AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

LMAO!

Im thinking about placing one xv15 on each side of the couches like end tables...need to order a mic now.

As Bond would say - shaken, not stirred. biggrin.gif

Your couch will definitely be shaking!!

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 338 Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 850
basshead,
Check this out. It should be very helpful. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/732186/to-bi-amp-or-not-to-bi-amp

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #93 of 338 Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

basshead,
Check this out. It should be very helpful. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/732186/to-bi-amp-or-not-to-bi-amp

thx...sounds like im pissing up a rope lol. live and learn!
post #94 of 338 Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This is a great resource too:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1294455/amplifier-faq

post #95 of 338 Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

that is a great read!
post #96 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok a big update!! I received the xv15's and let me say these bad boys are something sweet. The build quality is nothing short of excellent...I absolutely love the enclosure design!!

Initial hookup after running ypao was me resulting in being severely disappointed!! For some reason ypao wants to pull all the gain out and set the distance to 52ft. However I believe this was attributed to the rocketfish wireless devices. So I removed the devices and hard wired the subs in the front part of the room. I noticed no difference in sound quality other than ypao set the distance to 22ft, which resulted in more output, but I had nulls everywhere. So I hooked the rocketfish devices back up, moved the subs on each end of my couch near field with the ports facing adjacent walls, then manually set up the AVR and phasing...WOW!! These xv15's are so musical, deep, and clean!! Truly Impressed no doubt! All my listening positions are now filled with tight clean bass that drops so low, you almost think there is a earthquake! Now Everybody that comes over will be in the "sweet spot"! Hoping I receive the mic soon so I can take some measurements and post the results... stay tuned!!

post #97 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats basshead! I told ya, PSAs simply rock.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #98 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I predict that pic frame on the left sub ain't gonna stay there long. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #99 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Congrats basshead! I told ya, PSAs simply rock.

yes they do!! I appreciate your advice along the way as well!!!
post #100 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Great news! smile.gif

post #101 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great news! smile.gif

thanks! my only question is why ypao does not set my distances and gain correctly on my subs? 2 different sets of subs, same problem. no biggie really since i dialed it manually, but yea its wierd.
post #102 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks! my only question is why ypao does not set my distances and gain correctly on my subs? 2 different sets of subs, same problem. no biggie really since i dialed it manually, but yea its wierd.
YPAO isnt the greatest for subs. Add the fact that you have 2 and it is designed for 1 then it will never work properly.

post #103 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YPAO isnt the greatest for subs. Add the fact that you have 2 and it is designed for 1 then it will never work properly.

Lol I wondered...good that makes me feel better. Now Im thinking about using y adapters to plug into both inputs? I have seen opinions both ways...thoughts?
post #104 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lol I wondered...good that makes me feel better. Now Im thinking about using y adapters to plug into both inputs? I have seen opinions both ways...thoughts?
Its unnecessary and has no advantage.

post #105 of 338 Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its unnecessary and has no advantage.

ahh ok thats what i figured.
post #106 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

got my dayton microphone, now trying to setup rew...do i need to calibrate my soundcard to measure frequency or can i skip it? Im a newb with this so all help is greatly appreciated!!

I thought all I needed was a laptop and the umm-6 mic? from reading the rew help section, it says not to use the laptops headphone output? I am confused here?
post #107 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

got my dayton microphone, now trying to setup rew...do i need to calibrate my soundcard to measure frequency or can i skip it? Im a newb with this so all help is greatly appreciated!!

I thought all I needed was a laptop and the umm-6 mic? from reading the rew help section, it says not to use the laptops headphone output? I am confused here?
Wish I could help but thats above my pay grade. I think theres a thread dedicated to that stuff. You may want to look for it and try posting there.

post #108 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would try browsing through some of this stuff while youre waiting for a response.

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch?advanced=1&containingforum%5B0%5D=113&output=all&resultSortingPreference=relevance&search=REW&type=all

post #109 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:

You might have misread the help section as in looking the help section over, or, I might have misunderstood your lament. The help section mentions not using the "input" as opposed to not using the output.
Quote:
A soundcard (internal or external) with line inputs and outputs. Note that most PC and laptop mic inputs are NOT suitable and should not be used (they have too much gain and most suffer from high noise levels and limited bandwidth). Inexpensive soundcards are typically adequate, a reference measurement or a loopback connection can be used to remove the soundcard's frequency response from the measurement. Examples of USB soundcards which have been found to work well are the Soundblaster MP3+, Soundblaster Live! 24-bit USB External, Turtle Beach Audio Advantage RSM, Behringer UCA202 and the M-Audio MobilePre-USB. Higher quality units that work well are the EMU 0404 and the Tascam 144.

