Two parallel subwoofer cables instead of one Y-splitted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Luge8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

first I hope this issue wasnt solved already as I was unable to find it.

My situation is as follows:
I have Onkyo TX-NR809 AV receiver and I just bough Bowers & Wilkins ASW610 (active) subwoofer to expand my home cinema. I searched a lot for some decent subwoofer cable as I didnt want to spend much money but I wanted something that was tested and reviewed by others. Also I really wanted Y-splitted cable.

However, as the time went I got tired searching and decided to go with Blue Jeans LC-1 subwoofer cable which got a lot of great reviews from AVS forum members but not Y-splitted.

And now I wonder:
I am really sad I will leave one of the line-ins of subwoofer empty (as the cable is not Y-splitted) and an idea came across my mind: As my AV receiver has two subwoofer outs, what about interconnect the AV receiver and subwoofer with two (same) cables (in parallel manner). In Onkyo's user manual there is written:

"You can connect the powered subwoofer with two SUBWOOFER PRE OUT jacks respectively.The same signal is output from each jack."

Do somebody have any experience with this? What are possible drawbacks? Will it have same effect as Y-splitted cable?

Thanks for your answers.
Luge8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luge8 View Post

Hi,

first I hope this issue wasnt solved already as I was unable to find it.

My situation is as follows:
I have Onkyo TX-NR809 AV receiver and I just bough Bowers & Wilkins ASW610 (active) subwoofer to expand my home cinema. I searched a lot for some decent subwoofer cable as I didnt want to spend much money but I wanted something that was tested and reviewed by others. Also I really wanted Y-splitted cable.

However, as the time went I got tired searching and decided to go with Blue Jeans LC-1 subwoofer cable which got a lot of great reviews from AVS forum members but not Y-splitted.

And now I wonder:
I am really sad I will leave one of the line-ins of subwoofer empty (as the cable is not Y-splitted) and an idea came across my mind: As my AV receiver has two subwoofer outs, what about interconnect the AV receiver and subwoofer with two (same) cables (in parallel manner). In Onkyo's user manual there is written:

"You can connect the powered subwoofer with two SUBWOOFER PRE OUT jacks respectively.The same signal is output from each jack."

Do somebody have any experience with this? What are possible drawbacks? Will it have same effect as Y-splitted cable?

Thanks for your answers.

It makes no difference at all. The sub won't feel bad about only getting input from one RCA connector, and the possible level effect can be completely corrected by adjusting the volume control on the sub. In other words, you'd likely end up with a lower volume control setting on your sub with the two inputs. But that makes zero difference to anything (unless you have trouble with an auto-on feature - - then turn the sub down some more and recalibrate so that the receiver's signal is higher so the sub will "hear" it sooner). In the end you want to calibrate the sub level so it is "correct" versus the othe rspeakers and you do not need to go into both inputs to do sol
JHAz is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Luge8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for reply.

Nevertheless, just leave out the fact that there probably wont be anything more than slight improvement (and maybe even no improvement at all) as I am aware of it.

Are there any risks with this configuration? The only possible problem that comes to my mind is that the two subwoofer outs on AVR wont be 100% synchronised (will be giving somehow different signal) but I believe that wont happen. Any more ideas?

Thanks.
Luge8 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Basically, hooking up both inputs, doubles the gain by 3dB.

I use this to increase the call voltage on an auto-on feature. If manually turning a subwoofer on (old school), then you're good with just the one connection. I have three subwoofers hooked up and they're all hooked up via a single RCA connection..

Yes, it's a foreign concept to leave a plug unplugged but a subwoofer is a mono signal. And just like your light bulb only needs two wires, the subwoofer only needs two wires (one RCA plug) worth of input.

I have five "Y" connectors in the spare cable box and a boatload of appropriate, 2m subwoofer interconnect cables. Today, I'll receiver another "Y" connector (needed for proper gender connection) and another subwoofer cable so I'm using same length subwoofer connection cables.

Below are links to items that are in the mail and will be here when FedEx makes today's delivery.

