Recommend me a subwoofer - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 126 Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Its not your setup so much as $600 seems to be a point where subs begin to to reach a certain performance level. At that point, you get a respectable amount of output, bass to 20 hz, a flat frequency response, and very good sound quality ie non-boomy bass. The $600 subs are the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus, Rythmik FV12r, and Hsu VTF2 mk4. Below that you find compromises in some regard which you might find tolerable, but you will always know there are there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
What is it specifically about my setup that screams $600 subwoofer?
The part where you say "I think I'm overpowering my subwoofer, it's beginning to pop on me at some really bassy loud scenes ... " wink.gif

$500 will get you an SVS PB-1000. $600 will get you a couple of RW-12ds, or up into the subs shadyJ mentioned.

In either case, you'll realize the difference between a "lesser sub" and a good sub. smile.gif
post #123 of 126 Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Thanks for the input guys. What is it specifically about my setup that screams $600 subwoofer? Certainly not doubting you guys, I'm just curious basically how to match an ideal subwoofer given a certain setup.
I dont know but the best thing you could do for $600 is get 2 RW12s.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #124 of 126 Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

If you just want the most SPL for your money then the Outlaw is perhaps your best bet. You could place it in between your sectional in position #2 and use it as an end table. It also has a plexiglass top.

I'm seriously considering the Outlaw EX for my next sub, and it has been recommended to me in another thread. But I have a question about using it as an end table (I had heard this elsewhere as well). Is there any kind of problem actually using it as a functional end table? Like having beverages and the like on it (is that why it has a plexiglass top)? Does the placement of objects on it alter the sound at all, or are the vibrations a problem for the items placed on top?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the wireless kit Outlaw sells for their subs? Does the sound quality suffer at all?
post #125 of 126 Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 645
The plexiglass top on the Outlaw subs is not suitable for end table use. It's very, very scratch prone. You'd probably want to have a glass top cut and finished to set on top.

And yes. At very high volumes, it could be prone to some vibration.

That being said, at it's current sale price, the Outlaw EX is probably the best HT sub for the money for under $750. Since it seems like you have a lot of questions about it, the AVS outlaw owners thread would be a great place to get them answered: http://www.avsforum.com/t/848339/official-outlaw-owners-thread

post #126 of 126 Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I just got my lv12r and I'm really enjoying it. Very glad its ported for the extra output and the advanced servo design rythmik uses makes it very musical for being ported IMO. I would imagine it would give you plenty of quality output in your condo. IV cranked this sub pretty good(nothing I would call insane yet) and it handles eveythinkg with ease. I actually think this sub sounds best when its pushed a little bit or maybe better worded that's where it really shines. To take it another step, at moderately high volumes and times of high detailed and extrymly fast and or variable lfe this sub is almost gaurenteed to make u grin from ear to ear:D
Also I have never yet heard this sub distort or make any unpleasent sounds.

Yamaha rxv373

Ascend acoustics cbm 340se mains
Ascend acoustics 340se center
Ascend acoustics 170se rear SS

Rythmik lv12r
Dual rythmik fv15hps
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page