post #1 of 3 Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the setup:
Receiver: HK 1700
Spekaers: HKTS 30

The system is brand new and I just got everything setup yesterday and noticed a very subtle pop coming from the sub occasionally. It is very random and, of course is only audible whenever the sub is on but not in use.

My basic understanding of the physics of electromagnetism and such, makes me think is the result of some static that builds up somewhere and then get discharge through the sub.

So far I've done the obvious:
1) If the sub is turned off, no popping -> it is definitely the sub
2) It does regardless if I use the trigger signal
3) power switch to on or auto has no affect
4) volume setting of the sub or the receiver has no impact

Right now the sub is plugged into a regular GE-labeled surge protector using the wires supplied (that combines the LFE signal and the trigger signal in a single wire), but

1) I have an APC H15 power conditioner on its way
2) I have a Mediabridge RCA wire on its way (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041OOF4I) to have the trigger running separate (if at all)

Am I on the right path to solve this? What else could it be?

Whoever did the wiring of our house actually has the receptacle behind the TV shard with some lights, some of them on dimmer: I would hate to have to rewire it to a separate breaker so I hope if that's the source of the static gets taken care of by the H15. I also like to exclude faulty sub or faulty amp since they work amazing when watching a BlueRay with DTS-HD...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update: just got home and did some more testing. The interference comes from the power: the pop or thump occurs even when all signal wires are disconnected.

Must be some kind of voltage disturbance introduced by a motor, pump or switch but couldn't trace it to something around the house.

I guess I wait for the APC unit and see if that takes care of it...

I guess next step is waiting for the

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 3 Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

After engaging HK customer service on the issue I decide to return these speakers (and the HK receiver as well) and write of HK from the list of companies I'll give my business to.

But lets step back a sec: after receiving the APC H15 and plugging the sub into it to no avail I tried one more thing. Took the sub to a friend of mine and replicated the same thump. In the meantime the power indicator also started to flicker.

I guess I got a defective unit. No biggy, it happens... I'm sure HK will replace it: I couldn't be more wrong. First off the tech support is hopeless: after telling them all the steps I took they asked me (in poor English) to try to unplug it and plug it back in... Now, really... mad.gif

Then they wanted me to drive 75 miles to their closest authorized center to have diagnosed and repaired... That was it: went on Amazon and returned everything. I have no intention to do anything with something that is defective out of the box...

The receiver got replaced with an Onkyo TX-NR616 and the speakers with Energy Take Classic 5.1

Sorry Harman Kardon, you lost a customer

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page