Possible Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last year, I bought a pair of Polk Monitor 40 speakers and a Onkyo 8050 Rec. I really like my set-up but I may try to improve on it. I am thinking about adding a subwoofer, but I have some restrictions. This set-up is in my bedroom. I do not want a large sub nor do I want to run a sub cable around my bedroom or up into my attic. Iam thinking about placing a small sub on my bottom shelf of my componet rack. the sub would have to be less than 12 inches in height , 18 inches across and the shelf is glass. My speakes are only 25-30 inches apart so the sub would be between them. Is there a problem with this set-up? I heard it may not be a good idea to place a sub on a shelf or close to your speakers. I was looking at a Yamaha YST-FSW50 or YST-FSW150. I would like any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Is there a problem with this set-up?
A couple of thoughts:

1. The sub may perform well in the spot you've chosen, but it may not. If it doesn't, you have two choices: Live with it, or move the sub to a different spot. If the latter is a viable option, perhaps a bigger/better sub will work in that alternate spot.

Ideally, you should do a sub crawl, find the two or three spots that offer the best performance at the main listening position and put the sub in one of those spots.

2. Your speakers are far too close together to create any meaningful soundstage. If it's feasible, get them up onto some stands and spread them apart a bit more.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Anything else to fit would be hard to find. Try one out and see how it works for you.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I know my speakers are too close, about 32 inches, but I can't really re-arrange my bedroom. I do have my speakers up on stands. I know it isn't an ideal situation.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I know now, I should spent money on some good towers instead of the 40's and stands.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleDon View Post

Iam thinking about placing a small sub on my bottom shelf of my componet rack. the sub would have to be less than 12 inches in height , 18 inches across and the shelf is glass. My speakes are only 25-30 inches apart so the sub would be between them. Is there a problem with this set-up?

The good news, pretty much, you can place a single sub where ever you choose. A corner position on the floor is a better position then a glass shelf as glass shelves are fragile and subwoofers are heavy; especially when combined with a pair of speakers and the subwoofer is placed in the middle. And considering possible vibration issues, subs on glass shelves can come to catastrophic endings. The good news, if it does break, being on the bottom shelf, one only has a single shelf's worth of glass shards to clean up. tongue.gif

Quote:
Yea, I know my speakers are too close, about 32 inches, but I can't really re-arrange my bedroom.

Toe the speakers out an inch or two as opposed to focusing the sound field of both speaker's output at the same location. Kills the focused sound stage affect but the trade off is a "HUGE" sound stage. One doesn't sit in one location in a room but moves around. Sometimes even dancing when nobody is looking to improve one's moves. Having the speakers toed out an inch or so, enlarges the sound field and is like real world venues as opposed to the pseudo world of a micro focused sound stage that exists only when two speakers are focused at one location.

Either which way, be wary of subwoofers that aren't very big and powerful and going small and compact means giving up headroom and in my opinion, subwoofers are all about the headroom that accompanies everything else. In the short, no headroom, game over.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

I believe my shelves are rated for 75 lbs, though I am concern about vibration. The Yamaha sub I was looking at weighs about 21 lbs.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 824
And keep in mind that you are not only vibrating the cabinet which could cause annoying rattles but you will also be vibrating the rest of your electronics.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page