Looking to buy some subs SB13 Ultra Vs. CHT SS18.2 vs ?? - AVS Forum
1 2 
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Looking to buy some subs SB13 Ultra Vs. CHT SS18.2 vs ??
Suburban1's Avatar Suburban1 07:28 AM 03-31-2013
Looking to buy some bass for my theater room. It is a 16x14x8 room that is open to the rest of the house. So I seen that I could get a b stock sb13 ultra for $1500 shipped and that would be around the price for a pair of CHT SS18.1 subs with the MQ600 amp shipped, Wondering what you guys thought of these two subs and which may work best. It will mainly be used for movies, I heard the rave reviews for the sb13 ultra but not sure if it will be able to fill the space.

shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 01:14 PM 03-31-2013
Lol, these are two very different subs, I don't know why you are considering such disparate types. The CHT subs will have waay more output, but the price you pay for that is space, those subs are behemoths. The SB13 will pack a lot of punch for its size, but it won't have anything like the output of the CHT subs. Its made to get some decent bass from something that the wife can live with. CHT is more for dedicated theater rooms. I would much rather have the CHT subs, but I do not have a significant other to contend with.
ratm's Avatar ratm 06:06 PM 03-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Lol, these are two very different subs, I don't know why you are considering such disparate types. The CHT subs will have waay more output, but the price you pay for that is space, those subs are behemoths. The SB13 will pack a lot of punch for its size, but it won't have anything like the output of the CHT subs. Its made to get some decent bass from something that the wife can live with. CHT is more for dedicated theater rooms. I would much rather have the CHT subs, but I do not have a significant other to contend with.

its funny you say that about the WAF. I had convinced her that an Ultra was total function AND form. Then I came across the JTR Cap deal that I got, and she hasnt said a single word about it, and thats with the EP4000 AND Mic2200 sitting on top of it. I knew I had a winner when we were watching Skyfall and during the train crash scene she says my shma-toris just twitched. WINNING...
Suburban1's Avatar Suburban1 07:28 AM 04-01-2013
OK I guess I will start looking for a Cap then:rolleyes:

SVS says their sub will do great in the room but I am a little hesitant, in that I bought a single MFW years ago for a different room after being assured it would be enough and it sadly was not. They are still humming along though.

So the safe bet here would be the pair of SS18.1's then
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 08:26 AM 04-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban1 View Post

OK I guess I will start looking for a Cap then:rolleyes:

SVS says their sub will do great in the room but I am a little hesitant, in that I bought a single MFW years ago for a different room after being assured it would be enough and it sadly was not. They are still humming along though.

Good choice but I'd wait until the next going out of business sale ... rolleyes.gif
Craig Peer's Avatar Craig Peer 10:17 AM 04-01-2013
Quote:
Looking to buy some bass for my theater room. It is a 16x14x8 room that is open to the rest of the house. So I seen that I could get a b stock sb13 ultra for $1500 shipped and that would be around the price for a pair of CHT SS18.1 subs with the MQ600 amp shipped, Wondering what you guys thought of these two subs and which may work best. It will mainly be used for movies, I heard the rave reviews for the sb13 ultra but not sure if it will be able to fill the space.

Why not one of SVS's cylinder subs?
Suburban1's Avatar Suburban1 09:23 AM 04-02-2013
I see they do have some PC13 Ultra cylinder subs for the same price as the sb13Ultra. Does the cylinder Ultra have lots more output? Like closer to that of Dual ss18.1's
gtpsuper24's Avatar gtpsuper24 09:48 AM 04-02-2013
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Good choice but I'd wait until the next going out of business sale ... rolleyes.gif

Yeah really. The most safe bet would be SVS or the JTR. Depends on what his mood is if its going out or not. Thats not something I would waste time and money on. My opinion, pass on anything CHT and in the future you'll be happy you did.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 10:30 AM 04-02-2013
You guys have never even owned CHT products so just going on forum gossip, nice. They never went out of business, just was mad that things had to change. He still would have taken care his customers.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 10:51 AM 04-02-2013
Are you open to used? Here's an awesome deal on a pair of passive JTR Captivators!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447972/jtr-captivator-2-passive-price-lowered-now-accepting-offers
gtpsuper24's Avatar gtpsuper24 03:50 PM 04-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

You guys have never even owned CHT products so just going on forum gossip, nice. They never went out of business, just was mad that things had to change. He still would have taken care his customers.

