Dayton sub 1200 vs Acoustic Audio (Build Quality and Extension) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I was set on a Dayton sub 1200 as the only good budget sub i could ship to atlantic Canada, then i found various Acoustic Audio subwoofers (downfiring poly and front firing kevlar) on Amazon.ca shipping from the states for around 40$.

I have seen the thread over on the bluray forum where people swear by Acoustic Audio subs with nary a bad word to be found, but i have also read a few reviews on amazon where people have opened up the Acoustic Audio subs and found a small speaker magnet and parts that could only hope to push 100 watts.

On the Dayton side i have yet to find a bad review from an educated buyer that isn't trying to put a home sub in their car biggrin.gif

Putting Sound quality and spec sheets aside, has anyone actually peeked inside the Acoustic audio subwoofers? The 15" AA subs get the worst reviews on amazon so maybe they aren't using the parts they should be to drive the speakers in the larger subs?

Dayton audio seems to be much less of a mystery as far as what goes into them but the cone material and spec sheets on the AA subs are tempting if someone knows what goes into them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cant comment on acoustic audio but I do own a Dayton sub and it has been amazing. It parts are sourced from the drives and amps they sell individually. So you can read individual review about the driver and amp so you know what your getting. The one I built is closest to this one.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-770

The only difference is that I put the driver in a larger enclosure for better match of "fs" to the cabinet.

I personally would not buy a sub with out detail pics of the driver/amp/enclosure build to avoid surprises.

Pic of my dayton 15"
post #3 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Diy will definetly be next in line for me, but right now i'm lazy and i think i definetly need to give the Daytons a try, worst case scenario i could sell it for pretty well what i paid based on the specs and shining reviews.

That's a nice looking sub by the way, did you build the box or buy the box and parts seperately?
If buying a kit or seperate parts falls around the 300$ price range for a quality 15" sub, i may just wait until i have 300$ kickin around.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. It was a build where I got most items from parts express and the rest from local stores because it cheaper. Its also my first build so I also had to buy some tools. Its cheaper to buy they kit than to build an enclosure.

There is a lot more into building an enclosure than I originally thought... its the little things that make it expensive

ie

get modeling software for the "ts parameter" of the driver
http://www.ht-audio.com/pages/BassBoxPro.html

buying a good port with dual flanges
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=268-352

getting heavy duty rubber feet
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=248-8786

"sealing" mdf before it can get painted.

Gasket between the driver and enclosure.

buying "stuffing" poly-fill from arts and craft store

if you decide to build an grill than the magnets for the frame and heavy duty fabric

and so on....
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

I have seen the thread over on the bluray forum where people swear by Acoustic Audio subs with nary a bad word to be found, but i have also read a few reviews on amazon where people have opened up the Acoustic Audio subs and found a small speaker magnet and parts that could only hope to push 100 watts.

You should probably examine that thread on blu-ray a little closer, because there are a lot of folks ticked off at AA. They foisted a bad batch of amps on people and then bailed on the warranty, leaving quite a few high and dry. If those are your two choices I would go with the Dayton 10 times out of 10.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 7 Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
+1

I looked into Acoustic Audio a couple of years ago. Thought it could be a good choice for a cheap computer desktop audio setup. Seems a lot of hype at blu-ray forum about them, and both the quality and the customer service does seem very questionable. Their low cost would be offset by what you have to pay to return ship if something was wrong. It's also kind of weird to me that they offer all these different variations in budget subs, instead of having just a few models and doing it right. It's almost like, "Look! We found another cheap amp and driver we can sell. Let's put in a box and create another model!" LOL

The Dayton subs, on the other hand, have always good solid testimonials from users, and I'd much prefer to buy from Parts Express. That definitely seems the safe bet.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 7 Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah i'm thinking of holding off until i can afford a decent 15-18" dayton kit. The only problem is the lack of places like partsexpress in canada.
I'm also curious what makes a sub "musical" vs suitable for home theater is it directly related to performance at higher or lower frequencies or due to the time it takes for the sub to stop producing sound when the signal drops (some subs seem to blend notes into a muddy mess for one reason or another).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page