SVS PB1000 vs Outlaw LFM-1 Plus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have narrowed my sub choices to these two, the SVS PB1000 and the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. If the Outlaw goes on sale soon than I will have to choose between the two as the prices will be almost even. If the Outlaw doesn't go on sale than it's SVS all the way.

I like the tuning options of the Outlaw but I like the warranty and smaller size of the SVS. My room is only 1100 cubic feet so I am not sure if the Outlaw would be overkill. I do not go crazy on the bass, just looking for a quality sub to round out my setup for 50/50 movies/music. This is my first non htib sub so I am sure I would enjoy either.

The Outlaw goes on sale for $499 shipped occasionally and the SVS is $534 shipped (SVS taxes me in NJ), so pretty even.

My main question is are these 2 subs evenly compared for my needs or will the 12 inch driver of the LFM be a big improvement over the 10 inch SVS.

On a related note, is the SVS bill of rights worth $45. I can get the PB1000 direct from SVS for $534 or from Onecall for $489. SVS will honor the warranty but none of the other perks if purchased from Onecall. To be honest I don't really think I need the ones not related to warranty or customer service. I am double my original budget already and the $45 savings is enticing. My setup will never be in a larger room so I won't need to upgrade, which I think is the best one outside of warranty. I am just trying to make sure going with Onecall is not a mistake

my setup
Pioneer BS22/C22 front stage
old Yamahas for rear
Denon 1712

thanks for the help and advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-17-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 603
The Outlaw will be a lot more powerful, these subs are not in the same league of performance. I wouldn't be surprised if the Outlaw has over twice the power of the PB1000, and it isn't just because the Outlaw has a larger driver. I would say either wait for a sale or just save up and buy it at full price, because if you look at it in terms of price verses performance, it's a much better deal either way.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The Outlaw will be a lot more powerful, these subs are not in the same league of performance. I wouldn't be surprised if the Outlaw has over twice the power of the PB1000, and it isn't just because the Outlaw has a larger driver. I would say either wait for a sale or just save up and buy it at full price, because if you look at it in terms of price verses performance, it's a much better deal either way.

Thanks, but I am getting a little anxious as I have been trying to decide for a month now. I definitely don't want the Outlaw at full price but I don't know how much longer I can wait smile.gif. I realize I may have to push the PB1000 harder as opposed to dialing down the Outlaw but do you think in the small room I am using it in I can get similar output. Unfortunately price versus performance takes a back seat to price alone. The Outlaw is $620 shipped now and I am do not want to go that high for a bedroom setup where everything else was under $500 total and I watch only one or two movies a week. I can wait a little while for a sale of $499 shipped but I guess I will just buy the PB otherwise and hope for the best. It's not like I have anything to compare it to biggrin.gif and I know the PB is a good sub.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sounds like you are in a very similar situation as I was not too long ago. I was looking for a sub for my apartment which is only slightly bigger than the room you mentioned. And like you I had never heard anything more than a htib so I also had nothing to compare to. I went with the PB-1000 because of all the great things I heard here. Its truly been great for me and I have no regrets, I don't ever think about other subs I could have had in the same price range because it is more than enough for me and I think it sounds great. You probably can't go wrong with either of these subs though, as both will be in a totally different league than a htib sub. On a side note I know that SVS offers a 45 day in home trial which would allow you to test it out and see what you think without being stuck with it (just pay return shipping which isn't much). And also the guys at SVS are great to work with if you ever have any questions.

So moral of the story is you probably don't need to worry so much about getting the absolute "best" sub for the money because it is going to be subjective, and unless you yourself do a side by side comparison you will never be able to tell which sounds better to you. So pull the trigger on either and prepare to enjoy a new depth in your home theater.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-17-2013, 11:00 PM
JJ7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've got three SVS subs– I've never had a single problem and have found the pre- and post-sales support to be excellent. So I don't think you can go wrong with the SVS sub.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Liked: 10
let me help clear this up a bit if i can - i have no idea as to the performance of the pb-1000 but i've since sold my DUAL HSU VTF-3 MK3 subs and since then I have snagged ONE Outlaw LFM-1 Plus (for $215 local!) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

From what I can tell so far I PREFER the one to the two in almost every category to the HSU's - I CANNOT fathom why b/c they're sister companies and the 3-3 is supposedly a "better" sub. The only difference maybe is that b/c it's downfiring it makes a differenc? Idk but what I do know is that i'm SO much more pleased with this than my previous HSU Subs! biggrin.gif

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
post #7 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

let me help clear this up a bit if i can - i have no idea as to the performance of the pb-1000 but i've since sold my DUAL HSU VTF-3 MK3 subs and since then I have snagged ONE Outlaw LFM-1 Plus (for $215 local!) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

From what I can tell so far I PREFER the one to the two in almost every category to the HSU's - I CANNOT fathom why b/c they're sister companies and the 3-3 is supposedly a "better" sub. The only difference maybe is that b/c it's downfiring it makes a differenc? Idk but what I do know is that i'm SO much more pleased with this than my previous HSU Subs! biggrin.gif

How did you position the dual HSU's vs the single Outlaw?

Little Loft Home Theater
post #8 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

Its obvious they were not set up correctly. no way a single LFM-1 would have more output than dual mk3's...just sayin.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

Are there measured numbers for the Plus? The EX is on databass, but I have not seen measurements on the Plus.

The PB1000 looks pretty good here

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/04/19/review-svs-pb-1000-subwoofer?page=0,1

I don't doubt it can get louder, since it is bigger, more expensive, and has a larger driver, I just would like to see it measured.

Thanks

post #10 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Are there measured numbers for the Plus? The EX is on databass, but I have not seen measurements on the Plus.

The PB1000 looks pretty good here

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/04/19/review-svs-pb-1000-subwoofer?page=0,1

I don't doubt it can get louder, since it is bigger, more expensive, and has a larger driver, I just would like to see it measured.

Thanks

Go to data-bass and subtract 3db from the EX-1 numbers and that will get you close to the LFM-1

Go to the PB-12NSD numbers on data bass and subtract 3db and that will get you close to the pb-1000

www.data-bass.com/systems

I highly advise not paying any attention to S&V numbers to make comparisons.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

Don't know what you were doing wrong, because I have VTF3 mk3s and LFM-1 EXs. If anything, the VTF3s are higher performers.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

same position

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
post #13 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Its obvious they were not set up correctly. no way a single LFM-1 would have more output than dual mk3's...just sayin.

i'm sorry but they were set up exactly the way the folks over at HSU told me to set them up - don't assume i have no idea what i'm doing.

post #14 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Don't know what you were doing wrong, because I have VTF3 mk3s and LFM-1 EXs. If anything, the VTF3s are higher performers.

not in my room man - i don't understand it either trust me.
the dual 3-3's did get more than the single but it's really no comparison 1v1 and for the price i'd take the 1 over the 2 all day.
i've tweaked the crap out of those HSU subs and placed them in 4+ different position in the room - trust me i'm not just saying this to jump on a bandwagon or jump off one.

post #15 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Not to confuse you further, but you should take a look at the Rythmik LV12R too.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-10-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Go to data-bass and subtract 3db from the EX-1 numbers and that will get you close to the LFM-1

The plus also rolls off at 18 vs 16 for the ex-1. Assuming you plug one port.

It's the same sub in a smaller enclosure.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

The plus also rolls off at 18 vs 16 for the ex-1. Assuming you plug one port.

It's the same sub in a smaller enclosure.

Point I was trying to make was in max out put mode both the svs and outlaw younger sibling is -3db output across the board.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers