can Audyssey and room size help a budget sub be more musical - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As i mentioned in another thread i am all over the place trying to decide on a sub. I really would like a SVS SB1000 for a number of reasons but my budget may only allow something like the Bic F12.
I am using the sub in a 12x11x8 bedroom and the only placement would be against a wall partially obstructed by a desk. I use it 50/50 music(classic rock) and movies but consider the music to be my primary choice for quality. I read all the threads here and realize subs in the price range are not usually considered musical.

I have a Denon 1712 which has Audyssey MultEQ XT. Assuming I buy the F12 I would be keeping the sub at the lower end of its volume mainly because of the room size.
Will these factors help make the sub more musical . Maybe I should be looking for a smaller 10" sub instead of a 12"

I am afraid my budget will be stuck around the $200 mark but if I somehow miraculously can go higher I would look at the Hsu STF-2 ($375 shipped) or the SVS SB1000 ($535 shipped- includes tax for NJ) I realize a lot of people recommend the Klipsch RW-12D from Newegg for this budget range but tax in NJ puts this at $320 and I believe Newegg charges a restocking fee so I will stick with Amazon or an ID company.

Thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

I read all the threads here and realize subs in the price range are not usually considered musical.
What is the definition of 'musical'? I've never understood how or why people apply that term to speakers. What speakers aren't intended for music? Those for listening to Morse Code?rolleyes.gif

FWIW, music content doesn't go as low as HT, by roughly an octave, so the size requirements for subs intended for listening to music only are substantially less than those for HT.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

What is the definition of 'musical'? I've never understood how or why people apply that term to speakers. What speakers aren't intended for music? Those for listening to Morse Code?rolleyes.gif

FWIW, music content doesn't go as low as HT, by roughly an octave, so the size requirements for subs intended for listening to music only are substantially less than those for HT.

I am not sure if you are really asking me or are just joking. You seem to have a lot more experience than me based on number of posts. The only sub I ever owned was part of a Yamaha set that cost $99 for all 6 pieces of the 5.1. My new speakers are the new Pioneer bs-22 and c22 for the fronts with the old Yamahas for the rear. You can obviously tell I am a novice concerning HT

I have been reading reviews from the likes of Josh Ricci and Jim Wilson who both seem to be highly regarded around here for subwoofer reviews. I have seen them talk about movies and music so there must be a difference in the performence of a sub for music vs movies. Actually, just about any sub review I have read has mentioned performence of movies and music.
My basic understanding based on what I have read is that a musical sub would be able to have the woofer recover quickly like for fast drum beats as opposed to the lingering rumble of an explosion in a movie. And I have seen what you mentioned about music not going as low and I am willing to give up the low end for the clarity

I don't plan on listening in morse code wink.gif so I guess I will keep reading other threads to try and find my answer.
Thank you
post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:

My basic understanding based on what I have read is that a musical sub would be able to have the woofer recover quickly like for fast drum beats as opposed to the lingering rumble of an explosion in a movie.
The notion that subs made for music recover more quickly than those made for HT is false. For that matter I'm not aware of any company that specifically makes subs for music. Some subs go lower than others, which makes some subs more appropriate for users who need them to go lower, which is to say HT. Some subs just plain don't sound good, no matter what the usage, and by the same token some sound great, no matter what the usage. But to say that a certain sub sounds good for HT but not for music IMO makes no sense. Accurate response is accurate response, whether you listen to the bottom octave or not.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

Thanks for any input

Yes, but only in the sense of a properly dialed in sound reproduction system will make anything sound better than a poorly integrated system.

One "MUST" take into consideration the quality of the drivers used in any speaker enclosure and like any endeavor, in answering questions of this kind, one must consider the level of listening sophistication one might have.

In the short, a great bottle of wine is wasted on someone who hasn't an understanding of what they're consuming. That sort of thing and with that in mind, I keep my wine purchases in the <$20 level and that way I won't be accused of not respecting the grape that gave it's life so I could partake.

-
post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 PM

I have a Outlaw M8 subwoofer in my bedroom and it sounds amazing, use it for 40% music and 60% computer games. It's a great budget sub at $249.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
if your going up in budget, check out this subwoofer from Rythmik, Their designed to be accurate and tight which is very good for music reproduction

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page