8" sub options? Will Energy ESW-C8 be overpowered by my 130wpc Yamaha RX-V1900? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the best all around 8"-10", 200-300watt sub for $500 or less? Preferably about a 14" cube, front-firing. Room is small-medium, around 250sq ft.

I have a Klipsch Synergy 5.1 setup with SF-1 tower fronts (single 6.5 woofer each), SC-1 center (dual 5.25's), and 2 Klipsch Quintet II satellites for rears (3.5 drivers).
The SF-1's are generously rated down to 40Hz.
I have been running a 9yr old Polk PSW-350 (rear-ported,front firing,10" 100 watts RMS).

The Polk was a decent choice for my first sub but kind of boomy and loud when turned up without ultimately playing all that deep (It is rated down to 25Hz but I haven't heard it). Feels like it gets me down into the mid 30's Hz but not tight enough for my musical tastes, and that's not deep enough for full-range HT anyway. I suppose placement could have been better optimized but my options were limited in my NYC apartment. My usage is about 50/50 music/HT.

I want to feel some bass presence and effects during blu-ray screenings, of course, but I don't need the room to shake. I always thought a good 8" might perform better in my space for my application.

My goal is to somehow (haha) reduce the footprint of my sub, with it playing cleaner and tighter, and as deep or deeper, but not necessarily louder.
Many have recommended the SVS SB-1000, which at $499 would not be out of the question budget-wise. But I think it's just more sound than I need.

I liked the Energy ESW-C8 sub when I heard it at Best Buy. I felt the 10" version was just too loud for my small-medium apartment setup (15x12 plus open alcove office, total approx. 250sq ft).
I also preferred the sound of the Energy 8" (price match to $215!) to the more powerful and almost twice as pricey Definitive ProSub 800 ($399). The DefTech had a boominess that I want to avoid, especially if I'm sacrificing low frequency response for a smaller footprint by stepping down from a 10".

Is my Yamaha 130wpc reciever too much for the 60 watt RMS of the Energy ESW-C8?

Should I just step up to the Energy 10" at $350 and set the gain low? That unit is only rated down to 32Hz, compared to the SVS SB-1000 down to 24Hz in a similar footprint for $150 more.
If I need the Energy 10" over the 8", I might as well spring for the SVS SB-1000 and be capable of full range bass. I'm not going to be able to play any sub loudly for a sustained amount of time. I can't help but think that either of these more powerful units will just be wasted wattage in my room.

Any thoughts on 8" subs, and recommendations at or below $500?
Or a 10" at around 200-300watts RMS that will play clean and tight?

Why do I feel you're all going to say to go for the SVS SB-1000 and set the gain low?

Thanks!

Yamaha RX-V675
Klipsch SF-1 x2
Klipsch SC-1
Klipsch Quintet II satellite x2 side surrounds
Panasonic TC-P50ST60
Panasonic BDP-230
XBOX 360
Apple TV 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just go for th SVS SB1000 and be done with it. Its small, tight, and will dig down low when you need it to. Why settle for less? smile.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
A simple rule of thumb is that a sub enclosure must be at least twice the internal volume as both of your L/R mains combined, powered by at least twice the watts to keep up. That's because subs have to deal with wavelengths up to 60 feet long, while mains only have to deal with wavelengths up to 14 feet long, and the size of the box and power required is directly related to the wavelengths produced.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

A simple rule of thumb is that a sub enclosure must be at least twice the internal volume as both of your L/R mains combined, powered by at least twice the watts to keep up. That's because subs have to deal with wavelengths up to 60 feet long, while mains only have to deal with wavelengths up to 14 feet long, and the size of the box and power required is directly related to the wavelengths produced.

I've got Klipschorn mains - that would be one BIG-A** sub! biggrin.gif

I guess you can't really count the folded horn as "volume" though. tongue.gif

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 + MiniDSP 2x4
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks kesando, I'm leaning towards the SVS, especially over the $350 10" Energy. Still wondering if the 8" Energy at $215 will satisfy in my space, but I'm inclined to agree with you.
The SVS will be so much more versatile and $500 seems fair.

Yamaha RX-V675
Klipsch SF-1 x2
Klipsch SC-1
Klipsch Quintet II satellite x2 side surrounds
Panasonic TC-P50ST60
Panasonic BDP-230
XBOX 360
Apple TV 2
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I've got Klipschorn mains - that would be one BIG-A** sub! biggrin.gif
To keep up with them at full output, yes. It would take four of my THT folded horns, at 18 plus cubic feet each. But unless you want to literally bring the house down around you two would be sufficient. biggrin.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Liked: 15
You should take a look at the Jamo sub 360. It is on amazon for around $300 and has a 10" driver. Amazon also has the 260 which has an 8" driver for around $230

-Ben
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Yamaha Rx V1900 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V1900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page