Help with broken Paradigm sub? (video) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Alright, so I just took a quick video to see if anyone has any idea on how to fix this sub. Here are the symptoms:
- Heartbeat (can be heard in the beginning of the video when there is no music, and happens even when the volume is all the way down, no RCAs plugged in, and LPF doesn't change anything either).
- When playing music, to get ANY output from the sub, the volume needs to be at least around half, and even then it only plays when there is a big bass hit
- When the sub does play the music, it sounds really bad.
- I feel like it's not just blown because it also does that heartbeat thing, or maybe it;s blown and there's another problem?

http://youtu.be/iiwyF0I8ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm for sure no expert but it sounds like the cone came apart. You can do 1 of 2 things (which I did) I sent it to my friend and he hot glued the cone back on. It worked fine after that for several months. The second which I also did, was to buy a new sub. I upgraded in a huge way by getting an Rythmik FV15. I should add that I had a Paradigm PS1200, sorry, I omitted that. That sub was at the least 12+ yrs. old.

Jeff
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 83
sjv ,

I had the same problem with my Paradigm Sub. I had it's amp repaired under warranty. Down the road it broke again, this time out of warranty. This time I took a peek behind the speaker cone and found that the bare wires from the back of the cone to the terminal board were intermittently touching together causing the amp to blow again. I talked to someone else with Paradigm Speakers and his receiver was shutting down. He ohmed out his speakers and found one shorted. I told him to take a peek behind the cone and there it was, the bare wires were touching. Things are good for him again.

So you may want to take a peek there too. I hope it's just shorted wires and not a blown amp. Good Luck !

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Edit
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

sjv ,

I had the same problem with my Paradigm Sub. I had it's amp repaired under warranty. Down the road it broke again, this time out of warranty. This time I took a peek behind the speaker cone and found that the bare wires from the back of the cone to the terminal board were intermittently touching together causing the amp to blow again. I talked to someone else with Paradigm Speakers and his receiver was shutting down. He ohmed out his speakers and found one shorted. I told him to take a peek behind the cone and there it was, the bare wires were touching. Things are good for him again.

So you may want to take a peek there too. I hope it's just shorted wires and not a blown amp. Good Luck !

That's interesting. To get access to the wires did you just take off the plate amp? I've done that before but I saw nothing wrong with it, but I also had no idea what to look for. Which connection exactly was loose?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Here is an update. I took the sub and the amp out of the box and hooked them up to power and RCAs. Before I plugged in the RCAs I turned it on to the see if the heartbeat was there, and it was. It is very consistent timing at about 1.5 - 2 second intervals. I played some music with the sub in free are, and I decided the sub it's self is ok, and I think it's the amp that is broken. The sub isnt scratchy at all when I push on it, and it seems to be all intact and moves is an out without a hiccup. So I'm pretty certain it's a problem with the amp.

Is there anyway to test my theory? I've plugged it into many different outlets including the one our JL Fathom is in and it still has the heartbeat (which the JL does not) so I don't think it's a ground loop, but rather an internal problem with the amp. I looked at the circuitry and TO ME it all looks fine, but I have no idea what to look for in the first place.

Thanks for any more information or fixes you might have!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Be sure and look behind the speaker itself to make sure the bare wires are not touching. I had to take the speaker out of the enclosure to look behind to see the problem. If your amp is blown and you have it repaired, it may just blow again.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #8 of 9 Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Be sure and look behind the speaker itself to make sure the bare wires are not touching. I had to take the speaker out of the enclosure to look behind to see the problem. If your amp is blown and you have it repaired, it may just blow again.

Are you saying I should take apart the woofer? I've taken the woofer and amp out of the box/cabinet/enclosure. The quick disconnects seem fine and the wires inside the amp seem fine, so there is good connection being made. I get the feeling the amp is messed up for the reasons in my last post. How much for a 100-150w amp?
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM

I am not saying to take apart the woofer, just look at the back side of it. And yes, you may have a blown sub amp. But just look at the back side of the speaker and make sure it's ok.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page