Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

That's always a personal call as to if something is worth something or not. So far, it reads as if this subwoofer has cost you a boatload of time and effort and at a certain time and point, one has to cut their losses and move forward with a new choice in subwoofer. My opinion, it's time to buy better.

Have you looked into purchasing a replacement Amp at Parts-Express? And if you have, were you able to find a solution regarding amplifier replacement?

Have you opened the subwoofer box up to look at the inside of the amplifier and see if the circuits are fried?

What other alternatives have you considered?

-

I looked up sub amps on Parts Express, but didn't see anything for outlaw. How do I know what is compatible? Will getting another brand amp affect the sound?

Haven't opened the box yet...maybe I'll try this weekend and see if anything is glaringly obvious.

I don't see many more options than repair or don't repair wink.gif but im open to suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoezz View Post

I looked up sub amps on Parts Express, but didn't see anything for outlaw. How do I know what is compatible? Will getting another brand amp affect the sound?

It's all compatible. In theory, based on what you've posted, you're going be pulling your amp and replacing it with another amplifier. A simple remove and replace. Where things go South is when you pull the one amplifier, finding another amplifier to fit in the same hole the old one came out of. You may have to enlarge the opening to fit the replacement amplifier.

If you're not adapt with tools, the above may not be a good recommendation and if you are or want become better skilled with tools, this is a good excuse to move forward on this idea.

Quote:
Haven't opened the box yet...maybe I'll try this weekend and see if anything is glaringly obvious.

Without doing this, one is going be completely in the dark. I say grab a screw driver and a beer and do it tonight. Nothing on the television so you won't be missing anything. tongue.gif

Quote:
I don't see many more options than repair or don't repair wink.gif but im open to suggestions

Use this as an excuse to upgrade to a better subwoofer and in the meantime, use this sub as a learning experience and see what you can do to get it up and going again. I just recently upgraded our existing subwoofers by replacing the drivers and the radiators. Cost the price of an inexpensive sub to do so but the gain in situational awareness made the expenditure well worth the price.

-
post #33 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

You need to understand the specs of the amp that is in the Outlaw. How many watts @ what impendance (ohm). You also need to know if there was a high pass filter on the amp to ensure you don't push the driver too hard.

Some amps have boost applied at PE as well, so you do need to becareful what you buy.

If you call Outlaw perhaps they can point you to a suitable replacement amp at PE.

Getting a new sub might make sense, but that depends on your budget. I doubt you can do much better than the cost to fix it, but could do better if you have about $300-500 burning a hole in your wallet.
post #34 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

That's always a personal call as to if something is worth something or not. So far, it reads as if this subwoofer has cost you a boatload of time and effort and at a certain time and point, one has to cut their losses and move forward with a new choice in subwoofer. My opinion, it's time to buy better.

Have you looked into purchasing a replacement Amp at Parts-Express? And if you have, were you able to find a solution regarding amplifier replacement?

Have you opened the subwoofer box up to look at the inside of the amplifier and see if the circuits are fried?

What other alternatives have you considered?

-

First, you advocated launching a class action suit, which is way more time consuming than changing out a fuse a couple of times and calling Outlaw, with little chance of accomplishing anything. Changing the fuse out is pretty easy to do. The OP probably spent as much time reading your lawsuit discussion rolleyes.gif

Now, you are suggesting switching out the amp with something from Parts Express as if it's an easy solution. Subwoofer plate amps come in different shapes and sizes. Finding a drop-in replacement that fits that enclosure correctly that is the right power output for that driver may not even be possible. Let's also not forget that the OP does not know what impedance the driver is.

So the best options seem to be, as have already been suggested, (a) get the amp fixed by Outlaw, (b) see if Outlaw has a replacement amp, or (c) ditch the subwoofer for parts and buy a new one.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #35 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

You need to understand the specs of the amp that is in the Outlaw. How many watts @ what impendance (ohm). You also need to know if there was a high pass filter on the amp to ensure you don't push the driver too hard.

Some amps have boost applied at PE as well, so you do need to becareful what you buy.

If you call Outlaw perhaps they can point you to a suitable replacement amp at PE.

Getting a new sub might make sense, but that depends on your budget. I doubt you can do much better than the cost to fix it, but could do better if you have about $300-500 burning a hole in your wallet.

Shoot. I should have refreshed the thread view before I hit submit. Ack_bk did an even better job saying why getting a Parts Express amp is not that easy smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #36 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The person with Outlaw confirmed via email that shipping is included in the $75 (whereas the person on the phone said shipping is $50 seperately). I think I'm going to go ahead with the repair since putting $75 towards a new sub wouldn't get me very far.

