post #1 of 3 Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the equipment that I am currently running for my subwoofers:
-(2) SVS 16-46 CS-Plus passive subwoofers
-(1) Crown CE1000 @ 450W/channel @ 4 ohms
The Crown CE1000 has no DSP or subsonic filter and I am trying to protect my subwoofers from any possible damage. I would like to run a subsonic filter but I am kind of confused on what the best peice of equipment is to use for this application. So I have the following questions:
-Should I use a subsonic filter and at what frequency should I start to roll off?
-What are my best options for equipment to use for a subsonic filter (Minidsp)?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 AM

Liked: 801
Don't know about rolloff but our DSPeaker, Anti-Mode has a subsonic filter and basically, my understanding, it protects the subwoofer from going so low that it harms itself. You know how subwoofers are. Give them a few low frequencies to play with and a bit of unsupervised amplification and the next thing you know, they've gotten themselves in trouble. tongue.gif

When I do with and without measurements, the REW measurements taken with the filter turned on, after many reading, are the better for it readings.

Currently, I have the Anti-Mode provided, 25dB and 35dB boost in the on position as that gives what I consider to be the better graph in the <70Hz (one octave) of the graph. Understanding, when I post, in my opinion, graph reading and interpretation is a subjective "art" as once one gets their system "PROPERLY" dialed in, at eighty or ninety dB, in my opinion, outside the ideal of +/- 3dB, transient nuances of two to five dB, are going be undetectable as before one can notice any fractional of a second sonic dip, the sound track and visual before them have moved way beyond our ability to notice and recall.

The same goes for a dip or null that presents itself during a transient visually presented sound track. If a dip or null is a quarter to a half octave wide, one isn't going notice the sonic flaw. This is what my understanding is based upon reading but I've not measured and verified this point.

If a single frequency, of course you're going notice a ten of fifteen dB dip but if a visually transient scene with sound track is presented before you such as a comedy like "Liar, Liar" with Jim Carrey, I doubt anybody is going notice a momentary dip of a few ms.

The point of my above ramblings, have you measured the sonic output of your subwoofer system and if so, how close are you to ideal so you won't find need to overdrive your subwoofers?

From what I've read on the SVS 16-46 CS-Plus, they're spec'd at 300w, 4ohm load, 16Hz and folks have rave reviews on their output.

-
post #3 of 3 Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi15 View Post

Here is the equipment that I am currently running for my subwoofers:
-(2) SVS 16-46 CS-Plus passive subwoofers
-(1) Crown CE1000 @ 450W/channel @ 4 ohms
The Crown CE1000 has no DSP or subsonic filter and I am trying to protect my subwoofers from any possible damage. I would like to run a subsonic filter but I am kind of confused on what the best peice of equipment is to use for this application. So I have the following questions:
-Should I use a subsonic filter and at what frequency should I start to roll off?
-What are my best options for equipment to use for a subsonic filter (Minidsp)?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ideally you'd want to use a high pass filter which had three adjustable variables - corner frequency, slope, and Q value. Since the 16-46 is physically tuned to 16 Hz, probably a decent starting point would be an 18 Hz corner, 12 dB/octave or 24 dB/octave slope, and a Q value of 0.6-0.8 (this will depend on how much room gain is present, the shape of the subwoofer corner/knee in-room, and whether you're using any other EQ program like Audyssey MultEQ XT or XT32).

It looks like the 8033 has an option for a flat response (no boost) along with a 20 Hz 4th order (24 dB/octave) high pass. The Q value of the filter appears to be about 0.7 since it's maximally flat. While probably not a perfect fit, this would certainly be much better than nothing, as the passive 16-46 is susceptible to being overdriven below tuning unless a high pass is employed.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page