Confused with direct vs without direct mode for BIC F12??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm trying to set up my BIC F12 for the best settings but I'm confused on the inital setup in terms of crossover, gain, ect.

In the Denon 1613 Manual it states , "When using a subwoofer with a direct mode set the direct mode to “On” and disable the volume adjustment and crossover frequency setting. When using a subwoofer without a direct mode make the following settings:

• Volume : “12 o’clock position”
• Crossover frequency : “Maximum/Highest Frequency”
• Low pass filter : “Off”
• Standby mode : “Off”

My question is this : Does BIC F12 have a "direct mode", and if so, where do I find this? I also notice it says if it does not have a direct mode to set the crossover frequency to the highest available. But I always thought the crossover should be about 80 on a sub? Can anyone explain this to me? I'm totally lost.

And what is this "Pro Digital Dolby vs 5.1, 7.1" business that you can toggle? I read it in the manual but I'm still confused on what to select.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 485
If the sub has a switch that lets you disable its internal "crossover" (or low-pass filter (LPF)), setting the switch to "disable" means you're running in "direct" mode as far as the receiver - which will be handling bass management - is concerned.

If your sub does not have a switch that lets you disable its internal LPF, then dialling the knob to the max setting is the next best thing to disabling it.

-- Edit --
Setting the "RECEIVER TYPE" switch to "Digital 5.1 ... " should disable the internal LPF. (For good measure, not that it should matter, you could also dial the knob to the max setting.)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

If the sub has a switch that lets you disable its internal "crossover" (or low-pass filter (LPF)), setting the switch to "disable" means you're running in "direct" mode as far as the receiver - which will be handling bass management - is concerned.

If your sub does not have a switch that lets you disable its internal LPF, then dialling the knob to the max setting is the next best thing to disabling it.

-- Edit --
Setting the "RECEIVER TYPE" switch to "Digital 5.1 ... " should disable the internal LPF. (For good measure, not that it should matter, you could also dial the knob to the max setting.)

Ok, so put the switch towards the 5.1, 7.1 and this will disable the internal frequency of the sub, correct?

And then I would change the crossover frequency on my AVR to 80? Is this the correct process?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Setting the switch to "Digital 5.1 ... " should disable the sub's internal crossover/LPF. (I'd also max out the knob, for good measure.)

Run Audyssey, then go into the speaker set-up menu and set all speakers to "small". If the receiver has set the crossover lower than 80Hz, you can raise it to 80Hz. If it has set the crossover higher than 80Hz - because your speakers don't extend low enough - don't lower it to 80Hz or you may lose some content (between the 80Hz setting and the actualy bottom end of your speakers).
post #5 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Setting the switch to "Digital 5.1 ... " should disable the sub's internal crossover/LPF. (I'd also max out the knob, for good measure.)

Run Audyssey, then go into the speaker set-up menu and set all speakers to "small". If the receiver has set the crossover lower than 80Hz, you can raise it to 80Hz. If it has set the crossover higher than 80Hz - because your speakers don't extend low enough - don't lower it to 80Hz or you may lose some content (between the 80Hz setting and the actualy bottom end of your speakers).

Great. Thanks so much.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page