"Y"

Subwoofer cable

I find the above cables to be the "BEST" cable design: price/performance. You can get cheaper, you can get more expensive. I find the look, feel, build quality and if one has Prime membership, two day shipping is included, to be the best. And considering the price of gasoline, if one is a budget minded shopper, two gallons of gas adds to the cost of everything, real fast.

As to your question regarding parallel cables, in my case, I solved that problem by separating a single, side-by-side stereo cable into two separate mono cables and now I have two 8' RCA-RCA, male connector tipped cables. tongue.gif

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luge8 View Post

there is written:

"You can connect the powered subwoofer with two SUBWOOFER PRE OUT jacks respectively.The same signal is output from each jack."
Read that again. Two cables, one cable, one cable with a Y, the same signal goes to the sub no matter which way you do it. The AVR has two outputs so that you may plug in two subs without having to use a Y cord to do it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Luge8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I said, I am aware of the fact that Y-splitted cable has only small effect on sound quality (rather no effect on quality but just +3dB of volume). However, I also heart on this forum that some people recognized some sound improvement with the Y-splitter (deeper and clearer sound etc.). I know that these purely subjective evaluations are very doubtful; however, I think I can spend 20USD more on cable when I spent 750 bucks on the subwoofer in order to get the most of it (even if there are serious doubts about the effect). I will think about it because objectively I know there will be most probably no difference but subjectively I really want it smile.gif. In the end, I am quite sure I wont sleep well until I try it...

Conclusion (if i get it right):
If you dont have Y-splitted cable and you want to connect your subwoofer with both of its connectors you can use two parallel cables of the same type and length to same effect as Y-splitted cable would have (if there are conditions for this kind of connection like dual AVR sub out).

Thank you for inputs.
Luge8 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luge8 View Post

I think I can spend 20USD more on cable when I spent 750 bucks on the subwoofer in order to get the most of it (even if there are serious doubts about the effect). I will think about it because objectively I know there will be most probably no difference but subjectively I really want it smile.gif. In the end, I am quite sure I wont sleep well until I try it...

Volume increases are perceived by the listener as an improvement in sound quality. In the case of comparisons between amplifiers, it's paramount that output be level matched so equal strength signals goes out to the accompanying speakers. In double blind amplifier comparisons, beyond random chance, it's been shown time and again, there's no difference between the quality of sound produced by amplifiers. In other words, once the curtain goes down, once level/gain matched, if each of the amplifiers are operating within factory specifications, beyond chance, the listener isn't going be able to tell which amplifier is being used.

If someone wants to kill themselves above and beyond random and double-blind, they're welcome to and if it takes tens of thousands of spent dollars to make them happy, I wholeheartedly support their decision to do so.

I submit, for your peace of mind, it's the same with a "Y" splitter and subwoofer. Yes, the signal strength is going be increased and yes, there is a perception that due to an increase in volume, the sound quality has been improved but in the case of multiple subs, one uses each of the sub's gain control to, as best as possible, gain match each subwoofer so at a given distance, with a given pink noise signal, each sub is producing (projecting) the same amount of output. By doing this, any output gained due to using a "Y" connection is nullified and with this nullification, will go any perception of quality of sound gain.

In the end, I encourage everybody to go with what makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luge8 View Post

I also heart on this forum that some people recognized some sound improvement with the Y-splitter (deeper and clearer sound etc.).
They imagined some improvement. If you think that doing something will make it sound better, chances are it will. Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luge8 View Post

Thank you for reply.

Nevertheless, just leave out the fact that there probably wont be anything more than slight improvement (and maybe even no improvement at all) as I am aware of it.

Are there any risks with this configuration? The only possible problem that comes to my mind is that the two subwoofer outs on AVR wont be 100% synchronised (will be giving somehow different signal) but I believe that wont happen. Any more ideas?

Thanks.
the 2 outputs for subs are internaly Y connected. Moreover if they were not syncronized, thatmight make no difference but could damage the preformance of a sub receiving both. I cannot imagine a situation in which a single signal delivered two timew "out of sync" would be a good thing, unless you'e designing a chorus or phaser pedal for guitarists to use.
JHAz is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off