$150 for a sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to throw together a budget 5.1 system. I'm looking at getting a refurb denon 1612, and need a sub to get the system started. I read the brand of the sub has little effect on the sound, unlike speakers. I was looking for a sub somewhere in the $150 price range. I've done some research and have read bad things about the polk psw10. Is there another sub that can be vouched for? Any advice will help, i'm quite new at this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The Dayton 12" sub is a good place to start.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629

Just curious. Is your budget flexible and if so how much?
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 AM

Liked: 801
As much as I love the idea of budget subwoofers, at a certain point, alone, the specifications of these budget subwoofers tell one they're better off putting their budget into more sensitive mains and center channel that can dig a bit deeper so one gets more mileage out of their amplifier.

Personally, I don't think this level subwoofer will give you what you're wanting. This level subwoofer would be a great add to speakers to improve their overall performance but not a good add if expecting true, stand alone subwoofer performance.

Again, I love the concept of budget subwoofers but these subs are spec'd at 40Hz and are improving on the mid-bass of the mains and center channel as opposed to being a "subwoofer" which is expected to improve on the bass track below that which the mains and center channels are able to reproduce. Just saying. When putting this budget system together, even though a budget system, look to the best mains and center channel you can budget for and later add a subwoofer that will improve on that what the mains and center channel are capable of reproducing.

If you must get a subwoofer, please, do consider upping your budget and consider a subwoofer like a Klipsch, RW-12d or a BIC, PL-200. Your ears will thank-you for doing so.

Agreeing with kesando's question when asking, is your budget flexible?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Mostly for music or movies? The Dayton is a good choice for theater. Imo, this would be just as good for movies and better than the Dayton for music.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882665157

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
I read the brand of the sub has little effect on the sound, unlike speakers.
The sub doesn't need to be "timbre-matched" to the speakers, but a poorly-designed, cheaply-made and/or underpowered sub can definitely have an effect on the overall sound of your system (bloated bass, unwanted resonance, etc.).

The PSW10 is a decent sub within its limitations (small to mid-sized rooms and/or moderate volume levels), and it can be had for dirt cheap. The Dayton mentioned by kesando appears to be a good choice for under $150. If you can get up into the $250-$300 range, you've got a lot more options, including the Polk PSW505 and the subs mentioned by BeeMan458.

IMO, save up for something better. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 AM

Liked: 15
You can get the JBL ES150 on amazon for $160. It sounds pretty good IMO.

-Ben
post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I realize your budget is $150, but if you have some flexibility, I got a BIC F12 subwoofer a few weeks ago from Amazon for $187 shipped. (It is up over $200 now but occasionally drops back down.) The F12 is working nicely in my budget home theater setup as a movie/gaming sub. The volume knob on my F12 is only set to 3 out of 10, but produces plenty of volume and very much enhances low end effects.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Every sub, no matter how small will likely cost around $75 to ship, so a $150 sub is really a $75 sub. If spending $200, you get a $125 sub. A much better return on investment. Of course my numbers are crude estimates, but you get the point.

Most people looking for an inexpensive sub, just want a basic thumping noise and every sub can do that. In my opinion, adding a sub will almost always sound better then no sub at the lower frequencies. Regardless of how low it plays. With proper placement and setup, even low cost subs can sound very good. I think you can find a decent sub for under $200. The bic mentioned above on sale at amazon would probably be my choice for under $200.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I could go up to $200. This system is mostly for movies and gaming. Not too concerned about the music part.

I saw this deal on newegg, any input on this. I realize the deal ends tonight.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780012

Thanks for the info so far, if I go up to $200, should I just wait until I find a good deal on a sub that is normally in the $250-$300 range?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beees View Post

I could go up to $200. This system is mostly for movies and gaming. Not too concerned about the music part.

I saw this deal on newegg, any input on this. I realize the deal ends tonight.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780012

Thanks for the info so far, if I go up to $200, should I just wait until I find a good deal on a sub that is normally in the $250-$300 range?
Of all the ones mentioned in this thread that would be the last one I would get. Just my opinion.
Yes, I would wait until you can afford $300 and get a Klipsch RW12-d on sale at Newegg for $299.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page