resets from the quick selection each time I turn it off, it starts at that -.5 setting and usually I leave it there but some stuff just needs more bass. It's up to you how much bass you want, but if you're worried about damage from driving them too hard, well you just have to be careful smile.gif

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
There is a long going thread on this already.

A lot of factors influence settings.

How capable of a sub do you have?
How far below reference do you listen?
Do you listen to mainly music or movies?
Etc.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Old 02-16-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I set mine for 78dB before running Audyssey which set the avr to -.5 for the sub(s....three total). Then depending what I'm watching and how loud I go up to as much as 4.5 on the sub level setting (which I can do with the remote easily enough with it's quick menu). Since the avr resets from the quick selection each time I turn it off, it starts at that -.5 setting and usually I leave it there but some stuff just needs more bass. It's up to you how much bass you want, but if you're worried about damage from driving them too hard, well you just have to be careful smile.gif[/quote

You are just decreasing the preamp signal. This does not give you more headroom as far as the sub amp. Turning the sub up to much in the avr can also cause phase issues and take the system out of balance. If you need more bass or subsonic effect, you need a different sub.
ADDUpstate likes this.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I set mine for 78dB before running Audyssey which set the avr to -.5 for the sub(s....three total). Then depending what I'm watching and how loud I go up to as much as 4.5 on the sub level setting (which I can do with the remote easily enough with it's quick menu). Since the avr resets from the quick selection each time I turn it off, it starts at that -.5 setting and usually I leave it there but some stuff just needs more bass. It's up to you how much bass you want, but if you're worried about damage from driving them too hard, well you just have to be careful smile.gif[/quote

You are just decreasing the preamp signal. This does not give you more headroom as far as the sub amp. Turning the sub up to much in the avr can also cause phase issues and take the system out of balance. If you need more bass or subsonic effect, you need a different sub.

Actually I'm increasing the preamp signal. It's just quick and easy way to get more bass depending on material and listening volume. Not aware how that would affect phase as I'm not changing distance settings. I didn't say it gives you more headroom. It also tweaks the FR and takes it out of balance in that respect. What I need for my subs is a smaller sealed room smile.gif but that's not going to happen soon. Maybe not the ideal setup, but the three subs are what they are for now, and works quite well for me, especially for just running Audyssey which in and of itself isn't necessarily doing the best setup. So, how hot do you think the OP should run his subs? How hot is too hot for you? How did you setup your subs?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i also have denon and use audessy. i have two 12 inch subs (5.2 system). the subs' volume are dialed to midpoint (as suggested by their maker). the audessy will take over from here by calibrating/equalizing all the speakers by taking into account the physical make up of the room (size, carpet, couch, cabinets, walls, etc) and how far you are from the speakers (listening position). then (this is where individual preferences matter--less bass/more bass, mids, highs, etc), you will adjust the level of the front, center, surrounds and the bass (via denon recever) until you feel the right amount of bass, mids, high, front, center, surrounds. the audessy is there to calibrate and equalize all the speakers but it does not know individual preferences. this is akin to having automatic camera. it will set everything to (hopefully) take good pictures but it does not guarantee you will like the result. so it's time to learn to override the automaitc system by learning manual (not auto) operation. the more you learn about your system, the better and more knowledgeable you become as far as your taste goes. some people like darker pictures, some brighter, some like it sepia, some vivid colors, etc.