BIC F12 set at -8db? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just purchased the BIC F12 and did the MultiEQ Audyssey setup. After the initial test, it came back wanting to be set at -8db. Does this seem odd to any of you? I've never had a sub before so I have no idea what settings I should be putting them at. I'm pairing it with a set of RTi4's. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There's nothing odd about it. Your receiver sent a signal, the sub played it, and Audyssey decided it was 83 dB when it wanted 75.

If you really want to change that -8 to something closer to zero, feel free to turn the sub down a bit and run Audyssey setup again. It won't hurt anything. It won't really help either.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

There's nothing odd about it. Your receiver sent a signal, the sub played it, and Audyssey decided it was 83 dB when it wanted 75.

If you really want to change that -8 to something closer to zero, feel free to turn the sub down a bit and run Audyssey setup again. It won't hurt anything. It won't really help either.

Without running Audyssey again could I just set the DB to "0" in the options menu. Will this achieve the same result? I did that to achieve a higher sound coming from the Sub. Thoughts?
post #4 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

If you do that what will happen is that everything coming out of your subwoofer will be louder. This is often called running the sub 'hot', and is done deliberately by some who want extra bass. As Robert Palmer said, "some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on". If that's your thing, go for it with the full knowledge that what you're hearing isn't quite what was intended, although it might just be to your liking.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

If you do that what will happen is that everything coming out of your subwoofer will be louder. This is often called running the sub 'hot', and is done deliberately by some who want extra bass. As Robert Palmer said, "some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on". If that's your thing, go for it with the full knowledge that what you're hearing isn't quite what was intended, although it might just be to your liking.

So would the "better" option to keep it at -8db within Audyssey, and then change the volume on the sub itself to my liking?

And, is one option compared to the other have negative effects on the sub? Hurting it in anyway meaning long term damage? Thanks for your quick responses!!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

So would the "better" option to keep it at -8db within Audyssey, and then change the volume on the sub itself to my liking?

And, is one option compared to the other have negative effects on the sub? Hurting it in anyway meaning long term damage? Thanks for your quick responses!!

Actually the one thing you really shouldn't do after Audyssey setup is change the gain on the sub. This is mostly because few subs have gain controls that you can reliably set back to a known level. I guess there's also a bit of possibility for damage if you're ham-handed about things but really it's to keep everything calibrated and level-matched.

There's more information than you could possibly want to know about Audyssey over in the receivers amps & processors forum.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page