Thanks for the comments.

Makes sense to me. Should get a few more years out of it smile.gif
post #37 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

Thanks for the comments.

.....biggrin.gif
post #38 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Just to respond to some of the things said:

the sub is about 4 years old, which would put it outside warranty even if I was the original owner. I emailed outlaw to tell them my symptoms (last time I called) and ask if they replace the entire amp or just parts -- to which they replied in part:

"We normally repair these amplifier plates. Typical repair costs are $75.00, which includes parts and labor, plus round-trip shipping costs."

Anywho, back on topic. I paid $150 on the sub originally...is it worth another $75 - 125 investment to get her working again?

Too bad they'll likely repair instead of replace, but for $75 including shipping, I guess it makes sense. Outlaw was originally an amp seller, and still is, so I guess they know a thing or two about amp repair.
post #39 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Too bad they'll likely repair instead of replace, but for $75 including shipping, I guess it makes sense. Outlaw was originally an amp seller, and still is, so I guess they know a thing or two about amp repair.

The person misquoted and someone else followed up saying shipping is additional...im finding out how much, but if its $50 as the person I spoke to on the phone said, this situation gets cloudy again. Not sure it is worth that investment to me with only a 90 day warranty.
post #40 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott avs fan View Post

Flamming getting them to fix is a bad idea im telling you do you think they care about weather it performs they give you a 90day warranty yet if you bought a new product from them what would the warranty be also if the driver is stuffed they will most likely just chuck in a old no name brand piece of junk be carefull

So you're saying that Outlaw audio rips off repair customers? That's quite an interesting thing to hear. Please, can you tell us about the incidents on which you're basing this?

post #41 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I did not say that i just said that it seems funny if they fix your product that they would only give you a limited warrantey after all do they not support there fixes or there products it seems strange that they would supply a new amp wich i pressume comes with a factory warranty yet its only 90days well in this conutry it would be the same warranty as the new amp its self i did not say they rip off there coustomers but to give a new sub amp that they install on one of there own products a 90day warranty to me is strange 90days for a sub amp i mean come on even at 24hr a day use if i buy anything new i have atleast a 2 year warranty with it there fixing one of there products with one of there parts but this is my opioin its just mine to me it just seems like any company that would repair one of there products and give less of a warranty than if they bought a new product no matter what company it was i would go elsewhere just my opioin on that and i hoped that clarified it for you

If companies were to give me a new warranty for every repair...damn Samsung would hate me lol...4 times I had that panel replaced lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #42 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not say that i just said that it seems funny if they fix your product that they would only give you a limited warrantey after all do they not support there fixes or there products it seems strange that they would supply a new amp wich i pressume comes with a factory warranty yet its only 90days well in this conutry it would be the same warranty as the new amp its self i did not say they rip off there coustomers but to give a new sub amp that they install on one of there own products a 90day warranty to me is strange 90days for a sub amp i mean come on even at 24hr a day use if i buy anything new i have atleast a 2 year warranty with it there fixing one of there products with one of there parts but this is my opioin its just mine to me it just seems like any company that would repair one of there products and give less of a warranty than if they bought a new product no matter what company it was i would go elsewhere just my opioin on that and i hoped that clarified it for you

90days is pretty standard for most repairs. You might be able to buy an extended warranty either through Outlaw, or a third party warranty company like Warrentech or Squaretrade.
post #43 of 43 Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Say what?! A known defective fix is proprietary information? eek.gif

i usually only post in the Elemental Designs section.... but i have worked on plenty of Bash amps... and that is what that sub uses. no proprietary parts there.

it is not a known defect. period. that sub is old, and every design of electronics eventually ends up with a common issue.

if an old piece of electronics that is designed perfectly usually dies in 10 years with a common issue, that is because the part that failed is the weak link. there is a lot in electronics that have a limited lifespan.

lets just say that you have a resistor that burns up in a circuit at exactly 10 years, and everyones same product does the same... lets just say that the manufacturer beefed up that resistor in the first place, and in 10 years and one month, the transistor that that resistor served as a pull-up burned up, and that is the common issue.

as an engineer that designs circuits, i can tell you that it is impossible to design a circuit that everything fails at the same time. there is always a weak link. always.

now... if that sub was 6 months old, and it was a common failure, then your posting would be valid. they have a problem. however, that sub can be from 2007. 6 years is way too much for a class action lawsuit for electronics, and way past the warranty period. if you had a valid point after all those years, then every electronic company that ever existed would be out of business due to lawsuits.

including myself...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page