DT Supercube 8000 VS Cerwin Vega CVA 121x ????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Total newb here....

Looking to replace my sub in my media room. I am looking at the Definitive Technology Supercube 8000 vs the Cerwin Vega CVA 121x....

Any thoughts... Suggestions? Which is better for price point? Hell I don't know.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Come on guys. Someone has to have some sort of input. Even if it's to just give me another option to look at. As of right now I'm leaning towards the Cerwin Vega....
post #3 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 AM

budget????
post #4 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 134
There are much better options (esp. ID) than the DT at that price point.

That CV sub looks to be more for a professional application than home use, plus only (stated) 32hz lower extension. Again, you can get much better at that price point.

Check out:

Power Sound Audio
Rythmik
SVS
HSU
Seaton Sound

And, if you're handy - DIY.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have the DT SuperCube 6000. I can honestly say that I am underwhelmed by its performance....

rolleyes.gif

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #6 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I have the SC8000 in a room a little < 1700 cubic ft. So kind of small and can be sealed off from the rest of the house. For the most part I'm pretty happy with it. I have it mated with 5 NHT SuperZeros crossed at 100hz, located in the front right corner.

I probably wouldn't be happy with it in a room over 2500 cubic feet though. It does do well for a small cube (less than 17" on a side), is built really well (it weighs 72 lbs- double the weight of the SVS SB12) and I use the remote all the time. There's just so much variation in the bass levels of music, TV, streaming content and blu-rays I would go nuts without it. My AVR is a pain to adjust the sub level. Even a better AVR would not be a convenient for adjusting the sub volume (gain).

All in all it's nice but over-priced. I most likely would not buy it again, if for some reason I had returned it or something. Only the remote is keeping me from seriously thinking of selling it and trying one of the ID brand subs.

If you can get a really good deal on it or just need a small and powerful sub for not too large an area then give it a shot.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymak View Post

budget????

Comparable to those. ~1000-1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

There are much better options (esp. ID) than the DT at that price point.

That CV sub looks to be more for a professional application than home use, plus only (stated) 32hz lower extension. Again, you can get much better at that price point.

Check out:

Power Sound Audio
Rythmik
SVS
HSU
Seaton Sound

And, if you're handy - DIY.

It's really not for "me" (it is, but it isn't) my father in law is wanting something "bitchin" and I'd appreciate stealing his living room from time to time. So the DIY route is out.

I know the freq doesn't go quite as low, but these are the 2 he said he was looking at. I told him I'd look into it. I'd LOVE to be able to blow the pictures off the walls. I want to feel the bass when I pop in some Battlefield 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

I have the SC8000 in a room a little < 1700 cubic ft. So kind of small and can be sealed off from the rest of the house. For the most part I'm pretty happy with it. I have it mated with 5 NHT SuperZeros crossed at 100hz, located in the front right corner.

I probably wouldn't be happy with it in a room over 2500 cubic feet though. It does do well for a small cube (less than 17" on a side), is built really well (it weighs 72 lbs- double the weight of the SVS SB12) and I use the remote all the time. There's just so much variation in the bass levels of music, TV, streaming content and blu-rays I would go nuts without it. My AVR is a pain to adjust the sub level. Even a better AVR would not be a convenient for adjusting the sub volume (gain).

All in all it's nice but over-priced. I most likely would not buy it again, if for some reason I had returned it or something. Only the remote is keeping me from seriously thinking of selling it and trying one of the ID brand subs.

If you can get a really good deal on it or just need a small and powerful sub for not too large an area then give it a shot.

Ok the room is 18x18 and all hardwood. The walls are hardwood paneling or cabinets. Also it's pretty open; 2 large openings for entry to the room. So now you have me wondering if that'd work. I just saw the low frequency and thought that'd be nice...
post #8 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 47
My only input is I just went from a deftech pro.sub 600 to a rythmik lv12r. It take some getting used to but now I'm loving my my rythmik more and more every day! And yeah oobviously it blows away the little pro sub in sound quantity but its the sound quality that blew me away the most! I used to think my pro sub sounded good quality wise but ohhhh boy the rythmik made me realize how wrong I was!! The pro sub is boomy and obnoxious and can't come close to the 25hz tthey claim. The rythmik is literally the most a accurate and tightest bass I have ever heard! It just amazes me and I have never heard one bit of distortion or port chuffing at all. (I haven't pushed it to crazy levels yet but still got it bumping pretty damn good.

I would recommend looking at a rythmik I highly doubt you wont be satisfied.

Never heard any of the others u mentioned so I can't comment on either although I will say in general deftechs subs are overpriced IMHO

Yamaha rxv373

Ascend acoustics cbm 340se mains
Ascend acoustics 340se center
Ascend acoustics 170se rear SS

Rythmik lv12r
Dual rythmik fv15hps
post #9 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimmyw13 View Post

Comparable to those. ~1000-1200
It's really not for "me" (it is, but it isn't) my father in law is wanting something "bitchin" and I'd appreciate stealing his living room from time to time. So the DIY route is out.

I know the freq doesn't go quite as low, but these are the 2 he said he was looking at. I told him I'd look into it. I'd LOVE to be able to blow the pictures off the walls. I want to feel the bass when I pop in some Battlefield 3.
Ok the room is 18x18 and all hardwood. The walls are hardwood paneling or cabinets. Also it's pretty open; 2 large openings for entry to the room. So now you have me wondering if that'd work. I just saw the low frequency and thought that'd be nice...

PSA XV30 - just a bit over your budget, but should get the job done. biggrin.gif And, most definitely "Bitchin'". wink.gif
post #10 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Look at the ID subs, they should easily best at that price point what your FIL is considering. If he wants something he's heard of in a brick & mortar store checkout the Klipsch RW12d at newegg.com, goes on sale regularly for $300 delivered; two of those would blow away either of the ones he's looking at at half the price...and two would create a much more even response in room. The Seaton is out of his price range but pretty much the top of the heap in a smallish single enclosure. The HSU VTF15H right now at 879 in black satin is a great sub for the $.

post #11 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Look at the ID subs, they should easily best at that price point what your FIL is considering. If he wants something he's heard of in a brick & mortar store checkout the Klipsch RW12d at newegg.com, goes on sale regularly for $300 delivered; two of those would blow away either of the ones he's looking at at half the price...and two would create a much more even response in room. The Seaton is out of his price range but pretty much the top of the heap in a smallish single enclosure. The HSU VTF15H right now at 879 in black satin is a great sub for the $.

Recomending the dual rw12ds is a great idea esspecially being the room is square and the corners of the room will likely be bass heavy and everywhere else in the room will pokey be incisistent basswise with one sub. Dual subs should greatly reduce this problem.

That being said IV never had dual subs and I'm no expert, just going with what the experts have told me

Yamaha rxv373

Ascend acoustics cbm 340se mains
Ascend acoustics 340se center
Ascend acoustics 170se rear SS

Rythmik lv12r
Dual rythmik fv15hps
post #12 of 22 Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 11
I've had a CVA-121 for about 2 years and it's ridiculously powerful and efficient. The built-in parametric EQ allows you to customize the output to your exact space and desired feel. I believe for home theater you will want the CVHF-A21S. I love mine and will never use all the power it is capable of delivering.
newc33 likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
I have also used a sub with a remote control and I loved it.

The DT SC8000 doesn't compete all that well with ID subs in the same (or less) price range,but I think you might be satisfied with the DT SC8000, especially if you can negotiate a lower price than MSRP. IMHO, most people here have never had a remote controlled sub and don't know what their missing :-)

Have you looked at Velodyne, they also make a number of models with remote control..
post #14 of 22 Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I like the Rythmik offerings in the $1K range myself, but PSA, HSU, and SVS all have solid offerings.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The only good points about the SuperCubes is that they have a remote control, different EQ settings and that they are very small in size. Their performance is really dependent on placement. When situated right, they can sound pretty good, but their output is variable. You can extended the lower bass by going to EQ setting 1, but it is very limited in output. You can go to higher volume in EQ4 but low end extension is non-existent. The other two settings compromise the bass extension and volume.

The disadvantage is that they are very expensive for their performance and I never see them discounted. For that type of money, you can find other subs that will perform better.

I must admit that the SC8000 seems to be a lot bigger upgrade than the SC4000 to SC6000.

post #16 of 22 Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone's interested I'm trying to sell mine. 1 year old, like new. Shoot me a PM.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #17 of 22 Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anyone's interested I'm trying to sell mine. 1 year old, like new. Shoot me a PM.

What are you selling and where do you live?

post #18 of 22 Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm selling the SC 8000 and I live in Hilo.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #19 of 22 Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:

I'm selling the SC 8000 and I live in Hilo.

Bro.. I'm selling my dual SC Reference which is about 3 months old. And I live in Honolulu..
post #20 of 22 Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Bro.. I'm selling my dual SC Reference which is about 3 months old. And I live in Honolulu..

At least you have some market for it over there. High end in Hilo is a $199 Samsung box from Sears. rolleyes.gif

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #21 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

Wherever you live, get rid of them as soon as possible. You'd thank your luck stars. You could get ID duals for the price of one SCRef, which could smoke SCRef in every department.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #22 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 AM

I know the freq doesn't go quite as low, but these are the 2 he said he was looking at. I told him I'd look into it. I'd LOVE to be able to blow the pictures off the walls. I want to feel the bass when I pop in some Battlefield 3.I most likely would not buy it again, if for some reason I had returned it or something. Only the remote is keeping me from seriously thinking of selling it and trying one of the ID brand subs.

gCmKkL

The Seaton is out of his price range but pretty much the top of the heap in a smallish single enclosure. 

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page