Need boards help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading the boards here for awhile and I just finished my home theatre and was hoping to get some advice. My svs pb12 Plus sounds like its maxing out or fluttering. I noticed this while watching battle La. I have a onkyo txnr818 with rf82's up front. My sub volume is set to -4 on the svs and I think my sub volume on receiver is set to 0 (I can't tell because my avr is set to thx cinema which means I can't change tone). I am pretty new to this stuff but i feel my 4 year old velodyne dsp10 did not max out or sound like this. The volume I set to 82 db. Front speakers are 60hz and surrounds are 80. If you need more information let me know. My room is 25 feet long 12.5 feet wide. Sub sits along side wall with ports facing my seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Are you sure the sub is in the correct port tuning mode, ie: if you are running the sub in the 16hz mode do you have a) one of the ports plugged and, b) the correct filter setting (16hz) in the amp's interface? If you selected the 16hz mode, but have all of the ports open, the sub is receiving a lot of information below its tuning point.

Beyond that, set up concerns, regarding levels and/or placement could be an issue.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

All ports are open and I haven't touched any settings on the sub itself
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 426
After you ran Audyssey, what is the subwoofer level in your AVR?

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

It was -11 sub is set at 0
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve392 View Post

That could be your problem, by setting it at 0 from -11 you are running your sub quite hot, and battle LA is **** hot for bass anyway.

Reduce the volume on the sub itself and re-run your main position on Audyssey until the AVR sets the sub at or as close to 0 as possible after calibration. Once you get it to 0, do all listening positions and your sub should be well integrated into your HT.

To test this, try running the film with the sub at the recommended Audyssey setting of -11 and see if it sounds better.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like McStyvie sez, if we are interpretting this correctly - Audyssey set your sub to -11 and you bumped it up to 0 in the AVR, is that correct?

That would definitely be the problem if true. You shouldn't bump up the sub more than 6db. Most folks like it 3-4db hot.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Audyssey set the sub level in AVR to -11

I have my svs pb12-plus set to 0

It wasen't just battle of LA.. Even during Jurassic Park when there was loud stomping or running the sub sounded like it was hitting its max point (Hollow thoud or flutter sound)

Thanks for everyones help thus far. I spent a great deal of money on this setup and I just want it to sound good.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

so from what I understand I should be adjusting my SVS sub volume and re-running Audyssey until the AVR says 0
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM

Liked: 801
Do you have a sound meter? Yours subs should be manually set, with the AVR setting for subs at +/-0, at one foot from the subwoofer, to about 85dB so when all subs are playing simultaneously, at the main listening position (MLP), you'll have a combined reading of 73dB - 75dB.

Once, as recommended above, you've gain matched your subs, then run Audyssey.

-
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have a sound meter but I am sure i will get one if it helps
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so from what I understand I should be adjusting my SVS sub volume and re-running Audyssey until the AVR says 0

Yes, but doesn't have to be 0. +/- 3db is fine. Just run the first Audyssey position until you get the sub level right (by adjusting the volume on the sub itself), then run all Audyssey positions. After running Audyssey, do NOT change the level on the sub itself. If you feel you need to adjust the sub level, do it IN the AVR.

If, after this, you are still getting the "fluttering" sound, I would suspect a defective sub.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone serious about HT should have one in their arsenal.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

It will definitely help as I doubt there are any who can accurately set their subs by ear and do so without first having benefit of a sound level meter to teach them what to listen for.

After going through four sound meters, this is the sound level meter that I finally settled on as I wanted a sound meter that was held to a minimum, Type 2 standard, could be easily calibrated at home, had a back lit display panel and a usable low of 30dB. Personally, I wanted better then is expected from the forum standard, the Radio Shack, digital, sound meter, which I also have and have used. The price is about the same.

As was suggested above, a USB microphone coupled with REW (freeware) is a good room measuring package (inexpensive) so one can see how subwoofer placement/settings affect a subwoofer system's interaction with a room's acoustics. Taking these "heroic" measures, assures one of getting the best out of their subwoofer system. When I post getting the best, that does not mean perfection but instead means getting the best out of what one has.

To get the best out of one's system (close to perfection), one may need an additional third or fourth sub (and possibly the addition of room placements) as two carefully integrated subs isn't a guarantee of perfection but with effort, my educated guesstimate from personal experience, one can expect seventy to ninety percent efficiency, depending on how much effort they're willing to expend. From there, more "heroic" efforts will need to be made via the addition of a third/fourth subwoofer and/or the addition of room placements to attenuate (absorb/smooth) reflected sound waves, preventing issues of reinforcement or nullification.

In our case, I feel we've gotten the possible best out of our two subwoofer system (yes, I'll keep trying) and room measurements show empirically that we need a third sub if wanting a better response to our subwoofer integration efforts. In the end, it all boils down to the user and how good do they want their room to sound.

Babble-babble.

...biggrin.gif

-