I don't want to detract from the thread. But its not really gossip when it was posted all over the net. He was pretty PO'd about an election result and decided to poop poop on everyone and shut his business down almost instantly. Whether he makes great products or shoddy ones doesn't matter, why would anyone want to purchase or recommend something from a company that is unstable and unpredictable. I mean in 2014 is he going to do it all over again or is something else going to come up? No your right he never did go out of business, but I would never recommend nor purchase from someone who threatens shutting it all down because he didn't get his way. IMO thats very unfair to his current and future customers.
Suburban1's Avatar Suburban1 09:00 AM 04-03-2013
I would love the used subs but they would be over budget with an amp and shipping. I have nothing but good things about those subs.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:04 AM 04-03-2013
Simple fact, one SB13 vs one CHT 18.2 is no contest as spl and slam is concerned. I own 13's now and a single would get buried by dual 18's. My 13's are more linear down low and have less roll off but enough displacement can overcome that.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 10:09 AM 04-03-2013
Quote:

I would love the used subs but they would be over budget with an amp and shipping. I have nothing but good things about those subs.

He is accepting offers on them, it's probably worth at least shooting him a PM to see what he would take for them. And you could probably get a good amp for around $600 to power both. Might stretch your budget a little, but you would have one kick a$$ setup.
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 10:46 AM 04-03-2013
Quote:

Jeesh, don't get your panties in a bunch MK, I was only kidding (well maybe half kidding) smile.gif
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 10:59 AM 04-03-2013
How many people can't leave alone a certain topic and takes shots when they can. Giving advice on something with no experience is questionable. I have owned many products and honestly Craig had the best cutomer service. Just my real experiences. I just get tired of the shots when they are not needed. If someone screwed me I will say it.
sputter1's Avatar sputter1 03:15 PM 04-03-2013
Quote:

How many people can't leave alone a certain topic and takes shots when they can. Giving advice on something with no experience is questionable. I have owned many products and honestly Craig had the best cutomer service. Just my real experiences. I just get tired of the shots when they are not needed. If someone screwed me I will say it.

You don't need to own one to read the forums and his "Colourful" history. He blew up and stated he was closing. He was looking for a buyer of the company.
He now appears to be staying in business for now. It's hard to recommend a product that may or may not be around till his next "Blowup".
You like his subs and that's fine and dandy but you're doing the forums a disservice if you choose to ignore his recent history, after all its not you that's going to offer support if he "Closes" in 6 months or whatever. My 2cents
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 03:41 PM 04-03-2013
Again, just basing off my experience with the company. He would take care of existing customers. I don't own any of their products right now. All DIY. I don't just recommend because I like something, I base them on the goals of the individual. I have put together many systems for people and have used, CHT, JTR, DIY, Danley, etc.. It depends.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 04:02 PM 04-03-2013
The CHT sealed subs do have great output. But be aware that they have quite a bit of rolloff from their peak at 70hz. The single driver versions are roughly -15db down by 20hz. So you will most likely need good sub EQ capability to get them to respond well in your room, depending on what kind of room gain you get and what other room acoustic issues your room has.

As far as long term support from CHT, well, I agree with some of the others in this thread. There was a LOT of drama last November from the owner of CHT. Way more than would make me comfortable buying from him again.
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 06:10 PM 04-03-2013
Quote:

I agree man. People love to keep taking pot shots at CHT. Haters always gotta hate. Gets old but oh well. Craig's been nothing but nice to me and has given me excellent custmor service. Course thats means nothing to the haters on here.
sputter1's Avatar sputter1 07:14 PM 04-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Quote:

I agree man. People love to keep taking pot shots at CHT. Haters always gotta hate. Gets old but oh well. Craig's been nothing but nice to me and has given me excellent custmor service. Course thats means nothing to the haters on here.

