Help with proper hookup and settings for my second sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just got a second polk psw505 today and would like advice from the experts as I am a home audio newbie. First, for the connection, I got a y connector that I plugged into the back of the first sub. It accepts the signal from the receiver and also feeds the second sub. Is this the best way to wire them since I only have one sub output?

Next, I hooked the RCA's up to the left input on each sub. Should I be using LFE?

Now for the settings. I have the phase set to zero on both, the volume level the same on both, and the frequency at about 105hz on both. Any changes recommended with the settings?

In case it matters, this is a 5 speaker system used mostly for music and some HT. My other speakers are Polk monitor 70's and monitor 40's. The receiver is a denon avr 1613, 75 WPC.

Thank you for your input and expertise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hi,

you want to to plug the y connector from your lfe output on your avr directly to the LFE input on each sub. The rest looks ok, but it is usually a good idea to change the phase on them, one on 0 degrees and the other on 180 degrees, depending on placement, etc....

Then run your Audyssey with both subs and enjoy! You may have to average out the distance of the two subs to your listening position, and adjust it manually.

You may already know this, but make sure you get the sub volume level in your AVR after running Audyssey to 0.0 db or close to it. I usually do one position and then let it calibrate, and if it is too far in the +db area, I turn the subs up and redo it, and if it is too far in the -db area, I turn it down and redo it until it is close or at zero. This will give you lots of leeway to either turn them down, or turn them up using your receiver, as you shouldn't touch the volume on the subs once you run audyssey, should all be done through the receiver. Once you get the subs where you want them volume wise, run your full audyssey.

Also, make sure all your speakers are changed to SMALL manually after you run audyssey.

Have fun with your subs!

EDIT, I would cross the fronts at 80 hz in your receiver, and the surrounds and center at 100...try it out.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the response. So far I tried changing the phase on the new sub only. When I switch it to 180 and am sitting beside the sub on my couch, the effect is like turning the power switch on on that sub. What a difference when they are on opposite phases. When they are the same, I can tell the cone is moving, but I hear air more than bass.

I still have more testing to do when I have a helper to flip the switch for me while I am in different listening positions. It does seem with the little testing I did, that alternating the phase had a slight cancelling effect when seated at the other end of the couch where the first sub is. This also happens to be a corner, which I have read changes the sound of the sub. Do my results make sense to you audiophiles? I will report more testing results when done.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
i ended up putting both my psw505's next to eachother in the front right corner of my living room. also have both phase adjustments at 0. i could not get them to sound right any other way. however if you have the subs in opposite corners of the room, one will need to be set at 180, the other at 0, as mentioned above. enjoy your subs, the psw505's are great for the coin!