two bic-pl200's or one hsu vtf-2mk4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quick question,

I currently have a bic pl200 and it's nice, but I'm looking for more power, low end bass.
Am I better off getting a second bic 200 or just buying a sub like the vtf-2mk4 and going with one of those?

If I did buy the vtf, could I still you the 200 and run it as a second sub, or would the vtf be overpowered?

If I go with the route of buying one more powerful sub instead of another bic does anyone have any recommendations? It doesn't have to be the hsu vtf series but that's the price range I want to be in (500-600 bucks)

Current setup:

Fronts-energy rc-50'
center-energy rc-lcr
surrounds- energy rc-10
receiver-denon avr1713
sub- bic pl 200

Room size: 14x17x8 (but at some point this will be going into a larger room which is why I'm wondering what to do)

primary use: ht and tv

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I love having 2 subs but I think if I was you I would sell the PL-200 and buy 1 good sub for now. And then as money permits buy an identical second sub. I have 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs which are comparabe to the VTF2 MK4. The LFM-1 Plus can be had for $499 each and free shipping when on sale. Also the new Rythmik 12" sub should be nice too.

Shawn
post #3 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responce, so basically the bic isn't worth using and get a better sub
post #4 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
The PL-200 is one of the most highly regarded subs in the $300 category. But if you can step into the $500 to $600 category then the ID subs will blow the BIC away. So in other words if you have the money to do as I suggested then go for it. But for me I knew I wanted both my subs at once and I knew I had approx $1k to spend so that's why I went with dual Pluses instead of one $1k sub now and then trying to save for a second later. The ID subs in that price range will have sub 20hz output and will be a lot more accurate than the PL-200 for movies and music, but if you want duals right away there is nothing wrong with having dual PL-200s. Dual subs smooth out the freq resp and add 3db when placed at different spots in the room or they can add 6db if you co-locate them. I like the smooth response that duals gives vs only one sub.

Shawn
post #5 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Dual RW-12d's would stomp a single HSU.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

Dual RW-12d's would stomp a single HSU.
That was a well thought response.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

The PL-200 is one of the most highly regarded subs in the $300 category. But if you can step into the $500 to $600 category then the ID subs will blow the BIC away. So in other words if you have the money to do as I suggested then go for it. But for me I knew I wanted both my subs at once and I knew I had approx $1k to spend so that's why I went with dual Pluses instead of one $1k sub now and then trying to save for a second later. The ID subs in that price range will have sub 20hz output and will be a lot more accurate than the PL-200 for movies and music, but if you want duals right away there is nothing wrong with having dual PL-200s. Dual subs smooth out the freq resp and add 3db when placed at different spots in the room or they can add 6db if you co-locate them. I like the smooth response that duals gives vs only one sub.[/quote

Ok, I think I may go for the dual bic 200's I really don't want to go through the hassel of selling the bic for another sub... Can I miss match subs? is it worrth say have a bic in the rear of the room and a rythmik or hsu vtf in the front??? Or is it like how you have to match the front three speakers in a HT setup?
post #8 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I think I may go for the dual bic 200's I really don't want to go through the hassel of selling the bic for another sub... Can I miss match subs? is it worrth say have a bic in the rear of the room and a rythmik or hsu vtf in the front??? Or is it like how you have to match the front three speakers in a HT setup?
post #9 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
You can use two different subs... You really want something with SUB EQ though ...so you can match them as best as possible. Since subs do not tend to localization if kept below 80hz ...you should be fine.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

You can use two different subs... You really want something with SUB EQ though ...so you can match them as best as possible. Since subs do not tend to localization if kept below 80hz ...you should be fine.

Thanks! May I'll get the ID sub for the front and put the Bic near field... By sub EQ i'm assuming audessy on my denon 1713 would do that? (by assuming I could be making an ass out of myself lol)
post #11 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 55
hi Glan,

the Sub EQ Newbie is referring to is a feature of Audyssey, only found on AVR's with XT32 ( but not the Onkyo 818). It measures and EQ's each subwoofer individually. The Denon 1713 doesn't offer this.

I would recommend buying 1 of the best subwoofer you can afford. You may like it so much you never feel the need to add a second. The "what if..." factor could come into play ... just sayin' wink.gif

I almost purchased 2 of the same PL 200's, but went with a single VTF 3 instead. I knew myself, and that I'd always wonder "what if..." I was coming from an entry level Onkyo HTIB, but had seen enough anecdotal evidence of others' slow progression to better and better subs. I'm sure almost anything would've been an improvement from what I had, but wanted to avoid the wasted expense of making multiple marginally better upgrades. I decided to purchase from HSU (lots of reasons, but YMMV), and went with their top of the line (non-sealed) offering (at the time). No regrets whatsoever. I did add a second about a year later, as funds allowed. No regrets there, either. I believe it was less expensive, and less hassle, than the settle now, upgrade over and over approach.

this is, of course, IMO. and YMMV
Joseph smile.gif

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
2 BIC's are not going to play lower really. Just louder and having two will smooth out bass response. So if you are looking for more extension, I would get a better sub and build off that.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I'd go with a single VTF2 in this case. It will get louder than the PL200 yet maintain a higher quality sound. The only think dual PL200s will achieve is a smoother room response. Also, if you ever wanted to sell the VTF2, Hsus resell very well, so it wouldn't be difficult to unload it on ebay while keeping a good chunk of the value.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome Vtf it is thanks for the info... Ill be looking to get on in the next couple months and that VTF seems pretty versitale
post #15 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and maybe I'll put the little bic in the back of the room and see what it does... when I get the funds to upgrade my receiver:D
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page