Feel free to point out anything I typed that was in error.

P.s. Cs is generally only available while a company lives, after that all bets are off.
gtpsuper24's Avatar gtpsuper24 07:34 PM 04-03-2013
Quote:

I don't know, maybe if Craig goes bonkers and shuts it all down, you could jump in and offer customer service to everyone thats been left out in the cold.

I would say regardless of whether the CHT subwoofer is a great performer or not compared to the SVS, HSU or whatever isnt the point. Stability is, which from what i've seen isn't all that great. Hopefully it lasts a long time and CHT is successful, but I don't see how anyone could recommend them to anyone, where theres a chance the poster could be left with worthless subwoofers and no one there to help. He'll have huge paper weights.

We've already seen what happens to customers with other unstable companies and we seen the same "haters gonna hate" type comments.

If the OP wants to go with CHT than fine, but he should know the risks and not just get blind sided one day when his amp dies and Craig isn't there anymore.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 09:20 PM 04-03-2013
Quote:

Well, thanks. I appreciate the name calling you've brought to this thread. rolleyes.gif
Jindrak's Avatar Jindrak 10:12 PM 04-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

If the OP wants to go with CHT than fine, but he should know the risks and not just get blind sided one daywhen his amp dies and Craig isn't there anymoree.

All of CHT's offerings are passive. They can/are run by external amps. The only thing proprietary to them are the actual woofers.
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 05:34 AM 04-04-2013
Quote:
All of CHT's offerings are passive.
All their current offerings are passive. IIRC, there's an active 12" sub and an active 15" sub in the works.

Of course, for anyone worried about amp / amp replacement issues, the simple solution is to stick to ChaseHT's passive subs.
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 06:33 AM 04-04-2013
Quote:

MKT, would you mind getting into a bit more detail as to just what was this 'best customer service' that set CHT apart from others you've dealt with?
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 08:22 AM 04-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

MKT, would you mind getting into a bit more detail as to just what was this 'best customer service' that set CHT apart from others you've dealt with?

They were the most honest and did exactly what they said. I am talking just on the sale, shipping times, prices, performance to be expected, etc...
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 09:00 AM 04-04-2013
Quote:

They were the most honest and did exactly what they said. I am talking just on the sale, shipping times, prices, performance to be expected, etc...

Well, looking at performance, I just don't see how this spec could be considered very honest:

"The SS-18.1 has a response curve of +/- 3 dB from 23 Hz to 200 Hz with a natural, 12dB per octave roll-off below 23 Hz to match room gain"

That +/-3db must be based on significant room gain. I know Def Tech does the same kind of thing, but that doesn't make it right.
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 10:01 AM 04-04-2013
Quote:

Understood but I consider those sorts of things as what's expected, IOW the norm. Elements of excellence to me is when a company goes beyond the norm. I recently had an order for several items from Oneida(Anchor Hocking) and one of the items, a bamboo paper towel holder, was defective. I called them up and they sent me a replacement and said there was no need to send the defective one back. I was pleased with not having to be inconvenienced. My son recently took his Audi in for a 5K service. While the car was there, they noticed a nail in one of the tires and simply replaced the tire at no charge. Not repair, replace. To me anyways, before I start labeling CS excellent, they've got to go the extra mike.

When will you be selling your current subs?
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 01:34 PM 04-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Understood but I consider those sorts of things as what's expected, IOW the norm. Elements of excellence to me is when a company goes beyond the norm. I recently had an order for several items from Oneida(Anchor Hocking) and one of the items, a bamboo paper towel holder, was defective. I called them up and they sent me a replacement and said there was no need to send the defective one back. I was pleased with not having to be inconvenienced. My son recently took his Audi in for a 5K service. While the car was there, they noticed a nail in one of the tires and simply replaced the tire at no charge. Not repair, replace. To me anyways, before I start labeling CS excellent, they've got to go the extra mike.

When will you be selling your current subs?

Well, I never needed a repair or replacement for my subs or speakers so. So that part was never tested by anyone. I forgot about SVS, they were one of the best as well but it has been a long time.
1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop