Fathom f113 's concurrent !??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ive been passing a part of my day at a specialized HT store today to see and hear some subs ... i had never heard a sealed sub before , and i thought it would be a good + so i can chose if i go sealed or ported .

they didnt had anything really interesting , just some crazy expensive brand like Dali and martin logan ... but in 1 of their big show room , they had a F113 there sitting , waiting for me to hear it !

i did listen to iron man 2... and i have to say i was blown away ! those punch in my chest tight and strong ... the firework explosion was the same was if it would be the 4th of july in front of me ! really really liked the experience !

during the film, i was not hearing useless bass , only the precise bass from the action going ... ( compared to my father's paradigm pdr-10 , it sound like hiphop bass going during the whole action )

my gf was with me and she told me the sound was loud but really easy and pleasent to listen to

if the price of that sub would not have been 3.500$ , i would have bought it right away ! no question asked !

the sad part is they didnt had any Ported sub of that category , so i couldnot hear the diference ...

so here is my question , what sub would give me the same or better feelings as the f113 did produce this afternoon ?

and does the ported sub hit hard like this also ? i know the fv15hp have overall better spl/db , but the reason of that punch in the chest is the fruit of sealed sub or not ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Liked: 20
For its size probably nothing compares. However, you may want to look at internet dealers for subs with better performance at similar or cheaper price points. I have to F113s and they are really spectacular. The only thing I could find that outperformed them with a "smallish" footprint was the Funk Audio series. The 18.0C are rumored to be pretty chest thumping in a relatively small size. I have 2 18.0s coming in myself :-).

If size is not your main criteria, offerings from Seaton Sound or JTR give the fathoms a run for their money.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

what about f15hp ? or sb13-ultra ? or even the ported one fv15hp / xv30 ?
post #4 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I originally wanted the F113 but it's too expensive. Now i'm getting the SB13 ultra. SQ should be the same (or better depending on preference) with a little less output.

home theater addict
post #5 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

SQ ?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sound quality

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #7 of 12 Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Liked: 11
Svs pb13 ultra is an amazing sub. I would pick the svs over the jl. The jl is more for music but I among most people use my subs for more than just one thing. Not saying the jl is only good for music, I've just heard most people prefer svs for ht and jl for music. Plus you can buy 2 svs pb13 utras for the same price and get a flatter frequency response.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunxbox View Post

Svs pb13 ultra is an amazing sub. I would pick the svs over the jl. The jl is more for music but I among most people use my subs for more than just one thing. Not saying the jl is only good for music, I've just heard most people prefer svs for ht and jl for music. Plus you can buy 2 svs pb13 utras for the same price and get a flatter frequency response.

im actualy pretty happy u answered the post and tryed to help! But ! u cant compare a pple to orange .. F113 is a sealed sub in small enclose... pb13 is Hudge vented sub ....
post #9 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoreborn View Post

im actualy pretty happy u answered the post and tryed to help! But ! u cant compare a pple to orange .. F113 is a sealed sub in small enclose... pb13 is Hudge vented sub ....

And that's why i recommend the SB13 ultra. It's sealed and has the same size driver. It's half the cost also.

home theater addict
post #10 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

do u have the sb13 atm?
post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunxbox View Post

There's no such thing as a "musical sub." A subs job is to reproduce the low frequency information that's on the source. Music or movies.

home theater addict
post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoreborn View Post

do u have the sb13 atm?

Not yet. I'll be getting it soon.

home theater addict