Auralex SubDude vs. Spike feet - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 137
So bottom line here is i live on second floor of condo and want to use sub in my home theater but dont want to upset my downstairs neighbors.You are saying forget the subdude product for it wont help.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

So bottom line here is i live on second floor of condo and want to use sub in my home theater but dont want to upset my downstairs neighbors.You are saying forget the subdude product for it wont help.
If you want to stop bass from passing through your floor a few inches of poured concrete over the entire floor will help. Anything shy of that is like trying to stop a charging rhino with spitballs.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What if my sub itself is vibrating and moving along the floor even on spikes? I was going to buy a SubDude for this.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusEstBorg View Post
What if my sub itself is vibrating and moving along the floor even on spikes? I was going to buy a SubDude for this.
Is this on carpet? Or a hard floor? Spikes should only be used on carpet. On a hard floor cut a piece of this to size:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...0300/202015909

If neither fixes the problem chances are you're pushing the sub a lot harder than you should be. The cure for that is to add a second sub.
iatacs19 likes this.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Is this on carpet? Or a hard floor? Spikes should only be used on carpet. On a hard floor cut a piece of this to size:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...0300/202015909

If neither fixes the problem chances are you're pushing the sub a lot harder than you should be. The cure for that is to add a second sub.
It's on a hard tiled floor. First I covered the spikes with the provided rubber caps but that resulted in massive rattling. It was just freely sliding across the floor. I then removed the rubber caps and placed the spikes directly on the floor. This eliminated the horizontal movement but the spikes still vibrate on the surface of the floor. I can feel the metal of the spikes vibrating resulting in vertical movement and rattling of the sub. The floor is even and all four spikes are firmly in contact with the floor and the sub has no tilt whatsoever.

It's a Wharfedale SPC-12 and has a sustained output of 400 W. After Audyssey calibration I never run it above 0.0 dB so there's no way the sub is anywhere near its limit.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusEstBorg View Post
It's on a hard tiled floor.
Use the linked pad. BTW, a tile floor is the worst material there is for a listening room. You should have as much of it as possible covered with rugs.

It's a Wharfedale SPC-12 and has a sustained output of 400 W. After Audyssey calibration I never run it above 0.0 dB so there's no way the sub is anywhere near its limit.

You can't tell from where the calibration or volume controls are set whether it's near its limit or not. The very long cone excursion that's required to make it dance about is a pretty good indication.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just from my personal experience, A subdude or gramma do actually make a difference on hard floors (wood. tile, etc.). I live in a really nice house, but it was built in the 20s and has hard wood floors. My gramma pad eliminated a little bit of wood floor vibration from my floor where the wood floors had a little bit of play in them. Also, since my theater room is located upstairs and above my living room, I can from experience tell you that the gramma pad made the subwoofer much less noticable in the living room. Before the pad, the subwoofer was coupled to the floor via it's rubber feet and I could hear explosions, etc. much louder down there than I can now. Family in the living room usually don't even know I am upstairs watching movies or playing video games since getting the pad.
I also tend to believe that any kind of foam will do the same thing, even cheap packing foam. But for tower speakers that require stability, a gramma pad or great gramma pad cut in half securely gets the job done.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
You can't tell from where the calibration or volume controls are set whether it's near its limit or not. The very long cone excursion that's required to make it dance about is a pretty good indication.
I lowered the volume down from 0 dB to -18 dB and listened closely to the sub. I hear the same "rattling" at exactly the same moments. I can physically see that the cone is excursing almost 1 cm less so it's probably not "bottoming" out. The floor has stopped vibrating around the sub but I still hear the rattling. I have no explanation for this...
Old 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I did use spikes with a penny under then for years. One day I figured I needed an upgrade so I moved up to nickels and man did it sound good. After some saving and a big promotion at work I now have quarters under each spike. I did notice less and less improvement. I guess diminishing returns kicked in. Since I'm in Canada my dream system would have Toonies under the spikes but I can't see my wife wanting to spend that kind of money our system.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Since I'm in Canada my dream system would have Toonies under the spikes but I can't see my wife wanting to spend that kind of money our system.
Use hockey pucks, hoser.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Use the linked pad. BTW, a tile floor is the worst material there is for a listening room. You should have as much of it as possible covered with rugs.

I live in India so I can't get easy access to materials. I folder up a thin carpet into a 15x12 rectangle and put the sub on top of it. The sound is a little muffled but the vibration noise has completely stopped. The spikes are also sinking in to the carpet reducing the distance between the excursed cone and the carpet. I wonder if it will negatively affect the sound.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
The spikes are also sinking in to the carpet reducing the distance between the excursed cone and the carpet. I wonder if it will negatively affect the sound.
It will when the distance alteration is a significant percentage of a wavelength. Since the shortest wavelength a sub with an 80Hz crossover passes is 14 feet long you don't have to be concerned.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:39 PM

I've got the SubDude. Now the SubDude is sliding across the floor. The sub stays firmly in place on top of the SubDude.