dual subs need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had a subwoofer for the past year and I just got a second one today and it is the same model but I think they switched the plate amp on this new one. The old one has a huge heatsink on the back the new one doesn't among other small things such as the on/off switch and phase switch are plastic the old ones were metal and the texture of the plate amp is different. I noticed these things by an issue I'm having that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I set them both the same about 50% volume and crossover maxxed out because I set the crossover on my receiver. But even the they are set the same the new one is just thumping away and my older one is just vibrating. So I have my old one set to like 60% and the new one to about 40%. I know the new one isn't broken in yet and that may be a factor and I also have my old sub plugged into the same outlet as my amp and my new sub in a different outlet but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Maybe I have them set up wrong or maybe its just because it might have a different amp in it I don't know. Any input would help thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 233
What make/model of sub are we talking about?

Regardless, you should gain match the subs when using multiples. See this post.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #3 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

They are both cerwin vega cmx12s.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

What make/model of sub are we talking about?

Regardless, you should gain match the subs when using multiples. See this post.
They are both Cerwin Vega cmx12s
post #5 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

You must have bought them before and after CV made a design change to the sub. That sucks when you're trying to get identical subs.

If you gain match them, you should be alright though.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #6 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

You must have bought them before and after CV made a design change to the sub. That sucks when you're trying to get identical subs.

If you gain match them, you should be alright though.

I want to gain match them but it's unlistenable like it's not a subtle difference it's pretty substantial.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunxbox View Post

I want to gain match them but it's unlistenable like it's not a subtle difference it's pretty substantial.
At the risk of stating the obvious turn the louder one down and the softer one up, as much as is required to get them sounding the same.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

At the risk of stating the obvious turn the louder one down and the softer one up, as much as is required to get them sounding the same.

I turned the louder one to about 30% and the softer one to about 60% I hope once the new one breaks in it evens out a bit.
I have them hooked through a y adapter into the lfe. Is that good or should I use 2 more y adapters for the subs and set the crossover on the subs themselves?
post #9 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I turned the louder one to about 30% and the softer one to about 60% I hope once the new one breaks in it evens out a bit.
I have them hooked through a y adapter into the lfe. Is that good or should I use 2 more y adapters for the subs and set the crossover on the subs themselves?
The single Y is fine. You set the crossover on the receiver as that not only sets the low pass to the subs but also the high pass to the other speakers. You still can use the internal low pass filters on the subs to increase the overall low pass slope, which better filters out above bandwidth harmonics.

post #10 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

One Y adapter is fine. Use your AVR's crossover and set the subs' crossovers as high as they will go or "off" if your subs have that option.

Where the gain knobs on the subs are physically pointing makes no difference. As long as they are gain matched you'll be good to go.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #11 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The single Y is fine. You set the crossover on the receiver as that not only sets the low pass to the subs but also the high pass to the other speakers. You still can use the internal low pass filters on the subs to increase the overall low pass slope, which better filters out above bandwidth harmonics.

And that won't cause phasing issues between the 2 crossovers?
post #12 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

The old level matching technique comes in handy!

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #13 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And that won't cause phasing issues between the 2 crossovers?
No. If anything the reduction in the bandwidth overlap between the sub and mains outputs improves the overall system phase relationships.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Alright I'll play around with it. Thanks you all for the help. Worst case scenario I'll put my old sub in the new box and take it back and order a new one online.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

So this little problem started to really bug me so I thought I'd look at them again. Upon further inspection I thought the new one without the heatsink might be lighter so I weighed them. The older one 39.6 pounds. The new one 30.8... Wait what? There's no way they are the same model. On both of the boxes it claims 40 pounds. So I'm not to sure on this. I wonder if it's a change in the model? if someone screwed up at the factory? If it's a knock off? Or if it's some half gutted Frankenstein refurbished piece of junk. Although the new one is way more efficient. Don't know what to do. I've contacted customer support but no reply.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page