Boston VR-500 rattles - fix it or replace it with what??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a Boston VR-500 subwoofer for ages (since the late 90s) and it has just crapped out on me. It sometimes works, sometimes I don't hear it at all, but most of the times I hear loud rattling from the subwoofer.

I have read that this might be fixable by replacing the foam rings on the actual speaker assembly.

Would it be worth it - or is it time to replace this subwoofer? I have a budget of about $500 (give or take a bit) to spend and would not like to get something less than what I had. And I admit freely that, due to the great experience I had with my setup, I have not been in the market for new home audio equipment for years - so I basically have no clue anymore.

Here is what I have:

Yamaha DSP-A1 amp
Front / Main Speakers: ELAC FS 207
Center: ELAC CM 80/4
Rears: Boston Accoustics VR-Pro
Sub: Boston VR 500

So what would be a good replacement for the sub? I use this setup mostly for home theater but I would not want to need earplugs for the occasional concert video, musical or music video. The Boston has always been good for me in delivering massive bass but still being musical.

Ah, final remark: while the ELACs came with me from Europe, I am now on the Canada/US border and can shop both countries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 426
You probably couldn't go wrong with two Klipsch RW-12Ds, often on sale at Newegg for $299 each.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to Alan P for taking the time to reply. Thanks to all the rest for the seriously underwhelming replies. ;-)

I decided to refoam the speaker in the end. At least for the VR-500, this was easier than I thought. The subwoofer is working very well again and I can spend $500 on something else.