need help to choose a subwoofer... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi every1 , i am currently shopping for a subwoofer ... ive been looking auround .. and found by reading forum and searching net about Svs , Rythmik , Hsu ...

its going to be one of those 3 brand for sure , but not sure what sub to go for ...

i like big bass .. by big , i dont mean soft and boomy , i mean big tight presice bass that u can feel !

the fv15hp was my first choice until i found out it would cost me 300+$ shipping + another 500+$ for Brokerage and tax....so it end to cost 1800$ to have it shipping to canada ( montreal )

so i finaly started to ask myself if i needed that much of a BIG sub ... maybe 2 pb-1000 would be good .. but im scared to buy them and not being happy ...

im actualy scared to buy smaller sub also since i might move place soon and not sure what my HT room size will be ...

the pb12-plus would be a bit cheaper. 1500$ all included ... big difference between pb12-plus and pb12-nsd ?

anyway feel free to comment / tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
i like ... big tight presice bass that u can feel ! ... the fv15hp was my first choice until i found out it would cost me ... 1800$ to have it shipping to canada ( montreal )

so i finaly started to ask myself if i needed that much of a BIG sub ... maybe 2 pb-1000 would be good .. but im scared to buy them and not being happy ... im actualy scared to buy smaller sub also since i might move place soon and not sure what my HT room size will be ... the pb12-plus would be a bit cheaper. 1500$ all included ...

anyway feel free to comment / tips

How big is your current HT space (l x w x h)? How big do you think your new HT space might be?

If you're scared that two PB-1000s won't be enough, don't buy two PB-1000s.

Since you're considering a PB12-Plus, maybe a single PB12-NSD now and a second later might do the trick. (The PB12-NSD is a very well-rated "budget" sub.) Or if the option is there, a single PB12-Plus now and another one later.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

is the difference big between the pb12-nsd and the pb12-plus ?

not even sure if i should go sealed or ported...

my room actualy is like 20x12x8 ... dont think my new home HT room will be anything over 3000-3500cu ft
post #4 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

My basement HT space is ~30' x 15' x 7.5' = ~3,375 cu.ft. I used to run an older, BASH-powered PB12-NSD and I felt that I could have used a second one. But I think two newer PB12-NSDs in your space would be pretty solid. Two PB12-Pluses (more output, better extension) would be awesome. cool.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

well i am almost tempted to buy that fv15hp .. but im wondering if a smaller or less strong if i can say , sub could do same job as a fv15hp since my room is not that large ...

does a strong sub do the same as a medium sub in a small room ? the extra power from the big sub is good just to fill big room or u can tell a difference ?

ill call my retailed near where i live how much would cost me a signature sub 12 from paradigm .. its sealed tho ...( i kinda like the way ported go low in hz )
post #6 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
The FV15HP has the output of the PB13 Ultra, and it will have way more power than a whole bunch of NSD or 1000 subs, seriously, get the FV15HP. Its still a bargain, even with the import fees. Another great option in Canada would be funk audio, and Funk 18.1, its more expensive, but it is gorgeous, and extremely powerful, the specs suggest it would easily blow past the FV15HP in output, I would give that sub a very hard look were I a Canadian.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Roughly speaking:
- A smaller sub can provide all the necessary output and extension in an "average" room that a larger sub can provide. The larger sub, however, will likely play louder and dig deeper (or dig as deep but with greater output at any given lower frequency).
- Dual subs will provide smoother frequency response (FR) at the listening position vs. a single sub. So, in some (many? most?) cases, two "lesser" subs may equal more than one "greater" sub.

Paradigm's Signature series has a SUB 1 and SUB 2. Their Studio series has a SUB 12 and SUB 15. Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on a SUB 12. I'd consider, among other options:
- a Seaton SubMersiveHP;
- single or dual Rythmik FV15HPs;
- single or dual SVS PB12-Plus; or
- single or dual PSA XS30s or XV15s.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

yea i meant studio sub 12 ... i cant spend more than 1800$ tbh ... 1800 is the max i would go. and i would buy that fv15hp ...

any1 could explain me the difference between ported ans sealed plz ? i know ported go lower in hz , but thats it ?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Roughly:
- a ported sub will have more output around its tuning frequency than a sealed sub will have around similar frequencies;
- a sealed sub rolls off more slowly than a ported sub, and may benefit more from room gain to extend lower than a ported sub;
- a sealed sub may have more output at higher frequencies than a ported sub; and
- very generally speaking, ported subs work better (provide more output) than comparably powered / sized sealed subs in larger rooms.

In your room, you'll be OK with either a powerful ported sub or a powerful sealed sub, or duals of either type.

IMO, and YMMV. smile.gif
post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

is it possible to mix them ? like 1 ported / 1 sealed. so u benefit best of each world ?

also , any difference between the sound of the pb12-plus and the pc12-plus ? anything diferent other than the cylinder type enclosure .
post #11 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoreborn View Post

is it possible to mix them ? like 1 ported / 1 sealed. so u benefit best of each world ?

also , any difference between the sound of the pb12-plus and the pc12-plus ? anything diferent other than the cylinder type enclosure .

to me the downside ofmixing ported and sealed subs is that in the range where the two subs both play, of course, their outputs add up to more than one sub would be alone. then after whichever rolls off highes in your room has roled off, the sub that still has strong output is lower than the sum of the two subs playing together. In other words, the deepest bass is likely to be a little low in SPL. What really happens depends so much on the room, though, that it's hard to predict how the 2 subs will work together.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

My basement HT space is ~30' x 15' x 7.5' = ~3,375 cu.ft. I used to run an older, BASH-powered PB12-NSD and I felt that I could have used a second one. But I think two newer PB12-NSDs in your space would be pretty solid. Two PB12-Pluses (more output, better extension) would be awesome. cool.gif

+1

I don't see how alternative options from HSU or Rythmik could beat this considering you can buy SVS from a Canadian distributor at a reasonable shipping and tax price: http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/. Two of the PB12-NSDs would be plenty of sub for a 3500 cubic ft room, and would be my choice over one bigger sub. Dual subs have the advantage of providing a smoother frequency response throughout the room. When you can get dual subs that have enough low frequency extension and enough max SPL, it's the better choice, IMO. Here's a review of the PB12-NSD: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page