If using a high end sound card, you'll be fine. Also, I'm sure you know this, the UMM-6 is a USB microphone so you'd plug into your laptop using a USB port.

-
post #110 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

You might have misread the help section as in looking the help section over, it's mentions not using the "input."
If using a high end sound card, you'll be fine. Also, I'm sure you know this, the UMM-6 is a USB microphone so you'd plug into your laptop using a USB port.

Ok thanks! however I was informed here in this forum all I needed was a umm-6 mic and a laptop...so I obviously need more? My question is what is the best way to interface my hp g70 laptop with my rx-v773 so I can use rew? Or do I not need to do this? I guess Im confused on how to loopback to calibrate my sound card?
post #111 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks! however I was informed here in this forum all I needed was a umm-6 mic and a laptop...so I obviously need more? My question is what is the best way to interface my hp g70 laptop with my rx-v773 so I can use rew? Or do I not need to do this? I guess Im confused on how to loopback to calibrate my sound card?

Just plug the USB microphone into the laptop. You should need the microphone, a USB cable, your laptop and a downloaded copy of REW. :confused"

If you needed anything else, it would be an independent sound meter to calibrate REW and to set the measuring volume of the subwoofer using the sub's gain knob and the AVR provided pink noise.

That's it. Microphone stand and additional cabling aside, unless a ground loop problem, that's it.

Our measuring kit comprises of:

A microphone.

A microphone stand.

A phantom power supply as we're not able to use a USB microphone.

Connecting cables.

A ground loop isolator.

RCA connectors to connect the isolator to the AVR.

A place to store it all when not in use.

A downloaded copy of REW.

And a boatload of time to measure the room and play with the subwoofer/AVR settings so as do one's best to improve the measuring graph.

That's it.

-
post #112 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just plug the USB microphone into the laptop. You should need the microphone, a USB cable, your laptop and a downloaded copy of REW. :confused"

If you needed anything else, it would be an independent sound meter to calibrate REW and to set the measuring volume of the subwoofer using the sub's gain knob and the AVR provided pink noise.

That's it. Microphone stand and additional cabling aside, unless a ground loop problem, that's it.

I have all of that and the mic is plugged in, but the tutorial said something about calibrating my sound card first, then the mic? would you mind taking the time to give me a quick step by step for noob guide on how to run this thing for sub measurements? I will paypal you some cash!! Thanks
post #113 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM

No money allowed. tongue.gif

Also, I do a terrible step-by-step tutorial.

First things first, you're fine if you don't calibrate the sound card. The important thing would be to get you up and running.

The USB microphone should have available, a calibration file. If purchased from Parts-Express, you can download the calibration file, no charge from Dayton.

On YouTube, there's an entry level video you can checkout.

This tutorial should get you moving forward and includes sound card calibration directions.
post #114 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No money allowed. tongue.gif

Also, I do a terrible step-by-step tutorial.

First things first, you're fine if you don't calibrate the sound card. The important thing would be to get you up and running.

The USB microphone should have available, a calibration file. If purchased from Parts-Express, you can download the calibration file, no charge from Dayton.

On YouTube, there's an entry level video you can checkout.

This tutorial should get you moving forward and includes sound card calibration directions.

my confusion is how to interface my laptop with my AVR, which the tutorial speaks nothing about? If I can not use the headphone out on my Laptop how to I get audio to my AVR? What am I missing??

Can I use the hdmi out on my laptop direct to my avr?
post #115 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM

You can use the headphone out to your AVR.

My setup is such that I cable from the computer's headphone out to the AVR using the AUX setting and the front two RCA connections.

The settings to the computer headphone out gets a bit tricky.

If using Windows 7 or something Windows related.

Set the speaker volume to 100%

Set the microphone level in the computer setting to 15 or so.

...right click the speaker icon
...left click "recording devices"
...double left click the check "line in"

Doing the above should activate the USB connection for the USB microphone.
post #116 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

here is my first measurement. I used my hdmi out from my laptop to avr and downloaded the mic calibration file. I then proceeded to calibrate the mic spl at 60db...however the spl seems off because it sure as hell seems louder than 70db(my avr was @ -1.5db)...if this is not correct let me know? this is two measurements taken, all i did was change distance settings on subs.

post #117 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have all of that and the mic is plugged in, but the tutorial said something about calibrating my sound card first, then the mic? would you mind taking the time to give me a quick step by step for noob guide on how to run this thing for sub measurements? I will paypal you some cash!! Thanks
lol

post #118 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol

hey now take it easy...I was having a newb moment! tongue.gif
post #119 of 338 Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

edit* looking at the graph again they do not appear to be rolling off hard, it just looks that way at first because of the boost in the 30hz range.
post #120 of 338 Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok calibrated my sound card and ran another measurement...thoughts?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page