Addition to my BX5 D2 (PC) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the BX5 D2 powered speakers, and as much as I like them, I feel as they are a bit weak on bass. What kind of subwoofer do I need, and how can I connect it along with my speakers into my computer? My graphics card is a Xonar DG, and I do not plan on purchasing a receiver. I am looking at subwoofers like this: http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=162&productId=79&sku=BASS12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 722
In my opinion you should be filtering the deepest bass from these speakers when adding a subwoofer. To do this you will need a "crossover" in the system somewhere. The subwoofer may have one internally the will filter the signal in this manner. Look for a subwoofer that has both line level inputs AND outputs. Then read the product detail to see if the outputs are filtered.

Otherwise, you will need to add an external crossover. Usually the least expensive units are in the $69-99 range.

If you wanted to forego the speaker filtering for now, you should be able to find a "splitter" for the outputs of your sound card. Run one leg into the subwoofer and one leg into the speakers. The subwoofer should have both L/R inputs for this to work. Also, I'd send an email to the sound card developers just to verify adding a splitter to its output is ok.

Tom V.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to do a configuration like this without sacrificing sound quality?

Or is it a must to use speakers with a panel like this to achieve balanced sound without a receiver?

post #4 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Your diagram should work fine. I would send an email to the sound card people to make sure they don't have any problem with you splitting the output. I can't see you running into any issue but it never hurts to spend 5 minutes asking.

The limitation of this arrangement is the speakers won't have the deep bass filtered. So you will want to be sure the subwoofer you choose has a built in (adjustable) low pass filter. This will allow you to experiment a bit and find a decent "blend" between the speakers and the sub. As I mentioned in my first post, I do believe you'll get better overall sound quality if you did relieve the speakers of the bass signal. However you can always add a separate crossover to do that down the road. Or, you might not even find it necessary. .

Tom V.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page