What's more important, flat response or phase/timing of subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126

So I've been playing around with my subwoofer phase and distance setting, trying to find the correct/optimal/best setting.  You can see my previous thread with more details at this link, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464406/setting-subwoofer-phase-properly-with-omnimic

 

Looking at the image below, all traces are sub plus left speaker with 80hz crossover

black = with Audyssey set distance, so no tweaks from Audyssey

blue = same as black but increased sub level 3db

orange = added 3.5ft to sub distance and adjusted phase from 0 to 180deg (same sub level as black trace, so -3db from blue)

 

 

 

 

What bugs me is they sound much different (comparing orange to blue as black obviously has less bass).  So I'm wondering how I choose the "correct" setting.  The blue trace is more what I have been listening to previously and the bass seems to hit hard and be timed properly, at least according to my ears.  The orange trace seems best from the charts, saves me 3db subwoofer headroom and makes the subs really disappear but hard to tell if that is how it should be or if it is smearing things.

 

Which would you choose and why?

 

One more piece of information, with the Audyssey set distance (blue and black traces) the time alignment seems correct with the center channel as well based on plots.  If I go with the orange trace settings but center channel is out of phase with the sub and I get a nasty dip of -15db at 80hz.

 

Looking at the charts I would think orange and blue would sound nearly identical for music (which is what I have been listening to for comparison), but they don't.  This almost appears to be one of those things where even though the measure the same the sound different (though I'm not usually in that camp).  So looking for input and feedback from others.

primetimeguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Which would you choose and why?
The one that sounds the best, because that's what matters.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post


The one that sounds the best, because that's what matters.

They both sound good, neither is best, just different....there has to be one that is more accurate right?

primetimeguy is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126

This is an interesting read...

 

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Phase_audibility.htm

primetimeguy is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

They both sound good, neither is best, just different....there has to be one that is more accurate right?
Technically yes, but it's very difficult to hear accuracy below 100Hz., as opposed to say 500Hz, where it's very easy to hear even the very slightest inaccuracy. If you can't tell the difference go with the one that measures better, if only so you don't kvetch about it.
primetimeguy likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Member
 
Accuphase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Looking at the charts I would think orange and blue would sound nearly identical for music (which is what I have been listening to for comparison), but they don't.  This almost appears to be one of those things where even though the measure the same the sound different (though I'm not usually in that camp).  So looking for input and feedback from others.

Going with what sounds best to you is the golden rule but obviously there's room to train your ears to appreciate an accurate representation of the source. That said, bass test tones can really only help identify the nulls and peaks of your room's frequency response. You can have a flabby sub that could generate an admirable response calibrated with sine sweeps but sound terrible with music.

Adjust your phase (delay / distance setting) so that you get the loudest reading at the crossover point without going a wavelength beyond (+/- 14 feet at 80hz). You shouldn't adjust phase beyond this, unless all you do is listen to sine sweeps. Having a good response (as you do) without mucking up the timing (by introducing too much / little delay), you're doing it right.

I wouldn't choose orange as that gives a -15db drop at the crossover during multichannel playback, especially if your other trace sounds different but not worse.
primetimeguy likes this.
Accuphase is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.  

primetimeguy is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 395
First, I would run the sweep again at a loufer level(90 dBs) and adjust the scale to have 5 dBs in between, you have 15 dBs and far from flat. Flat is usually +/- 3 dBs so your graph would have to be within a 6 dB range, yours is +/- 7.5 dBs or a 15 dB range. There will be a huge difference in sound once really flat.
MKtheater is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

First, I would run the sweep again at a loufer level(90 dBs) and adjust the scale to have 5 dBs in between, you have 15 dBs and far from flat. Flat is usually +/- 3 dBs so your graph would have to be within a 6 dB range, yours is +/- 7.5 dBs or a 15 dB range. There will be a huge difference in sound once really flat.

I have done plots at higher level in the past, no major differences until extremely loud (near reference).  I think you looked at the chart wrong, grid lines are 5db now so my orange trace is +/-3db now, granted that is 1/6 octave smoothed.

primetimeguy is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I have done plots at higher level in the past, no major differences until extremely loud (near reference).  I think you looked at the chart wrong, grid lines are 5db now so my orange trace is +/-3db now, granted that is 1/6 octave smoothed.

Oh OK, I would use no smoothing but otherwise just use what sounds best. I like getting really low and a house curve with a rise below 20hz. Your graph only goes to 20hz so I would think for movies the blue trace would sound best and for music the orange line.
MKtheater is online now  
post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post


Oh OK, I would use no smoothing but otherwise just use what sounds best. I like getting really low and a house curve with a rise below 20hz. Your graph only goes to 20hz so I would think for movies the blue trace would sound best and for music the orange line.

Thanks for the input.  I think I will try some measurements at louder levels just to see.  Last time I think I did just the main speakers to see when they really started to give up.

primetimeguy is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 15,837
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 808
interesting question.

with an 80hz crossover, 1/4 wavelength or about 90 degrees of phase is 3.5 feet. so sub -3.5 rolls it back in time 1/4 wavelength.

then you flip the phase to -180 degrees, which rolls it back 1/2 wavelength for -3/4 wavelength total.

normally, the suboofer is a little slower, so it should actually be moved forward in time to align with the mains.

my guess is that you started out with a sub that was about 1/4 wavelength behind in time and then rolled it back another 3/4, so you are matching the sine wave cycle but are now one full cycle behind where you should be.

try moving the mains back in time 3.5 ms or 3.5 distance feet electronically and set your subwoofer for zero. ideally, that will align your sub with your mains.

this is the same concept as the backward sloping baffle to time align drivers, but with 3.5 feet of virtual angle because the frequency is so low.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

interesting question.

with an 80hz crossover, 1/4 wavelength or about 90 degrees of phase is 3.5 feet. so sub -3.5 rolls it back in time 1/4 wavelength.

then you flip the phase to -180 degrees, which rolls it back 1/2 wavelength for -3/4 wavelength total.

normally, the suboofer is a little slower, so it should actually be moved forward in time to align with the mains.

my guess is that you started out with a sub that was about 1/4 wavelength behind in time and then rolled it back another 3/4, so you are matching the sine wave cycle but are now one full cycle behind where you should be.

try moving the mains back in time 3.5 ms or 3.5 distance feet electronically and set your subwoofer for zero. ideally, that will align your sub with your mains.

this is the same concept as the backward sloping baffle to time align drivers, but with 3.5 feet of virtual angle because the frequency is so low.

Actually, since I increased the sub distance it will now fire sooner than the other channels, so I moved it up 1/4 wavelength of 80hz, then added 1/2 wavelength delay for a net 1/4 delay.  And sure enough if I just subtract 3.5ft from sub distance (so adding 1/4 wavelength delay) I get pretty much the exact same response.  And to your point, are these two settings really the same or is one a full cycle off?  And keep in mind that my mains are dual 8" woofers and ported so I they go fairly low but at those low frequencies I will be hearing the port which will be 180deg out of phase.  So my issue is keep the Audyssey set distance which is in phase will center and surrounds, or tweak the distance to make it in phase with low freq of mains but out of phase with other channels.

 

And those distances really only apply at 80hz.  Odd thing is there is much difference at 80hz in any of the traces.  the big difference is in the 40-60hz so nearly twice the wave length

primetimeguy is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off